• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Just a personal note:

In three days time  I will have a trial retirement, well kind of; I'm taking the summer off- Going to see how the Europeans live, not going there just taking the summer  "holiday". Never done that in my life. It is a little scary to not work, but I do hope to fill the time well, seeing mostly the cooler mountain areas of the Eastern USA. I have "suffered" the summers in the sub tropics for 39 years. I have had it with that! Least I think I have. Praise God, work has allowed me the time away to spend with my child bride. Time to build a strong bond of marriage partnership. It feels like a good thing, no great. But ya know, I have always worked always. I admit it is scary stuff this time off thing.

Don't know how whole nations of people do it.

But, maybe it is about time to find out-

How do you all spend time off, do you vacation at a special place that you return too each year? Travel? Sit at home and rest, never vacation? And retirement, how many survive that, enjoying it? It is the "goal" for many,retirement, never has been for me. And I feel kinda strange taking the cautious leave of absence approach.

I have thought about using the summer travels to see if there is a new career out there, a business opportunity,  a farm, whatever. Guess the question is how does one  "relax" without purpose beyond relaxing? Is it even a good thing, this relaxing?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Just a personal note:

In three days time  I will have a trial retirement, well kind of; I'm taking the summer off- Going to see how the Europeans live, not going there just taking the summer  "holiday". Never done that in my life. It is a little scary to not work, but I do hope to fill the time well, seeing mostly the cooler mountain areas of the Eastern USA. I have "suffered" the summers in the sub tropics for 39 years. I have had it with that! Least I think I have. Praise God, work has allowed me the time away to spend with my child bride. Time to build a strong bond of marriage partnership. It feels like a good thing, no great. But ya know, I have always worked always. I admit it is scary stuff this time off thing.

Congratulations! :)  I hope you enjoy your time off.

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

How do you all spend time off, do you vacation at a special place that you return too each year? Travel? Sit at home and rest, never vacation? And retirement, how many survive that, enjoying it? It is the "goal" for many,retirement, never has been for me. And I feel kinda strange taking the cautious leave of absence approach.

I have thought about using the summer travels to see if there is a new career out there, a business opportunity,  a farm, whatever. Guess the question is how does one  "relax" without purpose beyond relaxing? Is it even a good thing, this relaxing?

It's been so long since I took an actual vacation I can't even remember.  Back when I could afford to do so I enjoyed camping and enjoying the outdoors.  Most of the time I went to familiar or favorite locations, but once a year I would always try a new place.  I do think it is not only a good thing to relax, but a necessary thing.

God bless

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  1

How wonderful. Safe journey. Take pictures and share when you get back? I've always wanted to see Europe. :) God keep you as you travel. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

3 hours ago, Yowm said:

By the third week of retirement my wife sent me to stay in the dog house lol.

She said after many years of marriage she never really knew me until retirement. Enjoy :)

My Texas bride is the one pushing for me to relax some. She wants me retired. I just don't know, can I stand it? Anyway this summer away from the heat- I do look forward to that, going fishing on  some USA lakes and rivers looking for cheap summer living at Tn, WV NC and Ga.

And we will visit the homeland  NH, and also CA for a coastline run to see family. Should be able to keep busy enough, maybe too busy. I also want to explore if there is a service, a mission, out there that we might fill. We have the itchy foot syndrome that a ministry might  be awaiting us somewhere.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

On 5/24/2017 at 3:42 PM, Gary Lee said:

traveling christian  RV ministry      google that. Lots of clubs.  Plenty of other people/groups also doing what you describe. A really neat idea, not forgetting the first love.

Yes, acquaintances  are full time involved  with a youth camp ministry,  but it is at Arkansas. Yet  if  we are led then we go. And out of the blue  bride asked about RV rentals last night. That one surprised me. I went down that road once, had a way too large RV, used it some, had fun, but the storing of it, wow  got way too complicated. Those things are like boats when it comes to maintaining them as they sit.

Really do need to face down the fear of resting-relaxing. Don't think retirement per se is in the plan for me. But hey, who knows but our creator.

Today is day two of after life -LOL. Today I will attend our local worship service with some special interest regarding the local body. Our pastor is in week three of an update on  the Church that Jesus established. A summary of his 36 year fight to make and keep the local body modeled after the first churches rather than a modern day business model. I have heard it  all before as he has been here 36 years, and reviews it every five years or so with the entire congregation.- Elders of equal standing, no pastor CEO, and so on. Anyway we are into Matthew 16:18 primarily, as text. It is new stuff to my Texas child bride, and many newer members of the local body I suppose. So bride and I spent time yesterday reviewing the first two week's presentation. Some beginning  to vacation hey? It will be a few days wrapping up some home projects and then off to the mountains.

Kind of hard blending any calling to service, retirement, and mountain retreats. May not be compatible- unless I go back into the hospitality  industry with a B and B this time. Nah, too old I think for that. But there hopefully is something for at least one of us, my bride or myself. We will be praying upon it, but if not led  "I'll be back" as Arnold says in the movies.- Back at my post rested and hopefully  enthused and energized for the battle. Ha I'm already thinking about being back, how pathetic is that? Got to swing into new adventure with  new bride mode! Make it a long  late honeymoon.

Anyway that is my personal  summer story to come in 1000 words or less.  I write it down  is a marker or commitment I guess. Makes it more real.

Anyone else have summer plans?

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  7

On 5/24/2017 at 7:36 AM, Neighbor said:

Just a personal note:

An interesting time ahead. Looking forward to updates. 

On 5/24/2017 at 8:58 AM, Yowm said:

By the third week of retirement my wife sent me to stay in the dog house lol.

She said after many years of marriage she never really knew me until retirement. Enjoy :)

Hi Yowm, I enjoyed reading your answer. Thanks for sharing it. Blessings.

On 5/24/2017 at 10:48 AM, wingnut- said:

Congratulations! :)

It's been so long since I took an actual vacation I can't even remember.  Back when I could afford to do so I enjoyed camping and enjoying the outdoors.  Most of the time I went to familiar or favorite locations, but once a year I would always try a new place.  I do think it is not only a good thing to relax, but a necessary thing.

God bless

Hey Wingnut 

I enjoyed your answer. I often think that life can get so busy that we no longer get good rest.

I enjoyed the idea of going somewhere new each year.

On 5/24/2017 at 11:27 AM, PlanetChee said:

. :) God keep you as you travel. 

Hey PlanetChee, It is fun looking at photos of places people have been too. 

Seeing your quote about safe travels made me think of how we pray before a long trip. Blessings.

On 5/24/2017 at 0:44 PM, Neighbor said:

My Texas bride is the one pushing for me to relax some. She wants me retired. I just don't know, can I stand it? Anyway this summer away from the heat- I do look forward to that, going fishing on  some USA lakes and rivers looking for cheap summer living at Tn, WV NC and Ga.

And we will visit the homeland  NH, and also CA for a coastline run to see family. Should be able to keep busy enough, maybe too busy. I also want to explore if there is a service, a mission, out there that we might fill. We have the itchy foot syndrome that a ministry might  be awaiting us somewhere.

It will be interesting to see how everything works out in the end. Blessings.