power of tradition

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

Isnt it amazing how idolatrous practices can get integrated into  christian based religion and some  christians wont notice it?Observe this recent experience.

Theres a lady who lives next to our church but doesnt attend ,although her children have. So she asked us for a bible. When she was given a couple, the pastors wife encouraged her to read them. She explained thatt she wanted them  to put above her friends baby's head in the crib. Basically , its a tradition in my country to open a bible  i think to psalms and put in in the crib above a newborn baby's head as protection against spirits.

when she explained it  she asked our pastors wife- Didnt you do it? To which my pastors wife  politely explained that she doesnt need to as she has a personal relationship with God.

Whats interesting is people who arent christian Christianity  or oppose will do  this with their babies as i remember my Rastafarian cousin doing it. Also more amazing was that other christians actually saw nothing wrong with the practice. one actually said- Leave them. Its good that they actually know that the bible has power!:blink:

Not really tho. While the bible itself has power to teach guide rebuke, change lives etc. Giving it supernatural power on that level is bascially idolatry. Sorta like how people think wearing crosses  or getting "holy " water has something supernatural

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

Superstition, Tradition that is super. :P 

Guest Judas Machabeus
5 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Superstition, Tradition that is super. :P 

I would say super duper!!

As for the original post, it is too bad when people go to extremes. Sounds more like a cultural custom taken too far.

Ive always had crucifixes and I carry a rosary everywhere I go. I wear a St Micheal medal around my neck. Not because any of these have magical powers. But because they are remind me of Jesus. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

There are Traditions that are extra Biblical that we adhere to.

1. Veronica cleans Jesus face with a veil on Vie Del Rosa.
  2. The Stations of Cross, and Jesus falling with cross (Scripture records once I believe).
  3. The cross being in Latina (traditional shape) or other shapes, the argument persists to this day.

You can devise these traditions through lots of cross referencing, but they are spelled out.

Superstition varies, it can be harmless to harmful. Generally road of demarcation is the following:

Bad Examples of Superstition: To Be Avoided

• Does the superstition violate Scripture?
  • Does the superstition effect the person's life, as in they won't leave home because of demons (Agorphobia)
  • Does the superstition incorporate pagan, occultic, or other rituals?
  • Does the superstition place trust in an object, ritual, and etc instead of trust in the Divine Trinity? Example an amulet which can be crucifix, but it depends on individual.
  • Does the superstition deprive the person of their livelihood (money) and harm their household's finanaces?
  • Does the superstition do spiritual, emotional, and physical harm to person doing it or those party to it or bystanders?

If you make sign of cross, say a prayer, or so some tick that effects no one and does not employ evil spirits and craft, then its harmless. Better to say Our Father or make sign of cross than curse and use profanity.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

What's the use of a map  if it is kept in the glove pocket, when in search of a destination.   It is there to guide and show you exactly the path you must take and with pinpoint accuracy. :emot-heartbeat:

John 4   King James Version (KJV)

23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Psalm 24     King James Version (KJV)

Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place?

He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Traditions can at times become distractions or worse.  As a small child a Catholic church, I remember the priest walking through the aisle waving a lantern with incense, church members being told to light a candle in front of statues to accomplish something, and more.  The rituals and traditions seemed to take up more time than anything else.  The catechism classes were similar and based on learning repeated chants.  Questions were discouraged.

All that is one of several reasons I left organized religion for more than ten years.  When traditions are first and the lessons in the bible are secondary (at best), something isn't right. 

Its idolatry

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, bryan said:

Traditions can at times become distractions or worse.  As a small child a Catholic church, I remember the priest walking through the aisle waving a lantern with incense, church members being told to light a candle in front of statues to accomplish something, and more.  The rituals and traditions seemed to take up more time than anything else.  The catechism classes were similar and based on learning repeated chants.  Questions were discouraged.

All that is one of several reasons I left organized religion for more than ten years.  When traditions are first and the lessons in the bible are secondary (at best), something isn't right. 

2 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

Its idolatry

Especially when the traditions blatantly oppose Scripture,  abominably (not just a little bit).

Yeah to show how bad it was- a on older christian and I had a heated debate on ghosts. They believe that after we die , our spirit roams the earth a bit  before passing on( no where mentioned in scripture, mtter of fact, the bible says the dead know nothing) I believe "ghosts" are just demons  causing mischief.(what else could it be) They  actually  blasted me and acted like im a superstitious loony

1 hour ago, simplejeff said:

Especially when the traditions blatantly oppose Scripture,  abominably (not just a little bit).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

The trouble with traditions is that if you don`t do it (eg sign of the cross etc) then you can feel like you have done wrong. It becomes a bondage, a have to.