IGNORED

Arkansas woman to be banned from Walmart for racist remarks - what?

MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

Okay, the woman who did this is a total knuckle dragging, redneck, low class pile of nothing but.....banning people for hateful speech?  I could understand if the other woman punched her in the mouth (although I wouldn't condone that) and I agree with telling her to leave the store.  But banning her from ALL Walmart stores for her stupid remarks?  And yes I know it's private property.  Once freedom of speech is gone it's not coming back folks.  Opinions?  (And yes, they DID spell 'Arkansas' wrong!)

http://www.4029tv.com/article/walmart-plans-to-ban-woman-in-racist-viral-video/9925062

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

Freedom of speech only applies to the government, WalMart or anyone else cannot take it away. 

Guest Teditis

Walmart is still "private" property... at least to a certain degree and as such has the right to ban people for disturbing the peace.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

It's easy to 'look down one's nose' at Wal-Mart and the people who shop there (my son won't shop there for 'social justice' reasons), but in this case if and when they ban the person they will be doing the proper thing.

You cannot help but think that this story will be gist for the late night and 'Saturday Night Live' types, though.

Blessings,

-Ed

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

As others have said, Walmart has the right to deny anyone in their stores.  However they are showing their lack of respect for a person's freedom of speech, which they can do as a private business, but people who respect freedom of speech can just as easily refuse to shop there.  The pendulum swings both ways.  The people have always had the power, we have just forgotten how to swing the hammer.

God bless

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  1

One nation under surveillance. 

A spokesperson with Walmart told 40/29 News the woman in the video has not been banned yet, but they plan to ban her once she is positively identified.

She was in the over the counter medicine aisle. I can't judge her as a person being she could have been in incredible pain and wasn't thinking straight. But that this woman thought to take out her cell phone and capture the incident says a lot about what we're becoming as a society. Our brothers peeper. 

I don't think Walmart can enforce this ban on a national level, being the report claims every store will be off limits if they identify this woman. But I think with a good lawyer should she be found she may have a chance at defending herself. Plus, we don't know her side of what happened to cause her reaction. We have one side that started filming once the reaction started. Obscuring her , if any, responsibility for this incident. 

2 hours ago, wingnut- said:

As others have said, Walmart has the right to deny anyone in their stores.  However they are showing their lack of respect for a person's freedom of speech, which they can do as a private business, but people who respect freedom of speech can just as easily refuse to shop there.  The pendulum swings both ways.  The people have always had the power, we have just forgotten how to swing the hammer.

God bless

WalMart plays no role in the freedom of speech, their only concern is to provide a safe and hassle free environment for their customers and employees.  Would banning the woman for life from all stores be an overreaction?  Of course, but WalMart is famous for over reactions to this sort of thing.  In my two years with them I saw from the management side 4 maybe 6 times they way over reacted to an incident. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

God loves her. She needs prayer.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

4 hours ago, Teditis said:

Walmart is still "private" property... at least to a certain degree and as such has the right to ban people for disturbing the peace.

I know, I noted that in the OP.  But I see this as more chipping away of the 1st Amemdment by the PC loons.  Yes, it's not the government but....really? 

1 minute ago, MorningGlory said:

I know, I noted that in the OP.  But I see this as more chipping away of the 1st Amemdment by the PC loons.  Yes, it's not the government but....really? 

The 1st Amendment only applies to the government, there is no freedom of speech from anyone else.  WalMarts only responsibility is to the safety of its customers and employees.