• Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,371
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

21 minutes ago, Annette said:

Thanks SisterActs2,

It is good to hear from you. 

It is so nice to get to meet and interact with people in this group.

I enjoy finding out about people. So reading details like you enjoying John and Psalms 91, is special.

My father in law has memorized Psalm 91, and uses it as a prayer before traveling.

One of my favorites at the moment is Psalm One.

I trust you will have a good week. Blessings.:)

Psalm One, is indeed my favorite Psalm.   Here is a version from a Bible that most never heard of, but i have inherited from an uncle.   This Psalm summarize the believer from the unbeliever in a few short sweet words. 

Happy the man
who never follows the advice of the wicked,
or loiters on the way that sinners take,
or sits  about with scoffers,
but find his pleasure in the Law of Yaweh,
and mumurs his law night and day.

He is like a tree that is planted
by watered streams
yielding its fruit in season,
its leaves never fading;
success attends all he does.
It is nothing like this with the wicked, nothing like this!

No, these are like chaff
blown away by the wind.
The wicked will not stand firm when judgement comes,
nor sinners when the virtuous assemble.
For Yahweh takes care of the way the virtuous go,
but the way of the wicked is doomed.

Edited by warrior12

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  7

1 minute ago, warrior12 said:

psalm One, is indeed my favorite Psalm.   Here is a version from a Bible that most never heard of, but i have inherited from an uncle.   This Psalm summarize the believer from the unbeliever in a few short sweet words. 

Happy the man
who never follows the advice of the wicked,
or loiters on the way that sinners take,
or sits  about with scoffers,
but find his pleasure in the Law of Yaweh,
and mumurs his law night and day.

He is like a tree that is planted
by watered streams
yielding its fruit in season,
its leaves never fading;
success attends all he does.
It is nothing like this with the wicked, nothing like this!

No, these are like chaff
blown away by the wind.
The wicked will not st and firm when judgement comes,
nor sinners when the virtuous assemble.
For Yahweh takes care of the way the virtuous go,
but the way of the wicked is doomed.

Thanks Warrior12, I appreciate you taking time to share it. It was refreshing to read it. Blessings.^_^

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  1

39 minutes ago, Annette said:

I hadn't thought about audio books from the library. Thank you.

You're welcome. :) 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5

On 5/26/2017 at 3:03 AM, Fidei Defensor said:

The Bible is all we need for sound doctrine and spiritual nourishment. Other devotionals can be helpful, I like The Imitation of Christ myself, but they must be examined and assessed via Scripture especially when it deviates or goes into realm Bible is silent on. Devotionals can be helpful or harmful.

But other books help us see things, history, sociology, fiction, and etc. can be used by Christ help us know more about people and their cultures. If you are going to China, India, or Africa, shouldn't you know something about those places, history, beliefs, and people?

Indeed for sound doctrine, the Bible is the sole source for truth as we know it is the word of God.   The human mind is complex as is known and some have their pleasure senses tickled more than others in different areas.  Some may like sports, others cooking ect.  Reading is one of those pleasure that is just un-explainable as to how someone could love it so much, while others, run from books or is lethargic when it comes to doing so.    Good and solid Christian writings i find is nourishing to  the soul and it enhances and reinforces a Christian to stay on the path.  But as the saying goes," To each his own".

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

7 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Indeed for sound doctrine, the Bible is the sole source for truth as we know it is the word of God.   The human mind is complex as is known and some have their pleasure senses tickled more than others in different areas.  Some may like sports, others cooking ect.  Reading is one of those pleasure that is just un-explainable as to how someone could love it so much, while others, run from books or is lethargic when it comes to doing so.    Good and solid Christian writings i find is nourishing to  the soul and it enhances and reinforces a Christian to stay on the path.  But as the saying goes," To each his own".

Indeed, I find Oswald Chambers, Thomas A Kempis, Martin Luther, and more are can reinforce Christian thought and walking the Way (John 14:6). However, we must be careful of the bones in the meat they offer (spit out bones, eat the meat 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21). The Bible in contrast has no bones, all meat. It takes maturity when reading devotionals, eclessiastical writings, and so forth, to not take what author is saying in same vein as the Gospels and New Testament. Just as we must test the spirits of those we are around, we should test the spirit in writings, movies, and etc; none of which are bad things, but we must be careful to trust blindly those who aren't the Apostles and Christ's words. Of course, I am sure I am preaching to choir here.

Succinctly, I think reading other books is fine, just beware of putting them on same altar as The Bible in your esteem and devotion.

1 minute ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Indeed, I find Oswald Chambers, Thomas A Kempis, Martin Luther, and more are can reinforce Christian thought and walking the Way (John 14:6). However, we must be careful of the bones in the meat they offer (spit out bones, eat the meat 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21). The Bible in contrast has no bones, all meat. It takes maturity when reading devotionals, eclessiastical writings, and so forth, to not take what author is saying in same vein as the Gospels and New Testament. Just as we must test the spirits of those we are around, we should test the spirit in writings, movies, and etc; none of which are bad things, but we must be careful to trust blindly those who aren't the Apostles and Christ's words. Of course, I am sure I am preaching to choir here.

Succinctly, I think reading other books is fine, just beware of putting them on same altar as The Bible in your esteem and devotion.

Well said.  I would say and hope that before crossing the street, the thought is to glance both ways before making the trip or it can be an unpleasant one.  If one is not in the word and taking the words of men that can be cleverly manipulated, then it is only him to blame and not the writers, for he should have a standard for his truth. Basically the same what you have said.   Authors are who they are and you do your homework before you buy a book, just like buying a car today, you have to go prepared and check before you sign the dotted line.  take care sir. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

27 minutes ago, warrior12 said:

Well said.  I would say and hope that before crossing the street, the thought is to glance both ways before making the trip or it can be an unpleasant one.  If one is not in the word and taking the words of men that can be cleverly manipulated, then it is only him to blame and not the writers, for he should have a standard for his truth. Basically the same what you have said.   Authors are who they are and you do your homework before you buy a book, just like buying a car today, you have to go prepared and check before you sign the dotted line.  take care sir. 

Indeed, well said! People do research before buying car, home, and etc., but books are more important they effect your soul and can influence your spirit. One must guard their heart in Christ (Philippians 4:7) and as you said be prepared when reading a book by someone who has bones in their book (flex that Alpha and Omega Appendix >organ that use to filter bones in the human body).

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  7

22 hours ago, warrior12 said:

Hey, Warrior12, Reading your comment about how you find good, solid, Christian writings "nourishing to the soul", it reminded me of my aunt. Growing up, whenever we would go to her house, she had books she was reading all through the house. She was never reading only one. We couldn't wait till evening when we would all hear a story before going to bed at her house. I hope you have a good week. Blessings. :emot-lookaround:

55 minutes ago, Annette said:

Hey, Warrior12, Reading your comment about how you find good, solid, Christian writings "nourishing to the soul", it reminded me of my aunt. Growing up, whenever we would go to her house, she had books she was reading all through the house. She was never reading only one. We couldn't wait till evening when we would all hear a story before going to bed at her house. I hope you have a good week. Blessings. :emot-lookaround:

repost

Edited by warrior12

42 minutes ago, Annette said:

This also reminds me of my sister when we were in high school.   You would go to here shared room with my other sisters and books would be all over, bed and all.  She just loved books and the rest of us play and  normal teen things.  My mom use to say, when we asked about our sister, she is reading novels. She is a trained child psychologist today and a believer then and still is.  Thanks for you little story there.