MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

This is actually not a new idea but it IS a sound one.  Instead of endless taxpayer funded government 'training programs', which are okay but still run by the government, Trump proposes having companies hire and train apprentices to do actual work.  No basket weaving or butterfly grouping.  Okay that was just silly but this is how people were trained into skilled jobs in our grandparents' time and it works.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trumps-policy-jobs-getting-better-174414332.html

Guest shiloh357

If I could go back in time, I would have learned a skill like welding.  Yes, I think apprenticeships would really work and is one of the best ways to gain a skill that no one can take away from you.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Apprenticeship is the answer for the millions of underemployed AA young men and women throughout cities nationwide. However that reality can only come true once they drop the democratic mantra mindset and seek the help being offered now by the programs out there and Trumps vision to help inner cities. Have to put politics aside and concentrate on a job! 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  907
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

This is actually not a new idea but it IS a sound one.  Instead of endless taxpayer funded government 'training programs', which are okay but still run by the government, Trump proposes having companies hire and train apprentices to do actual work.  No basket weaving or butterfly grouping.  Okay that was just silly but this is how people were trained into skilled jobs in our grandparents' time and it works.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trumps-policy-jobs-getting-better-174414332.html

Makes great sense and saves tax dollars. This country has needed a business minded man like president Trump in office for a very long time. God be with him. 

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

This is an excellent idea and I hope Trump can get it to stick.  The last two presidents also had the same idea but were unable to get any traction on it.  

This is something we need to change at the lowest level, our high schools.  At my son's school the counselors will work to try and talk someone out of a going to a "trade school" as they and the school get graded on how many go off to 4 year colleges.  This is a mindset we need to get away from but it seems to be getting worse instead of better.

My son, who just finished his freshman year, mentioned a trade school to his counselor and her response was basically "well, if you think you are not smart enough for college, then..."

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

There's a young man in our church who just completed a two-year program for heavy equipment operators and mechanics.

He's very bright, but (according to his mother) was never interested in going to a 4 year college.  He was the 'get your hands dirty' type.

So he'll graduate with little to no student loan debt, and he already has a job that is paying very well.

This could be a template for many young people to follow.

Blessings,

-Ed

3 minutes ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

There's a young man in our church who just completed a two-year program for heavy equipment operators and mechanics.

He's very bright, but (according to his mother) was never interested in going to a 4 year college.  He was the 'get your hands dirty' type.

So he'll graduate with little to no student loan debt, and he already has a job that is paying very well.

This could be a template for many young people to follow.

Blessings,

-Ed

This is a great template!  And there are so many different options to choose from.  Our country has put way too much value on a college degree and I am not sure we can ever go back.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,076
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Agreed.  Maybe when a B'S degrees person gets tired of flipping burgers and finds he can spend 16 months getting certified as a welder and make $35 an hour to start, he'll spend the time and tell others about it.

We have an 18 month program at our votec  that earns an ,air frame and power plant FAA certification,  and 99% of the people who graduate have  job waiting for them at $25 an hour and up.

8 minutes ago, other one said:

Agreed.  Maybe when a B'S degrees person gets tired of flipping burgers and finds he can spend 16 months getting certified as a welder and make $35 an hour to start, he'll spend the time and tell others about it.

We have an 18 month program at our votec  that earns an ,air frame and power plant FAA certification,  and 99% of the people who graduate have  job waiting for them at $25 an hour and up.

Go the FAA or such, forget welding!   just kidding, sort of.  Welding is  hard, hard job and leaves a lasting impact on a person.

I was a welder before I joined the Corps...do it for very long at all and your eyes are toast.  

That was one of my two reasons for joining the Marines. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,076
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

6 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Go the FAA or such, forget welding!   just kidding, sort of.  Welding is  hard, hard job and leaves a lasting impact on a person.

I was a welder before I joined the Corps...do it for very long at all and your eyes are toast.  

That was one of my two reasons for joining the Marines. 

I have several welders in my extended family and they had a lot more lung trouble than eye problems... Not counting cataracts which a lot of us get anyway.