• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,035
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

18 hours ago, Rick_Parker said:

I would say that today's prophet can prophecy about short term, limited scope, events to come or perhaps consequences of corporate (group) actions. Indeed, the future has been given and there is nothing new to add to that, but short/near term events can be foretold as a "word" of knowledge. Prophecy, after all, is a Gift of the Spirit.

God placed His Seal upon His Word as to foretelling at the end of God's prophetic council of Revelation...
Do not add and do not take away: meaning it is finished as is period! The Word of God itself directs in matters of life and is the sole use in such matters, all else is humanism at effort to gain foot holds upon the minds of people... God said it clearly and distinctly

2 Timothy 3:15 (KJV)

[15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

[17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

There exist no other promise in any other form of writing, speaking, anything... God's Word of authority states implicitly His Word and nothing else is able to do the perfection of this life in service to Him! I've often wondered why the simple is so difficult with some :noidea: 

"There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines." 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 (NIV)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

20 minutes ago, Rick_Parker said:

"There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines." 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 (NIV)

Rightly dividing the Word would leave us at this understanding of this above
The New Testament canon was still being formed and John's Revelation still to be written... now past and The Word of God is sealed no add no take away... prophecy in any form as to foretelling has ceased for God says what is written is sufficient

2 Timothy 3:15 (KJV)

[15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

[17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

The idea that more is needed- this that is so commonly accepted as from God can only be so if it parrots the Scripture... as Scripture itself has the promise above and nothing else! Satan's whole agenda is to take from God and keep for self...

2 hours ago, enoob57 said:

The idea that more is needed- this that is so commonly accepted as from God can only be so if it parrots the Scripture... as Scripture itself has the promise above and nothing else! Satan's whole agenda is to take from God and keep for self..

I never said, nor implied, that more "eternal prophecy" was needed. If you would bother to re-read my prior posts, I said that all new prophecy was for today and was a "word" given to someone about an immediate or short-term event or consequence. All prophecy given today must be confirmed by one, preferably two, independent witnesses. I know that Jesus Christ was the last of the Old Testament Prophets and that the Apostle John sealed all "eternal prophecy" that was not and could not be added to. But that is distinctly different than the "prophetic utterances" that I am talking about. And to say that "prophetic utterances" are from Satan is just wrong, as is saying that what the Apostle Paul wrote, through the leading of the Holy Spirit, was not for today is false teaching and I am surprised to read it from you. 

1 hour ago, Rick_Parker said:

I never said, nor implied, that more "eternal prophecy" was needed. If you would bother to re-read my prior posts, I said that all new prophecy was for today and was a "word" given to someone about an immediate or short-term event or consequence. All prophecy given today must be confirmed by one, preferably two, independent witnesses. I know that Jesus Christ was the last of the Old Testament Prophets and that the Apostle John sealed all "eternal prophecy" that was not and could not be added to. But that is distinctly different than the "prophetic utterances" that I am talking about. And to say that "prophetic utterances" are from Satan is just wrong, as is saying that what the Apostle Paul wrote, through the leading of the Holy Spirit, was not for today is false teaching and I am surprised to read it from you. 

we're not on same communication here... I said "prophecy in any form as to foretelling has ceased for God says what is written is sufficient" and then you go off in this tangent (bolded) which is more a defense of belief in a common practice of churches today I have a word for you stuff... I have a Word for them and it is claimed by God to belong to God called the Holy Scriptures 'God saying this >MY Word<'... and yes it is a subtle attempt to pronounce God communicating to us other than by Scripture and I'm not yielding myself to it... that's why I quoted the 2Tim 3:15-17 passage where God is saying in His Word the very same thing I'm saying to you now 'His Word is sufficient' ...I don't need a word from you or anyone else I need God's Word The Scriptures as my word

3 hours ago, enoob57 said:

Rightly dividing the Word would leave us at this understanding of this above
The New Testament canon was still being formed and John's Revelation still to be written... now past and The Word of God is sealed no add no take away... prophecy in any form as to foretelling has ceased for God says what is written is sufficient

2 Timothy 3:15-17 (KJV)

The idea that more is needed- this that is so commonly accepted as from God can only be so if it parrots the Scripture... as Scripture itself has the promise above and nothing else! Satan's whole agenda is to take from God and keep for self...

I have found most that hold to this extra Biblical rhetoric do not see this

The Sufficiency of Scripture 173

revelations, visions, or words of prophecy. In contrast to the theories of men, God’s

Word is true and absolutely comprehensive. Rather than seeking something more

than God’s glorious revelation, Christians need only to study and obey what they

already have!

https://www.tms.edu/m/tmsj15g.pdf

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Why do we need prophets today if we have the completed Revelation from God in the Bible? We need to be careful what we define as " Biblical prophecy".

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,441
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 6/18/2017 at 11:07 AM, JohnD said:

Typically a subject for Q&A section. 

But poignant enough to remain here (with the mods' permission of course).

Is prophecy simply predicting / telling the future?

What is prophecy?

Based on my understanding, there's two types of prophets and prophesies, and they may or may not be mutually inclusive as shown many times in the Bible.

You have the foreknowledge of God declaring the end from the beginning and giving history before it happens, given to the prophets to record, basically referred to as Biblical prophecy. You also have many biblical named prophet's who never prophesied a future event. They were mouth pieces (spokesmen, chosen representitives) for the Lord. 

Prophesy is given by the Lord for at least two reasons. The major reason in my studies is, that we may know for certain that He is whom He say's He is. The second reason is, least we not be ignorant of His plan, our future, to watch and discern the times. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

In my experience, New Testament prophecies and prophets are given for the edification and encouragement of the body. At times, under the direction of the Holy Spirit, this may include predictive statements. But, in general, a New Testament prophet is one who encourages and builds up.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  2,411
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

You hear today, in mainly Pentecostal ministries, the pastors uses the title "prophet".   There are many pentecostals here, maybe they can explain the use and function of that title.   Does a prophet prophesy in terms of telling of events that will occur in the future or does he preach or expound the word of God and in this capacity his title of prophet is used.  

Prophecy is the telling of future events that has to come true or it is obviously not.