• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1979

Is watching TV feeding the flesh?

I think I know the answer to this question. But I'm not always sure.

I watch a lot of TV to escape reality. I love my TV shows and movies. I spend hours upon hours watching TV. Well, actually I don't have cable but I watch a lot of Netflix and Hulu Plus, and even Amazon. But it's still television. I mean they are TV shows and movies from TV Networks.

But watching TV helps me cope with a lot of things. I forget how cruel the world can be. Except I watch cruelty on TV, but of course it's TV, so there is always a happy ending.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, worthlessness1979 said:

I watch a lot of TV to escape reality. I love my TV shows and movies. I spend hours upon hours watching TV. Well, actually I don't have cable but I watch a lot of Netflix and Hulu Plus, and even Amazon. But it's still television. I mean they are TV shows and movies from TV Networks.

But watching TV helps me cope with a lot of things. I forget how cruel the world can be. Except I watch cruelty on TV, but of course it's TV, so there is always a happy ending.

Hi.

There is nothing in the Bible which prohibits entertainment or watching TV. There was no TV when the Bible was written. Like everything else we are encouraged to do things in moderation and with sound judgment. I watch TV, I enjoy good movies, I watch the news and weather reports. I steer clear of any programs which I know Jesus would not condone.

I remind myself of Psalm 101, verse 3.

Psalm 101: 3, I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

It has been my choice to not watch television. I have not had a television for quite some time.

Question: "Should we as Christians watch television (TV)?"

Answer:
Many Christians struggle with the issue of whether or not to watch television and, if we do watch, how much TV should we watch? Television, like many other diversions we have in today’s society, has the ability to do both great good and great harm.

On the plus side for the Christian, television can be a wonderful educational tool. News and weather reports have saved countless lives, and we have access to entertainment, sports, and information that can be helpful and uplifting. From a Christian standpoint, TV has been used to share the gospel to virtually every nation on earth (Matthew 28:19), and countless lives have been changed through Christian television broadcasts.

On the negative side for the Christian, many people become addicted to television viewing or mindlessly sucked in to whatever show may be on at the moment. This takes people away from family, friends, and time in God’s Word. Many of the most popular shows today focus on the worst that mankind has to offer, and evil is glorified as good (see 2 Timothy 3:1–5 and Isaiah 5:20). Even on so-called Christian television, there are some men and women claiming to be ministers of God who are more concerned about money and prestige than saving souls (see 2 Timothy 4:3–4).

The impact of television in our lives comes in what we do with it. Christians should not let TV control them; rather, they should use TV as the communication tool it was meant to be.

A discerning Christian television viewer will ask some questions and prayerfully answer them:

– What is my motive for watching this TV show? (See 1 Corinthians 10:31.)
– Does this television show contain material that, as a Christian, I cannot hear or view with a pure mind? (See Psalm 101:3.)
– Will watching this TV show further my understanding of my culture and therefore help me communicate Christ more effectively? Or am I seeking a thrill and secretly relishing scenes of evil?
– Am I committed to obtaining truth from the Word of God rather than from powerful media forms such as television?
– Can I separate the wheat from the chaff? Can I rejoice in biblical themes a TV show might present while rejecting its ungodly elements? Or do the ungodly elements overwhelm any good contained in the show?
– Is there a better use of my time?

It’s difficult to give a hard-and-fast rule about how much television a Christians should watch—or whether he should watch any at all. Ultimately, that decision is between the believer and God—or, in the case of minors, between their parents and God. Christians considering the issue of television should examine the Word, pray about it, listen to their conscience, and follow the Spirit’s leading.

Here are some verses that may help in discerning what is appropriate TV viewing for a Christian:

Matthew 5:28: “But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”

Matthew 6:22–23: “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eyes are bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!”

Romans 12:2: “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will.”

Romans 13:13–14: “Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.”

Philippians 4:8: “Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”

1 Thessalonians 5:21–22: “Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil.”

https://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-TV-television.html

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  78

I think watching t.v. is okay but we need to monitor what we watch.  I don't watch much really but if I do it's documentaries and news mostly.  But I confess I DO watch Ancient Aliens and argue with them all through the shows! 

• Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  8

4 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

But I confess I DO watch Ancient Aliens and argue with them all through the shows! 

:24:

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

2 hours ago, worthlessness1979 said:

I would say it's a matter of personal conviction.  I stopped watching television years ago, except I do confess a weakness for the Amazing Race lol.  

Guest bonnieschamberger

Ive never been a big tv person but Ive always been a huge movie person and movies are my favorite form of escapism...it used to be I was constantly popping in one of my dvds but in recent years ....and honestly I would have had a hard time doing this by choice lol ...but I told God His will and not mine ...and through circumstances not in my control I dont have access to a tv on a daily basis...I have a laptop and I get a new dvd from netflix twice a week ...so twice a week God and I have movie night...other than that I can go get books at the library...Im really thankful for this because everything is so focused now and I enjoy movie nights even more ...but in the beginning it was definately very frustrating

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  11,715
  • Content Per Day:  4.60
  • Days Won:  106

6 hours ago, worthlessness1979 said:

I watch some times a Christian movie or a documentary.  But I keep it sometimes, I do not want to over do it for myself.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

13 hours ago, worthlessness1979 said:

Interesting topic. Let me share with you what happened in my life just recently.

I used to watch TV a lot, series, worldly shows, movies, events, and many other things you can find on TV.

Then due to problems in my TV hardware I was forced to stay many months without TV AT ALL, without spare money to fix the thing I had no choice but to continue my life without TV.

Then I started doing things that benefited me a lot spiritually, I started focusing more on the things above, I received many thoughts telling me how the things of this world are illusory and try to deviate us from what really matters. It took me some time to understand, but it makes complete sense now. I started watching TV again recently, a few days ago but I am much more selective now, I pay attention to almost everything they say and do in the programs, what they do, etc; I was shocked, it is like my eyes were opened and I started seeing the abominable things taking place and being talk about there. It is very, very dangerous for the vulnerable who do not know the truth or who is not paying attention, many things there are performing a brainwashing on the viewer - and what is worse, mostly impure things. TAKE CARE!

I believe God allowed it to happen for me to see how I was hooked on that thing and I needed to wake up. And today I recognize that, it makes complete sense.

Today I watch TV, but it is mostly news and programs that do not disturb me spiritually and have something constructive to add. But I am spending far less time and more cautious now.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1979

Thanks everyone.