• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

Luke 13:6-10

Does this parable mean like someone petitioning the Lord to have mercy on someone? To give more time for the gospel to be preached?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

I would liken it to what Jesus taught in some of the other parables such as these below.

Mark 4:26 And He said, “The kingdom of God is as if a man should scatter seed on the ground, 27 and should sleep by night and rise by day, and the seed should sprout and grow, he himself does not know how. 28 For the earth yields crops by itself: first the blade, then the head, after that the full grain in the head. 29 But when the grain ripens, immediately he puts in the sickle, because the harvest has come.”

Mark 4:30 Then He said, “To what shall we liken the kingdom of God? Or with what parable shall we picture it? 31 It is like a mustard seed which, when it is sown on the ground, is smaller than all the seeds on earth; 32 but when it is sown, it grows up and becomes greater than all herbs, and shoots out large branches, so that the birds of the air may nest under its shade.”

What the parables say in my view is that we as disciples may plant a seed in someone, but not to be impatient or lose heart thinking that our work was in vain if the seed does not immediately sprout.  It takes time, and perhaps the seed one plants must be watered later by another before it will grow.  So never lose heart in spreading the good news, even when you don't see immediate results.

God bless

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

Both the fig tree and the vineyard were recognised symbols for the nation of Israel. So a fig-tree growing in a vineyard represents Israel, or possibly the leadership of Israel.

A fig tree that has been fruitless for three consecutive years is unlikely to bear fruit ever again.

The nation of Israel had benefited from 1500 years of God’s protection and lavish care; yet by the time of Jesus Judaism was, by and large, a barren religion. The barren fig tree adversely affects the health of the whole vineyard, and sterile leadership damages the community that depends on it.

God is very patient; but His patience is not inexhaustible. There is a tension in His heart between justice and mercy. If justice wins, then we have no hope. But He will spare no effort to make repentance possible, and this parable reassures us that no-one will have insufficient opportunity to repent.

But the preaching of Jesus and His apostles was Israel’s ‘last chance’. If they failed to respond, they would lose their favoured status.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Hosea 9:10 (NASB95)
10 I found Israel like grapes in the wilderness; I saw your forefathers as the earliest fruit on the fig tree in its first season. But they came to Baal-peor and devoted themselves to shame, And they became as detestable as that which they loved.

There is a pre-seasonal fig that sometimes sprouts which is particularly sweet. I was this that Jesus sought and found none (not even the seasonal figs) for it was not yet the season for figs.

The prophetic analogy is seems to point to Israel but I declare rather it is against the turning away of Israel from YHVH to false gods (or in this case from the Messiah (YHVH Incarnate). 

You will go on to read Jesus mention the throwing of "this mountain" into "the sea"  (mountain analogous to religion and the seas analogous to the pagan / gentile nations of the world).

My personal take on the passage... Jesus was putting an end to the temporary atonement aspect of Temple sacrifice as he was about to fulfill Torah with regard to keeping the Law on the cross.

May you never produce fruit again...

Note it will be revived again but will not produce fruit.

Oh yes, one more thing. Fig leaves were what Adam and Eve used as the first "religious" act of mankind trying to cover their sins / nakedness.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

OOPS! I beg your pardon! I was on the other Fig Tree Parable...

Mark 11:13–23 (NASB95)
13 Seeing at a distance a fig tree in leaf, He went to see if perhaps He would find anything on it; and when He came to it, He found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs.
14 He said to it, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again!” And His disciples were listening.
15 Then they came to Jerusalem. And He entered the temple and began to drive out those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves;
16 and He would not permit anyone to carry merchandise through the temple.
17 And He began to teach and say to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations’? But you have made it a robbers’ den.”
18 The chief priests and the scribes heard this, and began seeking how to destroy Him; for they were afraid of Him, for the whole crowd was astonished at His teaching.
19 When evening came, they would go out of the city.
20 As they were passing by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots up.
21 Being reminded, Peter said to Him, “Rabbi, look, the fig tree which You cursed has withered.”
22 And Jesus answered saying to them, “Have faith in God.
23 “Truly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it will be granted him.

My bad.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

So fig tree= Israel/ believer and the Gardner is Jesus?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Our time is limited. God's patience has a limit. Judgement is near.