IGNORED

13 Alabama counties saw 85 percent drop in food stamp participation after work requirements restarted

Justice_League

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

9 minutes ago, Justice_League said:

Yes, I actually read this on some news site I was on.  It's not necessarily that people are lazy, it's the act of forcing them to be responsible and that's better for them AND the taxpayer.  It's a win win.

7 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

Yes, I actually read this on some news site I was on.  It's not necessarily that people are lazy, it's the act of forcing them to be responsible and that's better for them AND the taxpayer.  It's a win win.

I agree... though there's plenty of laziness and outright abuse of the system too. But I think it can help break a cycle in some cases... I feel for the children who have been brought up in households where hard work wasn't valued or modeled for them.

17 minutes ago, Justice_League said:

I agree... though there's plenty of laziness and outright abuse of the system too. But I think it can help break a cycle in some cases... I feel for the children who have been brought up in households where hard work wasn't valued or modeled for them.

I have some in my own family, not immediate but extended.  My kids were raised to work...and all three of them do.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

53 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

If people are legitimately able to work they should work. Too many people are working the system and are cheating.This is making it more difficult for those who are legitimately disabled.  Sometimes a person is laid off from their job and they are eligible for food stamps or EBT for awhile. There is a rise in the homeless.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

We've had that for a while. It did help. I'm told that here in Oklahoma the average time for people to be on food stamps is 18 months. I'm not sure that includes elderly people who live only on social security.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, other one said:

We've had that for a while. It did help. I'm told that here in Oklahoma the average time for people to be on food stamps is 18 months. I'm not sure that includes elderly people who live only on social security.

I was laid off. I did not qualify for food stamps because I was given a really nice severance package when I left from my employer.

4 hours ago, Davida said:

It is staggering.  These free handouts seem to bring out the worst in some people and bring out too many that will try to rip off the system. The government assistance given in the past was called "relief" it was supposed to be to give the family relief for a short period of time til new work was found , it was not welfare for life.  Unaccountable welfare undermines the will to do for yourself & your family.

When the federal government is responsible for the handouts it's all just nameless and faceless. If people had to rely on actual charity from their neighbors they would have to see that the money they're being given is being taken directly out of other people's families' mouths, and maybe feel some sense of personal accountability. 

I can't tell you how many times I've been in the grocery line behind someone using an EBT card, and they have a nicer phone and car than I could ever afford....

16 minutes ago, Justice_League said:

When the federal government is responsible for the handouts it's all just nameless and faceless. If people had to rely on actual charity from their neighbors they would have to see that the money they're being given is being taken directly out of other people's families' mouths, and maybe feel some sense of personal accountability. 

I can't tell you how many times I've been in the grocery line behind someone using an EBT card, and they have a nicer phone and car than I could ever afford....

I agree with that premise and I don't think the government does anyone a favor by fostering dependence.  The one who feeds you controls you. Maybe that's the whole idea?  I want to see aid to the elderly, the disabled and to young children.  But able bodied adults laying about on the taxpayer's dime galls me.  The Bible is clear on this subject....

2 Thessaloians 3:10 KJV

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

I didn't see where it says they got jobs. Did it say? I don't know.  Unknown to many people, there are working people who qualify  for food stamps.  This ideal that people are not being responsible is offensive to me. Sometimes stuff happens in life. Your job cuts your hrs, someone gets sick. You find yourself in a place you never thought you would be.:12: