• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, Annette said:

It gives us a chance to take time and appreciate what we have now, reminding us that it came with a cost. Blessings. 

That's so true.

My father was a pilot in the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War.  I am so grateful he came home because, if he hadn't, I wouldn't be here! 

When fallen Canadian soldiers are repatriated, they are taken in a procession from the Canadian Forces Base at Trenton, Ontario, to the coroner's office in Toronto.  The stretch of the road they follow is called Highway of Heroes.  People gather on the overpasses to pay tribute to them as they go by.  I don't know as it was ever an intentional plan for people to pay their respects that way.  I think it just happened when a few people started to do it and then, over the years, others joined in.  Now it's a tradition, one that I find very moving.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  7

11 minutes ago, daughterofGrace said:

That's so true.

My father was a pilot in the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War.  I am so grateful he came home because, if he hadn't, I wouldn't be here! 

When fallen Canadian soldiers are repatriated, they are taken in a procession from the Canadian Forces Base at Trenton, Ontario, to the coroner's office in Toronto.  The stretch of the road they follow is called Highway of Heroes.  People gather on the overpasses to pay tribute to them as they go by.  I don't know as it was ever an intentional plan for people to pay their respects that way.  I think it just happened when a few people started to do it and then, over the years, others joined in.  Now it's a tradition, one that I find very moving.

I think it's great to show appreciation for what people have done. I am sure that the families that are left behind appreciate it too.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  1

When I see military personnel in uniform I thank them for their service. Respect and deep appreciation for those alive means a great deal too . While memorial day breaks my heart and reminds me that freedom comes at the highest cost. 

Once I said to a man with many stripes on his fatigues, thank you for your service. He turned and said, thank you but I'm just a mechanic for the fighter jets, I've never been in combat. 

Without hesitation I told him, I thank you anyway because you serve and keep our soldiers in the air. He had every right to be appreciated. And God be with him. 

God be with all who serve. And God's mercy embrace all who have died in service to everything we have and all that many of us take for granted. Never realizing how much it cost so many.