• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Typically a subject for Q&A section. 

But poignant enough to remain here (with the mods' permission of course).

Is prophecy simply predicting / telling the future?

What is prophecy?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

Do you mean prophecy as in the books of the prophets in the Old Testament? Or the gift of prophecy in the Church today?

They aren't quite the same thing.

I hold that prophecy is the ability to predict events that will happen in the distant future. "Prophecy" in the Church today is always a "word" about an event that will occur in the near term. It also must be confirmed by another individual who is unknown to the person giving the "word." I believe that the last Prophet was Jesus Christ Himself. There have been many who claim the gift of Prophecy or to being prophets, but none of them (to my knowledge) has met the qualification of independent confirmation or the ability to accurately predict future Godly events.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

5 hours ago, JohnD said:

Typically a subject for Q&A section. 

But poignant enough to remain here (with the mods' permission of course).

Is prophecy simply predicting / telling the future?

What is prophecy?

No, prophecy is not just limited to predicting/ telling the future.  I don't see that there is anything to add to scripture, so I think there is a difference between prophets of the OT and prophets today.

I Corinthians 14:3  But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

1Co 14:3  AMP  But [on the other hand], the one who prophesies [who interprets the divine will and purpose in inspired preaching and teaching] speaks to men for their upbuilding and constructive spiritual progress and encouragement and consolation.

1Co 14:4  He who speaks in a [strange] tongue edifies and improves himself, but he who prophesies [interpreting the divine will and purpose and teaching with inspiration] edifies and improves the church and promotes growth [in Christian wisdom, piety, holiness, and happiness].

Prophets of old also did these things but most often they were imploring the nation of Israel or Judah to repent or the promised judgements given when the law was given would soon come upon them.     

DARBY:  Two Verses in this Chapter 14 demand a little attention (1Co 14:1-2 — the 3rd and the 6th (1Co 14:31Co 14:6). Verse 3 (1Co 14:3) is the effect, or rather the quality, of that which a prophet says, and not a definition. He edifies, he encourages, he comforts, by speaking. Nevertheless these words shew the character of what he said. Prophecy is in no wise simply the revelation of future events, although prophets as such have revealed them. A prophet is one who is so in communication with God as to be able to communicate His mind. A teacher instructs according to that which is already written, and so explains its import. But, in communicating the mind of God to souls under grace, the prophet encouraged and edified them. 

Prophecy communicates the character of God as well.   It contains tender love but also righteousness and power.  So the words are authoritative and usually a great blessing and encouragement, even when it is a warning to repent of sin and walk in holiness to the Lord.  It is the voice of the Father to His children.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Prophecy / profess / prophet / professor...

IMHO...

Is to state something.

Or to be the one stating something.

In the case of God's word, my signature already says the rest of my opinion.

For those who don't have signatures switched on...Picture.png

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Willa wrote very well indeed. And a scripture to sum it up -

`For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.` (Rev. 19: 10)

Prophecy is God speaking through one of Christ`s ministry gifts, (Eph. 4: 11) His prophets of the Body of Christ or those who just have the gift of prophecy. The ministry of Christ in the prophet, brings forth deep understanding of Christ, His character and His purposes. Believers who have the gift of prophecy bring forth encouragement, edifying & exhortation messages that build up the Body of Christ.

Prophecies of future events are written in God`s word.

Marilyn. 

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

The prophecies about Christ were not declarations about a man of the past but a man of the End Times who can do what no other man has been able to do. The story of Jesus was written in symbolism but most if not all take it literally which changes the meaning and the value of what will be done to turn earth into paradise. If you believe that such a man will exist and heed the advice that was written in the Bible then you should listen to me. I have already fulfilled at least 300 prophecies about Christ which is impossible for anyone other than the real Christ to do. I suggest you look in my wake and listen to what I have to say about the story that was prophesized about me and choose wisely who you want to follow.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,770
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On 6/18/2017 at 11:48 AM, Rick_Parker said:

I hold that prophecy is the ability to predict events that will happen in the distant future. "Prophecy" in the Church today is always a "word" about an event that will occur in the near term. It also must be confirmed by another individual who is unknown to the person giving the "word." I believe that the last Prophet was Jesus Christ Himself. There have been many who claim the gift of Prophecy or to being prophets, but none of them (to my knowledge) has met the qualification of independent confirmation or the ability to accurately predict future Godly events.

My question would be what's left to prophecy about... we've been told everything up and to the eternal state?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  430
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

On 6/18/2017 at 5:47 PM, wingnut- said:

No, prophecy is not just limited to predicting/ telling the future.  I don't see that there is anything to add to scripture, so I think there is a difference between prophets of the OT and prophets today.

I Corinthians 14:3  But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.

Prophets were a 'position' in the New Testament church and I don't believe there are prophets today.  All the prophecies have been given and there's no need for further revelation.  Prophets pretty much became obsolete once the church was established.  Now that we have the gifts of the spirit, we can prophesy, but that doesn't make one a prophet.