Is religion addiction bad?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Hi. I just approached to God and I think right now that everything from the world (friends, jokes, movies) can be bad.

I think this is called "religion addiction".

Am I right? What should I do?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

You don't want to go through life afraid, God does not give us a Spirit of fear, but one of power and might.  We live in the world, but we don't conform to the world.  You can't go through life hiding and still spread the good news of Jesus can you?

I Corinthians 5:9 I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. 10 Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world.

We have to be in the world to fulfill the great commission, and at the same time safeguard ourselves from being corrupted by it.  Stay away from temptation, anything you struggle with internally should be avoided.  For example, if your flesh desires to do drugs, do not spend time with those who do drugs until you have control over yourself.

God bless

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Loving God and putting Him first in your life is not being addicted to "religion".    But if your friends are involved in sin, you might need to find new friends.  Many new Christians go through this and are treated with scorn by their old friends because they feel guilty for their sin.  So try to find new friends who also love God and read their bibles.  And be kind to your old friends.  Overcome evil with good.  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  433
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/24/1990

The wold is full of carnal toxin meant to crush your Spirit. Only through the power of the Holy Ghost can this deception be fought. I pray the Lord gives you understanding in this.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

Having just approached God, you should "enter into" His relationship with excitement and joy.But you should also allow life to come to you. By that I mean that when you have a question, take time to learn about the answer. To automatically get rid of friends or activities is probably not the best thing to do. Unless those activities are sinful. If you are doing drugs or other illegal things, yes, by all means quit. But if you like bowling or dancing or other social activities, take your time to learn about God and what He thinks about those activities. God wants us to enjoy life, but He also wants us to enjoy Him. His Holy Spirit will guide you into your best way to do both and glorify God at the same time.

If you are worried about "religion addiction", then your heart is in the right place and I wouldn't worry about it. Pursue Jesus and enjoy Jesus. At the point where everything is a problem and there is no joy anywhere, THEN we will re-visit the question.

Blessings

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Hi Mat! Having friends,  watching movies or telling jokes isn't a bad thing. What's important is the content of those movies and jokes and regarding friends, it is important that they have the same views as you do. The truth is that we live in a earthly world, but as God's children we were chosen to resemble Jesus as much as we can. The majority of the content that is being promoted nowadays in mass media is ment to lead us astray from the path that God wants us to follow. I think that having a sense of humor is a great thing. 

Edited by Iasmin