IGNORED

We Are Told Not To Question Someone's Faith But...

LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

3 minutes ago, Judas Machabeus said:

So you are okay with those around you judging your faith based on one incident or one encounter. And not based on your actual faith. 

Thats your perogative,

I disagree and here's why, I'm going back to Ladys example of making a cashier at Walmart cry because it's a great example. 

Lets say you are doing something for a charity and you are running late and it's crucial that you be on time. But you have to stop at Walmart because you need this widget for the meeting for the Charity. 

As you pull into the parking lot someone hits your car as they're pulling out and not you are for sure late, have to deal with an accident and you still need that widget. 

You finally get into Walmart and the line up is long and moving slowly because there cashier is being over chatty with each customer. 

You loose you temper and snap at the cashier. 

Now Im standing in line behind you and just say the fruit your faith has bore. So I judge you as not being a Christian. 

So my question to you is, Are you a Christian at that moment. Are you no longer a Christian because I judged you as not being one. 

It is scary when I see people using that line about baring fruit. Because people use it to justify their own judgement over someone else. 

Based on that scenario I laid out, me personally I would think one of two things... that guy is being a jerk or that guy is having a bad day. 

Those here say you judge by the fruit they bare, you would have been judged as a non-Christian.  

:thumbsup:

Guest Judas Machabeus

Completely unrelated and sorry for the slight derailment. But I had to share my chuckle. I was looking at the thread title

We Are Told Not To Question Someone's Faith But...

when you see the word "but" OR a person says something and than says BUT

that "but" means ignore everything I just said and here's how I really feel. 

Lol sorry. 

I know now that's not absolute and does really apply here but that little bitty popped in my head. I'm not implying this applies to the OP'er. 

15 hours ago, LadyKay said:

I hear all the time that I am not to question someone's faith or rather or not they are a Christian if they claim to be one.  But shouldn't someone's actions and words reflect  that faith?   I have a hard time believing anyone or I not questioning anyone  who simply says "I am a Christian" and yet they are anything but Christ like.  I know that we all grow in our faith. And someone who is a real follower of Christ should want to grow in their faith and become more Christ like. So am I just suppose to believe every person who says they are a Christian? Or would it be wrong of me to look for other signs that they are indeed truly a follower of Christ? :confused:

Hello kay,

I think where the confusion in this matter comes from is that we have to take all of scripture into consideration.  Yes the bible teaches us that we are known by our fruits, but what example did Jesus give us in regards to casting stones at someone who was clearly sinning?  Both truths apply.  The issue we face today is that the world has gotten a lot smaller.  In the past, churches were communities, families so to speak.  They didn't just see each other once a week, or in random passings at a supermarket or in a traffic jam.

Who amongst us hasn't lost their "cool" multiple times in life?  We are all sinners, no one is perfect, and we all continue to battle the flesh while we make our way through this life.  One encounter with an individual doesn't really tell the whole story does it?  Considering this it should make it clear that we are in no position to cast judgement on another's salvational status.  Only God knows the heart of a person, scripture is not vague about that truth either.

God bless

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  1

44 minutes ago, Rick_Parker said:

As OneLight pointed, scripture tells us that "We will know them by their fruit." I believe that we are to question the faith of someone who claims to be a brother or sister in Christ, but, we are to do it within ourselves, to ourselves. Then we can choose whether to interact with them as a fellow believer or as a non-believer.

Questioning someone's faith is not the same as questioning their doctrine. If they are teaching any other doctrine than Jesus Christ and Him Crucified, then I believe that we are to call them out publically.

If we are to question someone's faith I don't think it would be against the rules here to do that to one another. Or to those who are our leaders or public figures. 

James 4:11-12 Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

Ephesians 4:14-16 Living Letters The Paraphrased Epistles

Then we will no longer be like children, forever changing our minds about

what we believe because someone has told us something different,

or has cleverly lied to us and made the lie sound like the truth.
Instead we will lovingly follow the truth at all times

---- 
speaking truly, dealing truly, living truly 
-----
and so become more and more in every way like Christ Who is the Head of His Body,  ekklesia. 

Under His Direction the WHole Body is fitted together perfectly, and 

each part in its own special way helps the other parts, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love….
================================ Ephesians 4 17- 

Let me say this, then, speaking for the Master:  live no longer as the unsaved do, for they are blinded and confused.

Their closed hearts are full of darkness; they are far away from the life of YHWH because they have shut their minds against Him, and they cannot understand His Ways.  

They don't care anymore about right and wrong and have given themselves over to impure ways.  

They stop at nothing their evil minds can think of.

But that isn't the way Christ taught you !

If you have really heard His Voice and Learned From Him the Truths Concerning Himself

Then throw off your old evil nature -

-- the old you that was a apart in your evil ways--

-- rotten through and through, full of lust and shame.

================Now your attitudes and thoughts must all change; 

================Yes, you must be a new and different person, holy and good.  

Clothe yourself with this new nature.

================Stop lying to each other;  tell the truth, for we are parts of each other and when we lie to each other we are hurting ourselves.

If you are angry, don't sin by nursing your grudge.  Don't let the sun go down with you still angry --- get over it quickly;  

For when you are angry you give a mighty foot-hold to the devil.

If anyone is stealing he must stop it and begin using those hands of his for honest work so he can give to others in need.

Don't use bad language.  Say only what is good and helpful to those you are talking to , and what will give them a blessing.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  1

Do You Ever Question Your (or Someone Else's) Salvation?

• Cindi McMenamin Author

How do we know if someone is really a Christian? We don't. We have only their lives to hold up to the life of the One (Jesus) whom they claim to follow. So, be a follower of his through a life of obedience and love. And that way you - and others - will not question whether you and I are really Christ-followers, too.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

I guess what I am thinking here is more like a close friend or family member. Not so much a person you see at church each Sunday that you don't really know.  But I would think that you would wonder about a close friend or family member's salvation if they were on an on going basses living a life that did not reflect Christ. But not only that, but when you would say anything to them about it they would blow you off by saying something like "Well I'm a Christian. I go to church." Something like that is what I am getting at. I don't know it is hard for me to clearly say what is on my mind. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  2,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

A Born Again believer, who is now a Christian has a light that must not be hidden or as the verse said below must shine .   

Luke 11King James Version (KJV)

33 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light.

34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.

35 Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness.

36 If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.

8 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

I guess what I am thinking here is more like a close friend or family member. Not so much a person you see at church each Sunday that you don't really know.  But I would think that you would wonder about a close friend or family member's salvation if they were on an on going basses living a life that did not reflect Christ. But not only that, but when you would say anything to them about it they would blow you off by saying something like "Well I'm a Christian. I go to church." Something like that is what I am getting at. I don't know it is hard for me to clearly say what is on my mind. 

I think I understand where you are coming from, so I can actually address that situation on a personal basis.  My parents raised me and my two older siblings in church.  All three of us were saved at a young age, all of us have been baptized, although unlike my siblings I was not baptized until I was a man.  My brother and I remain devoted to Jesus and the message of the bible.  My sister however now preaches another gospel, according to her everyone is going to heaven no matter what religion they follow.  She will tell you all about spirituality and how each person empowers themselves to salvation.  My brother and I raised our children in the same manner we were raised, my sister and her husband never took my nephews to church or step inside one themselves.

Of course I love my sister, but I pray for her daily, because I know what it means to depart from the truth, and I know that if she continues on that path she is in for a rude awakening.  I do object to what she is trying to sell, but I still don't pass judgement on her.  All I can say is if you fear for someone pray, pray, and pray.  Only God can change the heart and convince someone of the truth.

God bless

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

4 hours ago, LadyKay said:

But people like the KKK and other white supremacy groups say they are Christians. Should I just accept that they are? 

Would you not agree that is an extreme example?  It would be like citing the members of Westboro Baptist Church (they protest funerals in a very nasty way.)

They certainly may know Scripture - but even Satan and his demons know Scripture.

Do not forget that Satan is the Great Deceiver.

Blessings,

-Ed