• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

Boehner: Trump's presidency so far is mostly 'a complete disaster'

Former House speaker John Boehner dismissed GOP efforts to craft a tax reform bill as “happy talk” and offered a scathing assessment of President Trump’s first 100 days in office while speaking at a conference this week.

The Ohio Republican said Trump has handled national security and foreign policy issues well, but added: “Everything else he’s done (in office) has been a complete disaster,” according to Rigzone, a website that covers the oil and gas industry.

“He’s still learning how to be president,” Boehner said in remarks Wednesday at a global energy conference hosted by KPMG, a major accounting firm.

Boehner told the audience that Trump did the best he could in pushing to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. But he suggested the president’s approach was wrong-headed. Trump should have worked to “repair” the law, not scrap it, Boehner asserted — something he never advocated while he was at the helm of the House.

Asked about GOP efforts to overhaul the tax code, the former House speaker said he was optimistic at the start of the year but he now doubts whether Republicans can pass such an ambitious bill.

“Tax reform is just a bunch of happy talk,” he said. The House GOP proposal to impose a border tax on imports is “deader than a doornail,” Boehner said, putting the overall odds of Republicans passing a bill at 60-40.

Boehner said he didn’t know anything about efforts by the Russian government to interfere in the 2016 election. But he said Democrats are only hurting themselves by talking about impeachment of the president.

“Talk of impeachment is the best way to rile up Trump supporters,” he said. “Remember, impeachment is not a legal process; it’s a political process.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/05/26/boehner-trumps-presidency-so-far-mostly-complete-disaster/102193702/

POSTER'S COMMENT:

I've made no secret of the fact I voted for Donald Trump in the last election, so there may be those who are surprised by my posting this article.  I do it for several reasons:

1.  John Boehner is a former GOP Speaker-of-the-House, so his musings WILL get press.  In my eyes, he was a failure and an unmitigated disaster, and a perfect example of what is wrong with politics today.

2.  It illustrates the all to common tendency of GOP'ers to 'eat their own.'  Democats NEVER, EVER do this.  I would say that Jack the Ripper - if he were a democrat - would be immune from any criticism from other democrats.  Say what you want, to their party faithful, party TRUMPS everything (pun intended).

3.  It illustrates why I'm slowly returning to the theme I've had for years - way before the election:  Elections don't matter, and the country's problems are beyond what an election (or two) can fix.

Blessings,

-Ed

Edited by SavedByGrace1981

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

19 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

Boehner: Trump's presidency so far is mostly 'a complete disaster'

Former House speaker John Boehner dismissed GOP efforts to craft a tax reform bill as “happy talk” and offered a scathing assessment of President Trump’s first 100 days in office while speaking at a conference this week.

The Ohio Republican said Trump has handled national security and foreign policy issues well, but added: “Everything else he’s done (in office) has been a complete disaster,” according to Rigzone, a website that covers the oil and gas industry.

“He’s still learning how to be president,” Boehner said in remarks Wednesday at a global energy conference hosted by KPMG, a major accounting firm.

Boehner told the audience that Trump did the best he could in pushing to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. But he suggested the president’s approach was wrong-headed. Trump should have worked to “repair” the law, not scrap it, Boehner asserted — something he never advocated while he was at the helm of the House.

Asked about GOP efforts to overhaul the tax code, the former House speaker said he was optimistic at the start of the year but he now doubts whether Republicans can pass such an ambitious bill.

“Tax reform is just a bunch of happy talk,” he said. The House GOP proposal to impose a border tax on imports is “deader than a doornail,” Boehner said, putting the overall odds of Republicans passing a bill at 60-40.

Boehner said he didn’t know anything about efforts by the Russian government to interfere in the 2016 election. But he said Democrats are only hurting themselves by talking about impeachment of the president.

“Talk of impeachment is the best way to rile up Trump supporters,” he said. “Remember, impeachment is not a legal process; it’s a political process.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/05/26/boehner-trumps-presidency-so-far-mostly-complete-disaster/102193702/

POSTER'S COMMENT:

I've made no secret of the fact I voted for Donald Trump in the last election, so there may be those who are surprised by my posting this article.  I do it for several reasons:

1.  John Boehner is a former GOP Speaker-of-the-House, so his musings WILL get press.  In my eyes, he was a failure and an unmitigated disaster, and a perfect example of what is wrong with politics today.

2.  It illustrates the all to common tendency of GOP'ers to 'eat their own.'  Democats NEVER, EVER do this.  I would say that Jack the Ripper - if he were a democrat - would be immune from any criticism from other democrats.  Say what you want, to their party faithful, party TRUMPS everything (pun intended).

3.  It illustrates why I'm slowly returning to the theme I've had for years - way before the election:  Elections don't matter, and the country's problems are beyond what an election (or two) can fix.

Blessings,

-Ed

Like I posted before. People got what they voted for. :noidea:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

and from my point of view, that's not a bad thing....

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

7 minutes ago, other one said:

and from my point of view, that's not a bad thing....

Right and another not bad thing....BOEHNER IS GONE!  Fossils will keep talking though.

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

Not necessarily.

Blessings,

-Ed

Guest shiloh357

Boehner was the disaster.   He gave Obama everything Obama wanted.  He was a spineless coward.

45 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

Boehner was the disaster.   He gave Obama everything Obama wanted.  He was a spineless coward.

In other words, Boehner is a perfect example of the GOP.  It's the party that makes noises about opposing, but in the end gives democrats everything they want - sometimes more.

And Boehner did it with such flair and emotion - tears and all.  Sit!  Stay! Roll over, good doggie!

Blessings,

-Ed

Edited by SavedByGrace1981

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

18 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Well the people who didn't vote for him are getting it too. 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

18 hours ago, missmuffet said:

And....I don't think people who voted for him  got what they voted for. Some of them are slowly waking up and realizing this. Others are a bit slower. 

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

8 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Well the people who didn't vote for him are getting it too. 

Elections have consequences, as Barack Obama once said.