IGNORED

Why isn't foot washing at church ordinance?

Willa

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Joh 13:12  When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, "Do you understand what I have done to you?

Joh 13:13  You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am.

Joh 13:14  If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.

Joh 13:15  For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you.

Foot washing seems to have been ordained in the same way as baptism and the Lord's supper.  They were set as examples for us to follow.  This  also is also a symbol that represent our hearts of love and service to each other.  It was to be done by leadership first it would seem, but also we are to wash one another's feet.  I have seen this done in a small Bible study group once in my lifetime.  

Many people are repulsed by the idea but I would think that is the purpose of it.  We are to humble ourselves before each other and have the love to care about each other's comfort to this extent.  A warm basin on a cold snowy day and a cool basin on a hot day when wearing sandals sounds really wonderful and relaxing, if just to soak in.  

What do you think?

If your church practices this, do you participate in it?

Guest Teditis

The church that I go to practices foot-washing. They have a service which is sometimes referred to

as Maundy Thursday. It's suppose to mirror the night of the Last Supper and the whole church participates

in it. There's a service with a sermon, readings from the Gospels and foot-washing and then a meal of Lamb

to which they also include communion.

I love going to it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Praise God!  That sounds like a wonderful blessing.

Guest shiloh357

Why isn't foot washing at church ordinance?

Because Jesus didn't establish it as an ordinance.   He established only two ordinances:  Baptism and Communion.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What does the Bible say about foot-washing?"

Answer:
In Bible times, the dusty and dirty conditions of the region and the wearing of sandals necessitated foot-washing. Although the disciples most likely would have been happy to wash Jesus' feet, they could not conceive of washing each other's feet. This was because in the society of the time, foot-washing was reserved for the lowliest of menial servants. Peers did not wash one another's feet, except very rarely and as a mark of great love. Luke points out (22:24) that the disciples were arguing about who was the greatest among them, an attitude that precludes a willingness to stoop to wash feet. When Jesus moved to wash their feet (see also John 13:1-16), they were shocked. His actions serve also as symbolic of spiritual cleansing (vs. 6-9) and a model of Christian humility (vs. 12-17). By washing His disciples’ feet, Jesus taught the lesson of selfless service that was supremely exemplified by His death on the cross.

The foot-washing was an example, a pattern. Many groups throughout church history have practiced literal foot-washing as a church ordinance. However, present culture in many lands does not call for washing dust from the feet of one's guests. Although the Lord's Supper was practiced, the early church apparently did not practice foot-washing as an ordinance in church gatherings.

This passage emphasizes inner humility, not a physical rite. A Christian widow's practice of "washing the feet of the saints" (1 Timothy 5:10) speaks not of her involvement in a church ordinance but of her humble, slave-like service to other believers. To refuse to follow the example of Jesus is to exalt oneself above Him and to live in pride. “No servant is greater than his master” (John 13:16).

https://www.gotquestions.org/foot-washing.html

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

It is something that should be done howevermost churchs do not follow this

Guest Teditis
29 minutes ago, Yowm said:

We would end up being robotic servants rather than out of serving in love.

He said we 'ought'to, He did not say  'do this' (Lord's Supper) or  'Teach and baptise' (both commands).

So (seriously).. do you only do the things the God says "Do this.." to and never the things He says we "Ought to do.."?

Where's the Love of God for God in this type of mindset? Where's the Reverence for a loving Just God in doing only the

thing He commands us to do? Where's the mimicking of the behavior of Jesus?

Guest Teditis
42 minutes ago, Yowm said:

That was my point. I don't do only the things he commands. But foot washing/serving is something we ought to do out of a servants heart before we are  asked.

Well it's obvious that the need for foot-washing isn't as necessary today as in was in the days of walking dirt roads

while wearing sandals. But if a church wants to use foot-washing as an object lesson to teach the Humility of Christ,

who are you to call them robots? Everyone that I see doing it during service was doing it for their own reasons, of course,

but none of them were required to do it and most if not all enjoyed it as part of the service... they "got something" from the

act of actually doing it.

How can you miss that?

Guest Teditis
1 hour ago, Yowm said:

We would end up being robotic servants rather than out of serving in love.

He said we 'ought'to, He did not say  'do this' (Lord's Supper) or  'Teach and baptise' (both commands).

Actually Yowm, He said "Do this in remembrance of me." (no options given.)

And if you don't want to participate in foot-washing, don't. My problem is you calling all those that do, robots.

Very judgmental.

Guest Teditis
8 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I was explaining why it wasn't an ordinance/Sacrament. Besides there was no promise attached to it like baptism and the Lord's Supper.

So you're saying that anytime someone does something that 's not an ordinance is a robot?

Why do you always find fault with Christian's instead of seeing the good and the positive aspects

of worshiping God in different ways?