• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,556
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Seeing the apologetics area on the board I am led to wonder and to question the overall industry of apologetics as it is applied today.

Just what good purpose does it serve? Is there any  anything at all, or is the industry more  a series of contests for entertainment of followers of this debater and that one? Is there salvation testified to in the debates? Is the Holy Spirit called upon  to open the eyes and then change the hearts of the unsaved?

Just what do the ship cruises that sell berths for a week of hearing James White,  or Phil Johnson take on Ergun Caner, or whoever is set up as the opponent plan  to accomplish, other than  to make a living for the debaters the cruise lines and the planners of debates? I get the strong feeling one comes out having listened to such debates enlightened only in that which they went in with and  did  already claim and profess.  If so then  the purpose is what? 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

I think that God was ingenious in the way that he has revealed himself to us.

There are some simple minded people in the world that hear the gospel in a very simple way and get it. There are also some very intelligent people that hear the gospel in a very simple way and get it. God intended it to be very simple.

I believe too that God has also revealed himself and the way we should live out our lives, in such a way that we can spend lifetimes trying to understand. In doing that we will constantly be seeking him.

When it comes to the debates around apologetics I feel it is important to know who it is we are debating with, where they are in regards to salvation and be aware that trying to press home our understanding for the sake of being right can completely miss the mark that God wants us to hit. If we are not care  full  we can be knocking someone down rather than building them up.

For me, simply put, if God was simply put, I would simply put him to bed, check the box and move on. Fortunately he has done things in such a way that after salvation there is soooo much more.

I love thinking deeper about him and I find debates one of the ways to do that.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,556
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Thanks! I like that thought.

Having spent at least some time, and perhaps  too much time  reading and watching such debates, and I confess enjoying much of it, I started think wait a minute to what end is all this?

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

For those who just make a buck off all this, God knows their hearts.  All we can do is pray for them.  The rest is up to Him.

That said, there is a time for debates, when it is an issues about salvation and your side is the truth.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,829
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

On 6/8/2017 at 5:14 PM, Neighbor said:

Thanks! I like that thought.

Having spent at least some time, and perhaps  too much time  reading and watching such debates, and I confess enjoying much of it, I started think wait a minute to what end is all this?

Hello Neighbor, I would like to invite you to a debate. 

I am just kidding. 

There is no place for debates in a church environment, and there is no place also for examining the speaker, unless you ready for your exit from that church. 

Like Paul said give them what they ask, good complements, not because you agree with the speaker, just considering the time they have invested, their good intentions, the effort and their own motivation. 

Just make them happy, if not they are going to hurt you, they are easily offended, and hold a grudge, just give them your tithes, and make sure you mark your name. 

And if you meet them outside the church , be always polite, and cheerful, thank you for your subject. 

Like Jesus said, if they cannot take criticism, just pretend, a little bit hipocricy reaps good rewards. 

JESUS loves hipocricy, not the bad one, hope you are not misread the above comment, within the correct context. Hipocricy is a much learn skill, and has its place and brings peace and builds self esteem. Many families have ended in divorce because of been unskilful in been pretentious, and  pleases people. And can advance a promotion at work. 

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, Your closest friendnt said:

JESUS loves hipocricy, not the bad one, hope you are not misread the above comment, within the correct context. Hipocricy is a much learn skill, and has its place and brings peace and builds self esteem. Many families have ended in divorce because of been unskilful in been pretentious, and  pleases people. And can advance a promotion at work. 

Say what?  this whole paragraph is nonsense.  This is something an unbeliever would think and say

Edited by giggling appy

5 hours ago, giggling appy said:

Say what?  this whole paragraph is nonsense.  This is something an unbeliever would think and say

Thank you for considering me as a Believer. 

There are different kinds of hipocricy. 

Hipocricy that is underline with a"good" motive, is not the same as hipocricy that is underline with a "bad" motive . 

As they are different kinds of honesty. 

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

5 minutes ago, Your closest friendnt said:

Thank you for considering me as a Believer. 

There are different kinds of hipocricy. 

Hipocricy that is underline with a"good" motive, is not the same as hipocricy that is underline with a "bad" motive . 

As they are different kinds of honesty. 

That is like saying that there are different kinds of lies.  There are lies with good motives and there are lies with bad motives, yet, a lie is a lie.

7 hours ago, Yowm said:

I find it hard to believe Jesus loves hypocrisy and pretension. Do you have any supportive Scriptures for that?

I do a lot, and I won't leave you disappointed. 

I do have a lot in my mind. 

Can hipocritical attitude or pretensions behavior bring fourth good fruit? 

By the fruit you shall know. 

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

That is like saying that there are different kinds of lies.  There are lies with good motives and there are lies with bad motives, yet, a lie is a lie.

It has a lot to do with the context.