IGNORED

We Are Told Not To Question Someone's Faith But...

LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

I hear all the time that I am not to question someone's faith or rather or not they are a Christian if they claim to be one.  But shouldn't someone's actions and words reflect  that faith?   I have a hard time believing anyone or I not questioning anyone  who simply says "I am a Christian" and yet they are anything but Christ like.  I know that we all grow in our faith. And someone who is a real follower of Christ should want to grow in their faith and become more Christ like. So am I just suppose to believe every person who says they are a Christian? Or would it be wrong of me to look for other signs that they are indeed truly a follower of Christ? :confused:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

What does it matter if they claim a title or not?  We are told that we will know them by their fruit, not their words.  At the same time, as you point out, a new Christian may be on very shaky ground with most of their life still in the world, yet they just accepted Christ.  I would not focus on if someone is living up to our expectation of what a Christian should be like, basically because I would have to call myself a false Christian at times also.  Listen to what the Holy Spirit shows you about another, but remember, He is showing just you.  Some of what we learn is designed just for us.

When someone comes right out, calling themselves a Christian, but then tries to teach that we are not to worship God or Jesus, those I do questions.  Keep in mind that we are in the last days and there will be a falling away. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

10 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

I hear all the time that I am not to question someone's faith or rather or not they are a Christian if they claim to be one.  But shouldn't someone's actions and words reflect  that faith?   I have a hard time believing anyone or I not questioning anyone  who simply says "I am a Christian" and yet they are anything but Christ like.  I know that we all grow in our faith. And someone who is a real follower of Christ should want to grow in their faith and become more Christ like. So am I just suppose to believe every person who says they are a Christian? Or would it be wrong of me to look for other signs that they are indeed truly a follower of Christ? :confused:

I think it's all a careful social dance.  Some new believers are looking to see how others in the church behave as examples.  They may learn well from example, find a mentor, and develop as a Christian by watching and listening.  Some groups of Christians don't make great examples, though.  Many attend church, greet everyone, and then leave and forget church and their beliefs until the next week.  Those examples may teach new believers there's not really much to their beliefs and thus no reason to take it all seriously.  

This is why I think it's critical to find a church with some kind of fellowship that includes accountability, people that get to know you well socially and as Christians.  By knowing you well, they can be the ones you turn to when you have serious questions or concerns.  These are also the ones that would ideally feel comfortable asking you questions about your lifestyle, beliefs, and the 'fruit' of your actions.  It's not easy or quick to develop a fellowship like this, but it can be immensely helpful and effectively be an external family when times are hard.  Looking from the outside, these are the people that can see things happening in your life and note patterns and directions you may not notice yourself.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  711
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

2 hours ago, LadyKay said:

Though we all make decisions "privately" about what we see and hear - what good does it do to inform others of any negative opinion you might have about this person or that person? Specifically on a board like this where it is doctrines and beliefs that are discussed with the goal of sharing information and learning from the experience?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

If someone is posting false doctrine we are suppose to question that. We are suppose to correct that with the truth.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,371
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

Definition as to who or what is a Christian ?.   Also the term "Born again Christian is labeled".  

So, a born again believer has the title "Christian" , as he has come to repent of his sins and accept Jesus Christ as his Lord and savior.    Something took place when he made that decision as the Bible says, he is now a new creation, the old things are gone away.  

2 Corinthians 5  King James Version (KJV)

17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Now, we are to examine ourselves and listen to  this verse that gets me all the time.

Matthew 7   Living Bible (TLB)

And why worry about a speck in the eye of a brother when you have a board in your own? Should you say, ‘Friend, let me help you get that speck out of your eye,’ when you can’t even see because of the board in your own? Hypocrite! First get rid of the board. Then you can see to help your brother.

If every man truly examines himself, he can see moments when he fell short or strayed of the path in some way.  His faith was still there, but the modern term of backsliding can be applied.   There is also temptation or trials that he may be going through, that may obscure your vision and that he is not sharing and those can be tremendous and wear the saints.  The devil does send fiery darts to unsettle the Christian who may be living the good life and which the Lord [ may ] graciously allow.

Edited by warrior12

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

27 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

If someone is posting false doctrine we are suppose to question that. We are suppose to correct that with the truth.

That presumes "we" have truth, always.

I find that I don't. Not always, in fact I am amazed how often I still learn, each day,  of what I did not fully or even partially understand just yesterday.  Praise God for His patience with me, and for  his continuing to sanctify me.

25 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

That presumes "we" have truth, always.

I find that I don't. Not always, in fact I am amazed how often I still learn, each day,  of what I did not fully or even partially understand just yesterday.  Praise God for His patience with me, and for  his continuing to sanctify me.

The Holy Bible is truth. The literal truth.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,777
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

39 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

The Holy Bible is truth. The literal truth.

Those are conclusive statements. 

And are two statements in this paragraph. 

Not everything in the Bible, is to be believed literally. 

Some portion are not truth, and some portions  were truth. 

And why Holy. 

1 minute ago, Your closest friendnt said:

Those are conclusive statements. 

And are two statements in this paragraph. 

Not everything in the Bible, is to be believed literally. 

Some portion are not truth, and some portions  were truth. 

And why Holy. 

Everything in the Bible is the truth.