• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Good for him, making cuts to two more over in flayed systems. I'm not against both, but both have a lot of waste, a lot of corruption and is overly abused. By cutting back their budget it will force them to be more selective in who they divy money to, and hopefully more people who actually need it will get the benefits while booting out the slackers and those abusing the system.

Guest shiloh357
5 hours ago, missmuffet said:

This is a good thing.  We have too many able-bodied people taking advantage of Food Stamps who don't need them and way too much waste on both programs and it is time that we trim the fat.   The Food Stamp program should and Welfare both need to be trimmed quite a bit.  Food Stamps are supposed to be a safety net for people who need help while looking for gainful employment.  It was never intended to be form of income, which is how some people use it.

We need to get people off of Food Stamps and other forms of government assistance and back into jobs so they can help shoulder the tax burden instead of being the tax burden.

There is a lot of fat in our government that reasonable cuts would get rid of and funds diverted to things actually worth paying for that will make us a better country.

There are a lot of people who are at or below the poverty level that desperately need this assistance. You don't cut programs without first addressing and cleaning up the fraud. A lot more people are going to suffer. 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,035
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

3 hours ago, Allroses48 said:

There are a lot of people who are at or below the poverty level that desperately need this assistance. You don't cut programs without first addressing and cleaning up the fraud. A lot more people are going to suffer. 

that's difficult for the Federal Government to do for each state administers the dispensing of the program, and it's really not in thier interests to lower what they do for they get less from the Feds when they do.       There just isn't that much of an incentive for most states to be frugal.

3 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

This is a good thing.  We have too many able-bodied people taking advantage of Food Stamps who don't need them and way too much waste on both programs and it is time that we trim the fat.   The Food Stamp program should and Welfare both need to be trimmed quite a bit.  Food Stamps are supposed to be a safety net for people who need help while looking for gainful employment.  It was never intended to be form of income, which is how some people use it.

We need to get people off of Food Stamps and other forms of government assistance and back into jobs so they can help shoulder the tax burden instead of being the tax burden.

There is a lot of fat in our government that reasonable cuts would get rid of and funds diverted to things actually worth paying for that will make us a better country.

I haven't looked at any other state, but here in Oklahoma other than elderly people who are living just on Social Security, the average length of time for a person to be on food stamps is only 18 months.   And one must be a legal resident of Oklahoma to receive them.  I might add that we were one of the States that didn't buy into Obamacare's expansion program.

3 minutes ago, other one said:

that's difficult for the Federal Government to do for each state administers the dispensing of the program, and it's really not in thier interests to lower what they do for they get less from the Feds when they do.       There just isn't that much of an incentive for most states to be frugal.

There are ways to investigate fraud through internal audits and doing background checks on all clients as well as IRS reports, criminal background checks and other things. I wouldn't leave it up to the feds. The state govs all have auditing controls and the ability to do both internal and external audits. You shouldn't cut programs for the most vulnerable. It will only create more suffering. You weed out the fraud. You increase opportunities for education, job training and public health care throughout rural and urban areas as well as crime prevention. Give everyone an equal shake and an opportunity to better their lives.

but the federals don't control who gets what, each state does....   it would cost more for the feds to set up some nation wide auditing program than it would save.  By cutting the amounts given to each state, it will force them to tighten up each state's system.

Guest shiloh357

39 minutes ago, other one said:

I haven't looked at any other state, but here in Oklahoma other than elderly people who are living just on Social Security, the average length of time for a person to be on food stamps is only 18 months.   And one must be a legal resident of Oklahoma to receive them.  I might add that we were one of the States that didn't buy into Obamacare's expansion program.

In Missouri, you can stay on them forever.  You simply have to work around 20 hours week.  If you can work 20 hours, you can work 40 hours.

I think a graded reduction would be the best way.    Someone applies for Food Stamps, they get 100% the first month, 80% the 2nd month, 60% the 3rd month and so on, so that they realize there is an end in sight.  It will push them to find work, knowing that they will get less and less each month.

Other than getting a job or moving out of the state, I don't know why people here get off food stamps.   There isn't any kind of rule that I am aware of, it's just that people don't stay on them for life here unless they are old and living on SS.  It's my understanding that the majority of our medicaid people are children.

Maybe it's because one has to be legal???

Our unemployment is usually lower than the national average, that helps.

We were in Branson last week and there are a lot of job opening posters all over everywhere.