MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I checked this out; it's true.  Congress is close to passing a law making it legal to kill hibernating bears?  I am just so against that and I intend to make my voice heard.  What do y'all think of this?

http://www.countryliving.com/life/news/a42581/legal-to-kill-hibernating-bears/

3 hours ago, Davida said:

I don't understand why this is thought to be cruel?  I'm sure they only will allow so many licenses for this as that is how it is done.  I guess it depends to me if there are too many of them. Predator control is necessary, I would rather they cull them then have people get mauled by grizzlies or Alaskan brown bears.  What is so cruel with hunting them during "denning"? that seems safer way for humans and ensures a quicker kill .  The only thing I am against is those leg hold traps.  Luring with bait just make it that the hunter gets off a better kill shot which is better then missing and having to track it.

I'm not sure how killing mothers and cubs in the den is necessary.  I think it's partly aimed at allowing hunters who depend on the animals for food to cull the populations, and God put them here for that purpose,  but I've never trusted man to balance an ecosystem.   l'm a city girl and I guess I just don['t understand this stuff.

7 minutes ago, Davida said:

I figure , animals have always been hunted for food.  If the female bear is killed in the fall the cub won't survive alone ,  it would be killed by wolves. coyotes or other bears. It is those leg traps that are cruel. Besides can't they kill it before it has it's cubs?  If we have raccoon, squirrel or chipmunk problem you want to get them before they have a litter.

I believe the leg traps were outlawed; at least in Texas, don't know about Alaska.  Yeah, it would be better to not leave cubs alone because they wouldn't make it.  It somehow seems wrong to kill sleeping animals but I guess they really never know what hit them.  I still don't trust humans to keep from overhunting populations of animals though.  Like Europeans did with the buffalo.  Our states have done a good job keeping the deer populations steady by limiting hunting and in Texas and Louisiana they do the same with alligators.  Heaven help you if you're caught with an untagged animal.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

7 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

I checked this out; it's true.  Congress is close to passing a law making it legal to kill hibernating bears?  I am just so against that and I intend to make my voice heard.  What do y'all think of this?

Bears are a real problem for residents in alaska. They often get mauled by bears. I know someone who was attacked by a grizzly when she was merely going out to start up the generator. its a frontier up there. There are more bears than residents. If you have a bear that is a problem, then the only thing you can do is kill it. If you end up finding a hibernating bear 100 feet from your homestead, you do what you gotta do to survive. I dont have a problem with this law, and Im not someone who likes hunting.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

A lot of people carry bear spray in Alaska.

4 hours ago, Davida said:

Don't be fooled the Natives over hunted the buffalo too. They'd run the whole herds off a cliff, talk about cruel the bison would break their legs in the fall and be rendered immobile.  If they could and only process so much some would spoil - how could they use all of it in time?  People are people we are all equally guilty of cruelty and waste and all sins.

Well I do agree that we are all guilty of all those sins but I hope people would start to get away from all that.  Then I think...I've never lived up there so I don't know how bad it is; I just hate the whole idea. 

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

I lived up there. You cannot go outside the city limits without carrying a weapon to protect yourself against bears. Where I worked in the tongass national forest in southeast alaska, 2 of us carried rifles, .375 magnum, and there were only a few of us working. You had to. Bear spray is kinda useless up there. 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

I think the headline is slightly mis-leading as to what exactly is going on.

As I understand the article, the proposal rescinds a recent federal restriction put in place in August of 2016. What will happen then is things will go back to the way they were previously.

States - particularly frontier states like Alaska - are much better equipped and more knowledgeable about their own wildlife situations than bureaucrats in DC.

As a smaller government, states' rights 'small L' libertarian, I completely concur with it.

Blessings,

-Ed

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

and occasionally within the city limits from what I've been told by friends.

The State of Alaska has rules of hunting that keep sports hunters from hunting that way anyway.   If I understand it right only people who hunt for food for there families can hunt this way, or declared hunts to lower the population of animals to protect the other animals when thier population needs a break.

This is more of a States Right thing than actual hunting laws.

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

19 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

Not cool at all.