• Days Won:  0

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,146
  • Content Per Day:  1.06

have been trying to find something about the catholic religion that is positive. for me and i havent managed to read the last few pages just skimmed. for me ultimately i am just interested in the Truth. the simple truths of Jesus that are somehow lost in all patriarchal  theology.

i have spent some time looking at both the protestant and catholic religion and i think nah .... religion has... and when i say religion i dont distinguish from anyone i lump them into the same bowl of cold left over spaghetti. i mean when i think.... at established church. its the same each week with a couple of different readings that are set by the church(es) for the year (in my understanding) and i think to myself where is the spiritual growth here? familiarity breeds contempt in that i dont hear the words the exact same words each week i try to stay focused but distraction has me by the heels. oh sure sometimes the sermons are edifying but you have to go through all the organised stuff first.

its full of rules regs rituals to it its not free flowing and no i dont rate the evangelical church either, they use un-scriptural stuff and quite frequently they use popular christian speakers as the authoritative word..i could go on ...

Roman Catholic Origins, history and beliefs

http://www.patheos.com/Library/Roman-Catholicism

The word "Catholic" is derived from the Greek katholikos, meaning universal. Evidence of its first use comes from Ignatius of Antioch's Letter to the Smyrnaeans in A.D. 108—in which Ignatius defines the Catholic church in contrast to beliefs he thought heretical.

• Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

I trust no one had a problem with #9 of the 9 things you should know.

"9. At the request of Pope Gregory XIII, the Council approved a plan to correct the errors to the Julian calendar that would allow for a more consistent and accurate scheduling of the feast of Easter. The reform included reducing the number of leap years in four centuries from 100 to 97. Although Protestant countries in Europe initially refused to adopt the 'Gregorian calendar' (also known as the Western or Christian calendar), it eventually became the most widely accepted and used civil calendar in the world."

BTW, #10 of 10 Things You Should Know about the Reformation states the following:

"Why was the Reformation controversial in the sixteenth century? Why does it remain controversial today? The answer, I believe, is that the Reformation (or rather the biblical gospel it rediscovered) makes us small and Christ big. At the heart of the Reformation was the realization that:

• We are more helpless than we realize.
  • Christ is more sufficient than we realize.
  • God is more gracious than we realize.

"This is what’s meant by soli Deo gloria, 'to the glory of God alone.' There’s no room in Reformation theology for human boasting. No one can claim their salvation or their knowledge of God is down to their intellect, morality, or religion. It’s all of God from start and finish. That’s our great hope and confidence. Our salvation is founded on the certain promises of God and the finished work of Christ. And if it’s all of God from start to finish, then the glory goes to him alone."

https://www.crossway.org/articles/ten-things-you-should-know-about-the-reformation/

And I trust there's not a problem with that either.

https://www.tomorrowsworld.org/magazines/2017/march-april/the-plain-truth-about-the-protestant-reformation-part-1
The Protestant movement today is on trial. The Protestant Reformation has spawned a veritable Babylon of hundreds of differing denominations. ....

We must not view the Reformation in the light of human ideas and what appears reasonable to man, but in the light of Christ’s words: “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every Word of God” (Luke 4:4). We need to consider also Jesus’ warning against human tradition, and the fact that the reformers understood this principle and claimed to pursue a course based upon “the Bible only.”

Guest Judas Machabeus
4 hours ago, existential mabel said:

have been trying to find something about the catholic religion that is positive. for me and i havent managed to read the last few pages just skimmed. for me ultimately i am just interested in the Truth. the simple truths of Jesus that are somehow lost in all patriarchal  theology.

i have spent some time looking at both the protestant and catholic religion and i think nah .... religion has... and when i say religion i dont distinguish from anyone i lump them into the same bowl of cold left over spaghetti. i mean when i think.... at established church. its the same each week with a couple of different readings that are set by the church(es) for the year (in my understanding) and i think to myself where is the spiritual growth here? familiarity breeds contempt in that i dont hear the words the exact same words each week i try to stay focused but distraction has me by the heels. oh sure sometimes the sermons are edifying but you have to go through all the organised stuff first.

its full of rules regs rituals to it its not free flowing and no i dont rate the evangelical church either, they use un-scriptural stuff and quite frequently they use popular christian speakers as the authoritative word..i could go on ...

I think you are looking at it from the wrong point of view. What you say "its the same each week with a couple of different readings that are set by the church(es) for the year (in my understanding) and i think to myself where is the spiritual growth here?" That stuff that's the same every week is called worshipping God. At our Church there are paraders that are said every week. That's because we are there to worship God. We are not there to be entertained. We are there to give ourselves to the Lord, and we are not there to say what are you going to give me. 

Roman Catholic Origins, history and beliefs

http://www.patheos.com/Library/Roman-Catholicism

The word "Catholic" is derived from the Greek katholikos, meaning universal. Evidence of its first use comes from Ignatius of Antioch's Letter to the Smyrnaeans in A.D. 108—in which Ignatius defines the Catholic church in contrast to beliefs he thought heretical.

Yep, Catholic is not a denomination it's a world to identify one true faith. The universal faith. The Orthodox Churches call themselves as such because they view their faith as the original Catholic faith therefore "returning" to Orthodoxy. In most cases there is so very little difference between the two that they can receive communion together. 

Guest Judas Machabeus

https://www.tomorrowsworld.org/magazines/2017/march-april/the-plain-truth-about-the-protestant-reformation-part-1
The Protestant movement today is on trial. The Protestant Reformation has spawned a veritable Babylon of hundreds of differing denominations. ....

We must not view the Reformation in the light of human ideas and what appears reasonable to man, but in the light of Christ’s words: “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every Word of God” (Luke 4:4). We need to consider also Jesus’ warning against human tradition, and the fact that the reformers understood this principle and claimed to pursue a course based upon “the Bible only.”

First off we need to be honest about something. Protestant have plenty of their own man made traditions that they have introduced that are not biblical so the idea of the reformation being a release from tradition is not true. Also while we are being honest the whole "bible only" again is not found in scripture. Bible alone allowed Luther to reject the Catholic Church, a Church he was a monk in and a Church he became dissonant with. So to justify his rejection of the Church he used scripture and when he couldn't find scripture he added the words he needed to so that scripture would fit he also attempted to remove books from the NT and he was successful in removing books from the OT. This is the foundation upon which the reformation was built upon. It was built upon changing scripture, canon of scripture and theology to match a pissed off Monks idea of what Christianity should be. NOT what Jesus's idea of Christianity was but Luthers. Not this romanticized idea of freeing the true gospel from the bondage of the Catholic Church.

My fiance who is a former Protestant still attend's her old woman's group bible study. So it's Protestant, and the study is on David and while I was perusing Worth on my phone and she was watching one of the video's for the study something caught my attention. The commentator was talking about Psalm 23 and she said "I know the text doesn't say this but we can force this meaning into anyways...."

That is your Protestant Reformation right there "I know the text doesn't say this but we can force the meaning into it anyways"

Guest Judas Machabeus
2 minutes ago, Davida said:

The Roman Catholic Church keeps trying to insist that IT alone, with all it's pagan rites is the "universal faith"  --I believe it is that, it is bent on being the One World Religion - which is NOT made up of Believers. It IS the Universal Faith-- the Universal Religion of False worship of the World , and the RCC  wants to be the uniting and controlling force -the Ecumenical hub for all faiths.  But the TRUTH & the Catch to all this is that  the RCC is not the Invisible Church of Believers mentioned in the Bible , it is not the Bride of Christ. The RCC's in antithetical to Biblical Christianity and it's own goal is to oppose  & destroy it , that is why it lifts up it's Tradition over the Word of GOD, because the Word of GOD exposes it to be counterfeit to Biblical Christianity.    But the TRUE Believers obey the Word of God and do Not incorporate pagan ceremonies into their worship, or  bow down to idols, & pay Priests for ceremonies to get them to heaven or their dead relatives out of purgatory.  True believers don't place statues of Mary or other dead saints in their homes or in our places of worship, they do not go to Priests to have their sins forgiven or think that a mere man , the Pope possesses any divinity.  One of many bad RC fruit is Pope Francis saying peddling to unite faiths & all the subtle statements that he makes that lead away from the Word of God that come out of Francis's mouth.  

Matt 7: 15-17 "15Beware of false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.…"   

The bad fruit is following RCC traditions & man-made doctrines, & RCC phony ungodly scripts for salvation, or turning to Mary for help, or  intercession with GOD other then CHRIST Jesus.   1Tim 2:5 "5For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6who gave Himself as a ransom for all—the testimony that was given at just the right time.…"

In the interest of not chasing you down a rabbit hole I only highlighted 3 things you said.

I assume you would consider yourself a true believer. So I would like to ask you if it's okay for a true believer to ignore scripture and go against scripture. Would that still make them a true believer?

I ask this because in multiple places in scripture it says we are not to bare false witness. The high priest looked for someone to do just that very thing so he could justify killing Jesus. Catholics do not pay priest to get into heaven, they do not worship idols and they do not believe the pope is divine. It amazes me when people climb atop the high horse and start bashing other faiths all the while they are guilty of the very thing God hates (see my sig).

Cheers and God Bless