IGNORED

Arkansas woman to be banned from Walmart for racist remarks - what?

MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

5 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

:o  If the Beatles are an example of musical taste I guess I am just clueless.  That music is so old it has whiskers!  But one of the networks DID just announce the launch of a Beatles' channel. 

It is old, and it is still being played and appreciated today, that says something about its quality.   I can assure you in 30 years nobody will be playing NSYNC or Britney Spears, to whom the Beatles have been compared to in this thread

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

8 hours ago, Steve_S said:

Yes, with anthems like "i want to hold your hand" and profound lyrics such as "she loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah," I don't see how anyone managed to even stay fully conscious in the mere presence of their unmitigated awesomeness!

:24:

I'll have to agree that I've never seen much value in the Beatles music. I'm not a hater either. I just don't find their style all that interesting and so it gets ignored. Same with a few other kinds of music. :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

9 hours ago, Steve_S said:

Yes, with anthems like "i want to hold your hand" and profound lyrics such as "she loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah," I don't see how anyone managed to even stay fully conscious in the mere presence of their unmitigated awesomeness!

That was some of their first stuff that was released here in the US in '64.  I agree with your somewhat 'tongue in cheek' remarks that the lyrics or the music was not that profound.  You have to remember that at the time it was their appearance (long hair, edwardian suits) that was 'the thing' (even though very tame by later standards)

Personally, I think their best album was one that hasn't gotten as much notice historically - "Rubber Soul".  It came out in '65, I think. The song "In My Life" is one of my favorite Beatles songs.  It has a rift in it (a harpsichord, I think) that was very beautiful and unusual for a rock song at the time.  The song "Michelle" is very poetic.  There are several other songs on the album that - to me - represent their high water mark.

Later they got into Eastern mysticism and drugs, and while they had some good songs on later albums I'll agree much of it was probably over-rated.  And if someone could explain "Revolution Number 9" to me (from the White Album), I'd appreciate it.

Blessings,

-Ed

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

19 hours ago, Steve_S said:

I believe this is according to what state you live in. There is no federal law that i know of that deals with refusal of service based on lifestyle.

I am not aware of any either, but the judicial branch has shown that they consider this as discrimination, so I think over time we will see more cases like this taken to the courts.

14 hours ago, Running Gator said:

What does any of that have to do with the fact that the Bill of Rights puts limits on the government to infringe upon rights that are ours by virtue of being human being?  None of that changes the fact you are wrong when you say the Bill of Rights gives us the right to free speech or any other right listed in them.  

It's called the Bill of Rights, how is not about rights?  :noidea:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

2 hours ago, Running Gator said:

It is old, and it is still being played and appreciated today, that says something about its quality.   I can assure you in 30 years nobody will be playing NSYNC or Britney Spears, to whom the Beatles have been compared to in this thread

Well neither Nsync nor Britney Spears has ever besmirched my CD player!  Not my kind of music.

17 minutes ago, wingnut- said:

Why do you keep asking the same inane question over and over?

It is about rights, it is about rights that are yous by virtue of being a human being.  They are not given to you by the Bill of Rights.   The Bill of Rights limits the power of the government to infringe upon those rights.  

I really think this has now moved past an actual discussion and you are just trying to see how many times you  can get me to answer the same question.   i am sure you are getting a nice little chuckle out of it

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

24 minutes ago, wingnut- said:

That would be too logical, wingnut. 

6 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Why do you keep asking the same inane question over and over?

It is about rights, it is about rights that are yous by virtue of being a human being.  They are not given to you by the Bill of Rights.   The Bill of Rights limits the power of the government to infringe upon those rights.  

I really think this has now moved past an actual discussion and you are just trying to see how many times you  can get me to answer the same question.   i am sure you are getting a nice little chuckle out of it

No, I'm truly baffled to be honest.  But we can agree to disagree. :)

God bless

Just now, wingnut- said:

No, I'm truly baffled to be honest.  But we can agree to disagree. :)

God bless

I am not sure how much more clear I could make it.  I guess I could get out crayons and draw you picture but I doubt that would help either

Or you could read the 1st amendment and tell me if it states that those rights are granted to us by the government or if it says the government is not allowed to infringe upon them.