• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/30/2017 at 9:57 AM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Question 1: Is "Name It and Claim It" a cult hidden in plain sight amongst born-again believers?

Question 2: Is the "Prosperity Message" biblical?

Question 3: How many Christians here on this forum became Christians after hearing someone speaking in tongues? 

Question 4: How do you know the language you're speaking is not gibberish?

Question 5: How did you first start to speak in "tongues"?

Question 6: What benefit does speaking-in-tongues serve today's church?

My humble responses

Question 1: Is "Name It and Claim It" a cult hidden in plain sight amongst born-again believers?

I would not call it a cult. Definition of cult is as below. These people are not directing their devotion to some one other than Jesus. It's just that they got their doctrine all mixed up.

a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

Depends on what we define as Prosperity Message. Prosperity is definitely a blessing promised by Lord to so many people. However, it does not mean it is a guarantee for everyone.

Question 3: How many Christians here on this forum became Christians after hearing someone speaking in tongues? 

No, it was not because I heard someone speaking in tongues.

Actually I don't speak in tongues. All my prayers are in my native langauge or English. I would not call them gibberish.

Refer above. I don't speak in tongues

As long as there is someone to interpret, it will edify the Church. Helps personally as well.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,027
  • Content Per Day:  16.64

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:48 PM, ravindran said:

My humble responses

I would not call it a cult. Definition of cult is as below. These people are not directing their devotion to some one other than Jesus. It's just that they got their doctrine all mixed up.

a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

Depends on what we define as Prosperity Message. Prosperity is definitely a blessing promised by Lord to so many people. However, it does not mean it is a guarantee for everyone.

No, it was not because I heard someone speaking in tongues.

Actually I don't speak in tongues. All my prayers are in my native langauge or English. I would not call them gibberish.

Refer above. I don't speak in tongues

As long as there is someone to interpret, it will edify the Church. Helps personally as well.

Question 1: A definition is just words defined by someone else for communication purposes.  I do believe some worship a different Jesus than the one detailed in the Bible.d

Question 2: Yes, we're back to definitions.  Assigning a different meaning than what the Bible clearly states seems to be willingly spreading a false message.  I've been listening to a lot of contemporary Christian music and I am having trouble reconciling some lyrics with the Bible.  May be it's just me, but I don't think so.

Question 3: For the record, I became a Christian before I spoke in tongues, and I now question I ever spoke in tongues but I absolutely believe my Lord Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit speaks to me.  If only I'd always listen!

Question 4: Already answered, but I do not speak in tongues now or have for 25 years or so.

Question 5: A booklet by Kenneth Hagin.  (I don't recommend it).

Question 6: I'm sure some are helped, but I can't confirm that from personal experience.

• 4 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

Is it not denominationalism and wayward churches that have started these unbiblical movements. Each one putting a name on themselves that become as walls that divide. I have called this confusion.   

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

So you don’t speak in tongues. It has nothing whatsoever to do with prosperity gospels. Sigh. You can speak in tongues if you desire to. 

Edited by Kristin

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.81

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, Kristin said:

So you don’t speak in tongues. It has nothing whatsoever to do with prosperity gospels. Sigh. You can speak in tongues if you desire to. 

May I inquire of whom you were addressing? The rabbit whole im speaking of goes very deep. If I discussed in detail all  the confusion I might be banned. I do not believe in prosperity preaching. These people want wallets with gold lining. Jesus told the rich young ruler give it all to the poor and follow Him.  

On 10/13/2018 at 9:08 PM, Kristin said:

Who is edifyed with your speaking in tongues?

• 5 weeks later...

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33

On May 30, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I have.  I am willing to be corrected here.  Show me one teacher of the "Prosperity Gospel" who is not a speaker of tongues.  The converse I do not believe is true.  There are people who speak in tongues who do not adhere to the "Prosperity Gospel". 

Hmm, I don't think Robert Shuller spoke in tongues. I also don't think Joel Osteen prays in tongues. 

The Apostle Paul claims to have spoken in tongues more than his entire audience in Corinth, does that mean he was a health and wealth prosperity teacher as your tautology suggests. 

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33

On May 30, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

No.  I believe we have enough dictionaries to define what a cult is, and what it is not.  Usually cults revolve around a central figure, a la Jim Jones, with individual leaders having charismatic personalities.  Their word is gospel over and above the true Gospel of Jesus Christ as written in the Bible.  One could claim that Charles Darwin is a cult leader that persists to this day.  It need not involve faith and/or religion.

This is not a definition. When we speak of cult groups in Christian context the team "Cult," is defined as holding beliefs that are heretical. Examples would be Jehovah's Witnesses rejecting Jesus as coequal to the Father, or being eternal.

Secondly, rejecting orthodoxy does not make a group a cult. Seventh-day Adventists reject worshiping on Sunday. They are said to be heterodox not heretical!

Similarly, the Catholics have a different view of soteriology than Protestants but are not considered a cult. So Yes definitions really do matter here.

On October 15, 2018 at 10:10 AM, 1sheep said:

This seems to be a simple function of studying Paul's teaching on tongues. 

Why hey did Paul pray in tongues more than all his audience? Why did he think it was so important?

What role did intellectualism play in attempting to berate the gifts of the Spirit? Think about Augustine.

What role did the Enlightenment have on exercising gifts in the church? 

Edited by Uber Genius
Misquote

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2018 at 12:35 PM, Uber Genius said:

Hmm, I don't think Robert Shuller spoke in tongues. I also don't think Joel Osteen prays in tongues.

The Apostle Paul claims to have spoken in tongues more than his entire audience in Corinth, does that mean he was a health and wealth prosperity teacher as your tautology suggests. 

If you check youtube, you'll hear both Joel Osteen and his father speaking in "tongues" and defend it.  What's interesting about Joel's father John, is how he rewrites the Bible inserting Jesus when the text does not warrant it.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

On 10/15/2018 at 8:10 AM, 1sheep said:

I don’t know. Myself I guess.