• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

24 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

I understand Shiloh.

It just doesn't seem right to hunt a hibernating animal.

Then you should not do it. 

Guest shiloh357
23 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

I understand Shiloh.

It just doesn't seem right to hunt a hibernating animal.

I don't like it either.   I just don't think it is safer, especially when we are talking about bear.  It could take several shots to kill a bear and he will like be on top of the one shooting before he can kill the bear.

But it is very unsportsmanlike to kill a sleeping animal.

Bears will leave us along if we leave them alone.   When I am alone in the woods, and our woods are bear country, I whistle and maybe clap my hands and make noise so that bears will know I am coming.  Never want to walk up and surprise a bear.    I also carry bear deterrent spray. I is much more powerful than law enforcement pepper spray and is non lethal.  Hope I never have to use it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

12 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Then you should not do it. 

I couldn't kill an animal RG.

I feel sorry for ants when I have to kill them:)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.27
  • Days Won:  3

10 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

I don't like it either.   I just don't think it is safer, especially when we are talking about bear.  It could take several shots to kill a bear and he will like be on top of the one shooting before he can kill the bear.

Bears will leave us along if we leave them alone.   When I am alone in the woods, and our woods are bear country, I whistle and maybe clap my hands and make noise so that bears will know I am coming.  Never want to walk up and surprise a bear.    I also carry bear deterrent spray. I is much more powerful than law enforcement pepper spray and is non lethal.  Hope I never have to use it.

Just the thought of being in the same vicinity as a bear freaks me out but 100% agree that it is unsportsmanlike to kill a sleeping bear or any sleeping animal for that matter and I don't agree with hunting animals for sport anyhow.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

20 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Just the thought of being in the same vicinity as a bear freaks me out but 100% agree that it is unsportsmanlike to kill a sleeping bear or any sleeping animal for that matter and I don't agree with hunting animals for sport anyhow.

This is not being done by sport hunters.  It is part of the population control and is only allowed by those who use the bear for sustenance. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

7 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

You have black bears, not grizzlies. They behave more predictably than the brown bear/grizzly bear does.

I know a woman in alaska who was mauled by a brown bear when she went to the generator to her house. So if you leave them alone you have no guarantee they will leave you alone. 

For alaskans, it is not a matter of living peacably in the wilderness with bears or being sportsmanlike. Its a matter of survival.

Guest shiloh357
2 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

You have black bears, not grizzlies. They behave more predictably than the brown bear/grizzly bear does.

I know a woman in alaska who was mauled by a brown bear when she went to the generator to her house. So if you leave them alone you have no guarantee they will leave you alone. 

For alaskans, it is not a matter of living peacably in the wilderness with bears or being sportsmanlike. Its a matter of survival.

Well, if you leave them alone, you are far less likely to get mauled by one.  Yes, it is not a guarantee, but it doesn't hurt to do what you can to stack the odds in your favor.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

From what they told us in Glacier National Park, most of the bear attacks happen when people stumble onto the bears and the bears don't know you are coming.   They requested that if we were going to hike, or especially run on any of the trails that we wear bells so the bears can hear us coming and not be surprised.   They can also get you when they smell your food and you get in thier way of taking it from you.