IGNORED

Why isn't foot washing at church ordinance?

Willa

Guest BacKaran

As my hubby's Aunt lay dying in the hospital, all I could think of to do was massage her feet, cut her toenails and fingernails, that's what came to my mind until she passed a little while later. So thankful I had that time with her.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

What a blessing to both of you to have had this time together.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

I have practiced footwashing and have been to churches that practice it.  One thing to think about is culturally, they wore sandals and walked miles in the dirt. While fit has as major symbolic meaning today, washing feet had a widely different meaning than it does today, it represents the lowest form of serving, something only slaves would do for their masters and Jesus modeled it. In that act, Jesus reveals that we are called to serve each other with the greatest humility and love for one another.  When the disciples were focused on who was the greatest, Jesus, being the greatest humbled himself and performed an act that was considered the least.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

I think its a simple as people are sensitive about feet. There were people in Charismatic movement when told by LORD to take off their sandals as Moses was told to (Exodus 3:5) but feared what people would think. People are more open to laying on of hands (on shoulders and back), but the feet is controversial because of stink, fungus, and perhaps podophilia (foot fetishes). But more than this I think its vulnerability, when you take off your shoes you aren't ready for war, you aren't able to dress them up with pomp, and shield them from the elements.  

In the end I think its fear of man, and concern about what people will think. Our hands are well manicured or taken care of, but our feet often are neglected in comparison, and bear the marks of wear and tear because they carry a heavier load.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

The apostles called themselves bond slaves of the Lord.  They had been freed from the bondage to sin and satan and have given themselves to be slaves of righteousness and to Jesus Christ.  But they also were willing slaves of the Church, with their lives spent, poured out even to death, to love the church as Jesus does.  Perhaps few of us are willing to serve one another to that extent, or to love one another to that extent.  It has certainly caused me to search my own heart.

Blessings,

Willa

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

52 minutes ago, Willa said:

The apostles called themselves bond slaves of the Lord.  They had been freed from the bondage to sin and satan and have given themselves to be slaves of righteousness and to Jesus Christ.  But they also were willing slaves of the Church, with their lives spent, poured out even to death, to love the church as Jesus does.  Perhaps few of us are willing to serve one another to that extent, or to love one another to that extent.  It has certainly caused me to search my own heart.

Blessings,

Willa

Not only did they know the truth and call themselves slaves of Jesus for the Gospel's Sake,

YHWH called them that,

YHWH also called all the ekklesia that - every disciple.   

That is one sure and perfect sign

of how far so-called churches have fallen from the truth , 

for many many centuries.

There are few if any examples of ekklesia for you to go outside in your area / neighborhood to see.

Seek, and keep seeking,  is YHWH'S PROMISE (not man's promise; but YHWH'S OWN PROMISE)

and you will find.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Willa

Yes,the church I went to for many years do have "foot washing" services  every so often.....No,it is not an ordinance  & No,it's not something I participate in

But I'll tell you something that I noticed in regards to this very thing,I used to be out a lot ,spreading the Gospel amongst the homeless,the rejected & many have not bathed in a very long time,many have a very foul odor,many have open sores on their bodies & various other things that offend most people.....I've taken some of these very same "foot washers" with me to the streets and they would not get near one of these poor people......a hug or a hand held does Amazing Miraculous things by the Power of Holy Spirit in Christ Love  

I don't see how "foot washing" does very much when you are washing a friends feet & they yours........I think Jesus example was what Shiloh said......There IS none GREATER than Jesus & yet He reduced Himself to servitude because He Loves us.....Anyway,that my 2 cents              With love-in Christ,Kwik