Struggling with overeating

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

A few months ago I fasted for 27 days. I got down to my goal weight, but hard a very hard time adjusting after the fast. I was overeating a lot, and I had digestive problems. I have been struggling ever since, worse than before the fast. 

Struggling to fight the temptation to fast again to just get back down to goal so I feel better about myself again, I've gained 15 pounds back. And also struggling with the desire to even WANT to eat healthy. I know my body is a temple, and I know lots of scripture. But Im not repentant yet. I fear I won't be repentant until I am 50 pounds heavier again. I heard true repentance comes from God, and I haven't really hit rock bottom yet with this. I want to want to change. But I think I care more about vanity than health. 

I do well for a week, but then I fail again. And with sugar and too many carbs in my system i just crave even more. I was thinking of doing a short 24 hour fast to get rid of the sugar without having to make healthy choices for every meal. 

I know I should give it up to God, and I've done a few Christian weight loss programs, and Im currently in a 12 step program (last week was my first time), but I feel like I need motivation right now. I don't think I can do this the slow gradual baby steps way. I feel like I just want to lose the weight fast and get it over with, and then deal with the hard stuff afterwards. But my history has shown me that I fail every time.

Has anyone gone through this and made it out the other side? Or is anyone else struggling as well? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

The answer to overeating is not undereating.  That never works permanently. 

Also - quick weight loss leads to quick weight gain and extra weight gain.  Every. Single. Time. :blink:

What is the answer?  It's eating properly. :laugh:

Try this:  Plan out your meals the night before and then stick to the plan no matter what.  For weight loss that's permanent you need to consider these things:

• Eat mostly protein.  That aids in weight loss.  Protein can be found in so many places besides meat.
  • Don't eliminate carbs altogther.  Eat only slow carbs [fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains].
  • Don't eliminate fats altogether.  Eat limited amounts of healthy fats.
  • Don't eat processed food.  No pre-packaged junk - stuff that has a shelf life of months and even years!  :( No fast food.  No sodas.  Diet sodas are the worst.
  • Find some kind of moving to do on a daily basis for at least an hour [total].  Don't get sedentary.
  • Find something to occupy your emotions and time other than food/weight and thinking about food/weight.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

"And with sugar and too many carbs in my system i just crave even more. "  

There are good reasons for sugar and carbs creating a cycle of constantly wanting more.    One approach that has worked well for me is to switch to a ketogenic / low carb high fat lifestyle.  In simple terms, you eat minimal carbs, adequate protein, and enough fat you aren't ever hungry.   Your body switches to use fat as the primary energy source.  Lower and constant glucose levels generally result in higher and more constant energy levels.  

Note that while this leads people to getting down to their ideal weight, it is more of a lifestyle change than a temporarily diet.   If you decide to investigate this, research all that's involved so things go well.  I switched over the first of this year and have no plans to change back. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,870
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

well if you just hate a low carb diet, Metformin helps

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

7 hours ago, bornagain2011 said:

A few months ago I fasted for 27 days. I got down to my goal weight, but hard a very hard time adjusting after the fast. I was overeating a lot, and I had digestive problems. I have been struggling ever since, worse than before the fast. 

Struggling to fight the temptation to fast again to just get back down to goal so I feel better about myself again, I've gained 15 pounds back. And also struggling with the desire to even WANT to eat healthy. I know my body is a temple, and I know lots of scripture. But Im not repentant yet. I fear I won't be repentant until I am 50 pounds heavier again. I heard true repentance comes from God, and I haven't really hit rock bottom yet with this. I want to want to change. But I think I care more about vanity than health. 

I do well for a week, but then I fail again. And with sugar and too many carbs in my system i just crave even more. I was thinking of doing a short 24 hour fast to get rid of the sugar without having to make healthy choices for every meal. 

I know I should give it up to God, and I've done a few Christian weight loss programs, and Im currently in a 12 step program (last week was my first time), but I feel like I need motivation right now. I don't think I can do this the slow gradual baby steps way. I feel like I just want to lose the weight fast and get it over with, and then deal with the hard stuff afterwards. But my history has shown me that I fail every time.

Has anyone gone through this and made it out the other side? Or is anyone else struggling as well? 

Diets don't work. Just cut the carbs and exercise. Pray to God to give you the strength to succeed. I knew a guy who cut carbs but one day a week he ate anything he wanted. He said that is the only way he could cut the carbs. But you could not do this if you have diabetes.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Thank you all for the great suggestions! 

I definitely believe cutting carbs is a great start. I seem to struggle the most when I allow too many into my diet. It triggers cravings for me. 

I also think that having a full treat day makes eating healthier the next day harder because I have so much junk in my system and it triggers cravings. Maybe I should just allow for some frozen yogurt once a week instead. 

Tomorrow Im going to do a fast, just to get my mind off of food and be busy with other things. I feel too weak right now to make good choices, I just want to stuff my face like I did earlier today. 

I used to intermittently fast for a few years, no problem, I would either just skip breakfast, eat within a certain window of time, or fast once or twice a week. I started getting psychologically crazy from it when I started doing long fasts, like 3 days or more. 

I've tried a ketogenic diet before, but it was just too hard for me to keep up with. Lots of cookbooks and recipes and I got overwhelmed. Plus I started to believe i couldn't lose weight unless I was in ketosis. But I know that's not true because over ten years ago I lost 50 pounds, reached goal, and kept it off for 3 years before getting pregnant. I wasn't even counting calories at the time either. Just eating less and running a lot. A. LOT. My body has changed a lot since those days. 

I would like to maintain a sweet spot of losing weight without obsessing over it, just living my life not really thinking about it. I've been there before. But the "not obsessing" turns into complacency, then laziness, and then backsliding up the scale. It's a neverending cycle it seems. Maybe because they were crash diets and not healthy lifestyles and habits being formed. That might be it.

I have asked one of my Christian friends about it, she is naturally skinny, I just simply asked her how to find balance. She gave me some good advice about honoring my body as a temple and involving God in the process. But now she is yo yoing as well. Her weight has been up and down quite a bit since then.

I asked my other thin friend how she stays away from Halloween candy, I thought she would have some amazing words of wisdom she said "I don't, I eat it!" . That blew me away! But she doesn't beat herself up over it. She's not on any diet, she just continues on with her normal healthy eating. How profound, yet obvious! 

I've rambled on enough. Good night!

Thank you again!