IGNORED

Karen Handel defeats Democratic opponent in the hotly contested Georgia special election

MorningGlory

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

5 hours ago, SavedByGrace1981 said:

I'd like to get back to the topic of how much money was spent (mostly on the losing cause by the democrats) on this election.  By all accounts I've seen, a record amount for a congressional race.  For years we've been hearing "there's too much money involved in elections".  We've had Congress attempt to apply a band-aid in the form of "McCain/Feingold."  We've had the Supreme Court address it with "Citizens United."

All the while, the amount of money in each election cycle seems to continue to rise.

So the Left poured millions of dollars into what turned out to be a lost cause.  Will they perhaps learn the lesson that money alone (sans message) cannot buy elections?  I'm cautiously optimistic.

In listening to the post election spin on TV, I heard someone's take on this.  While much less attention was paid to it, there was also a special election in South Carolina.  While the republican did win that one as well, it turned out to be surprisingly much closer than anyone thought it would be.  And much closer than the Georgia election.

So maybe the big-money donors will learn, and find other ways to influence the vote.  Come up with a palpable message, perhaps?

Blessings,

-Ed

what about all those people who make a living from the adds and promotion gatherings....   I'm sure the local TV stations in Atlanta would not agree that too much was spent...   you might be putting some poor old sign makers out of work.   How many people earn a living in putting on a Donald Trump Rally?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

6 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

Dinesh D'SouzaVerified account @DineshDSouza

Priceless facial expressions at @CNN following Handel's win over Ossoff in #GeorgiaSixth

DCz9RtsV0AEbzqZ.jpg

That is priceless :24:

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

27 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Conservative populism will only go as far as Trump can accomplish anything.  I know it is early still, but there is not much to hang a hat on other than the economy continuing the trends that were there before he got elected.

Think about it, this time next year we will be knee deep in the mid-term elections. What will the GOP have to show for their time in charge?  

Healthcare might have a new name but will anything be better?

I do not think we will have a wall.

Will tax reform happen and will it happen in way that helps anyone but the super rich?

Every day that Trump spends tweeting about Comey or such things is one less day to get things done.

Now, for me who wants split power in DC, that is a good thing.  

I pretty seriously disagree with this. I view it as being in its infancy more so than anything else. Political movements are simply not made or broken on the backs of one man. Trump became what he is because he said a whole lot of things that people were already thinking, quite obviously. Being able to successfully do that really is the bedrock of being a successful politician in any country with free elections. For how long did we have conservative politics versus liberal politics? Those were the battle lines. Now, we have elements of conservatism versus elements of liberalism, but conservatism versus liberalism isn't really where the politics themselves are. In the past 20-30 years, particularly in the past 15, though, liberalism, politically, has evolved directly into identity politics. So, through the political changes of the last decade and up until about early 2016 in this decade, what we really had was conservative politics versus left leaning identity politics with a liberal platform, as opposed to just mostly liberal politics.

Conservative has actually held its own fairly well in local and statewide elections, but due to the makeup of our government and the distribution of house and senate seats, republicans are equivocal or have a slight advantage there. However, in presidential politics, the trend demographically was clearly towards the democrats and it was widely considered that the republicans had one singular route, at the very most two, to the presidency in both 2008 and 2012, with one, at most, in 2016, and that meant being perfect in all the right places. The democrats, as a result, thought that going forward it was going to be virtually impossible for them to lose an election to the presidency. They were probably correct in that assumption, had the template continued to be conservative politics versus identity politics. However, it did not. It is now conservative leaning populist politics versus liberal left leaning identity politics. The democrats happened to be running a lacking candidate in precisely the wrong moment in history. I don't think that right wing populism, at all, ends with trump. Trump is basically the rough draft of it, from my point of view. Politically speaking, in the right hands, it could be incredibly potent.

Also, we need to remember that a democratic populist (though one who also practices identity politics) almost took the nomination from the most entrenched non-incumbent candidate in that party of the past at least century. This seems to me a lot more like it is a direction the country as a whole is trending, more so than something trump drummed up. 

Guest Butero
15 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

Conservative populism will only go as far as Trump can accomplish anything.  I know it is early still, but there is not much to hang a hat on other than the economy continuing the trends that were there before he got elected.

Think about it, this time next year we will be knee deep in the mid-term elections. What will the GOP have to show for their time in charge?  

Healthcare might have a new name but will anything be better?

I do not think we will have a wall.

Will tax reform happen and will it happen in way that helps anyone but the super rich?

Every day that Trump spends tweeting about Comey or such things is one less day to get things done.

Now, for me who wants split power in DC, that is a good thing.  

None of that stuff matters.  That is what you don't get.  Those of us who are loyal Republicans are relieved Trump isn't a closet liberal, so we will be more enthusiastic about re-electing him.  The base will remain in tact.  Nobody trusts the media anymore.  We see through the slant, so they have little influence.  We hate Obamacare, so yes, anything will be better, or at least, no worse.  People won't blame Trump for the wall not getting built, but obstruction from Democrats.  They will just see him trying to get it done.  No matter what kind of tax reform is passed, conservatives will tout it as great for the middle class and liberals will say it is tax breaks for the rich.  Nobody will care because we will get spin from both sides.  It is the same old same old.  The base sees the Comey issue as partisan politics, and we blame the Democrats for stirring it up. 

I don't think we will have split power.  I think the GOP will increase their numbers in the House and Senate.  I know I will be voting Republican in my district.  I don't want split power.  I want Democrats extinct.  I want them to go the way of the dinosaur.  I want them to be a bad memory in the mind of most Americans. 

What will actually happen is anyone's guess, and I take nothing for granted.  I don't listen to the media.  I don't trust polls.  I just show up and vote Republican, and I urge everyone I know to do the same thing.  I am happy to say I helped bring new GOP voters out in the last election in Pennsylvania and Michigan, and I know of new voters that showed up in my home state of North Carolina to vote for Trump.  I was able to convince people that Hillary didn't have a lock on things like the media claimed, and they should ignore them and just show up and vote straight Republican.  That is what we in the GOP need to do.  Ignore the media and the polls.  If they say we have no chance of winning, ignore them and vote anyway as though the race is a dead heat.  Look what happened in November.   I never get tired of re-living the election night on YouTube, and watching the air come out of Democrats and liberals in the media as Trump winds up winning.   It comes down to one thing, who shows up and votes, period. 

5 hours ago, Running Gator said:

And you are ignoring history.  everything you are saying about the Dems was said about the Repubs 8 years ago when the Dems swept the house and the senate and the white house.   And all those things were said about the Dems in the mid 2000s when the Repubs had all the seats of power.  

As long as I have been alive and paying attention to politics, when a guy named Jimmy Carter was in the white house, people have been predicting the demise of the other party.   And none of them have come true, you might as well be telling me what day the world is going to end.

Hey gator,

I agree with the history aspect of this, but one key factor in the history that you are overlooking is the outright alienation that Hillary caused with her "basket of deplorables" comment.  This was a much larger deal than it appears on the surface, even people who were opposed to Trump have someone in their lives that they care about who was called deplorable.  That kind of damage doesn't simply go away in a few months, or probably even years.  The best move the DNC could make right now is to distance themselves from Hillary and apologize to all the people that she offended.  This won't happen as long as they remain so out of touch and in denial about why they lost in the first place.  Unless I missed it in the past, none of these other situations had a candidate for President making such absurd statements about half the citizens in this country.

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.73
  • Days Won:  25

7 minutes ago, Butero said:

None of that stuff matters.  That is what you don't get.  Those of us who are loyal Republicans are relieved Trump isn't a closet liberal, so we will be more enthusiastic about re-electing him.  The base will remain in tact.  Nobody trusts the media anymore.  We see through the slant, so they have little influence.  We hate Obamacare, so yes, anything will be better, or at least, no worse.  People won't blame Trump for the wall not getting built, but obstruction from Democrats.  They will just see him trying to get it done.  No matter what kind of tax reform is passed, conservatives will tout it as great for the middle class and liberals will say it is tax breaks for the rich.  Nobody will care because we will get spin from both sides.  It is the same old same old.  The base sees the Comey issue as partisan politics, and we blame the Democrats for stirring it up. 

I don't think we will have split power.  I think the GOP will increase their numbers in the House and Senate.  I know I will be voting Republican in my district.  I don't want split power.  I want Democrats extinct.  I want them to go the way of the dinosaur.  I want them to be a bad memory in the mind of most Americans. 

What will actually happen is anyone's guess, and I take nothing for granted.  I don't listen to the media.  I don't trust polls.  I just show up and vote Republican, and I urge everyone I know to do the same thing.  I am happy to say I helped bring new GOP voters out in the last election in Pennsylvania and Michigan, and I know of new voters that showed up in my home state of North Carolina to vote for Trump.  I was able to convince people that Hillary didn't have a lock on things like the media claimed, and they should ignore them and just show up and vote straight Republican.  That is what we in the GOP need to do.  Ignore the media and the polls.  If they say we have no chance of winning, ignore them and vote anyway as though the race is a dead heat.  Look what happened in November.   I never get tired of re-living the election night on YouTube, and watching the air come out of Democrats and liberals in the media as Trump winds up winning.   It comes down to one thing, who shows up and votes, period. 

The base is really unimportant, the base didn't win this election.  People that had voted Dem for years voting for Trump won the election.  

I think those people need results or they will be less inclined to vote that way again. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

13 hours ago, wingnut- said:

57 million dollars spent on one election, absolutely ridiculous, no wonder we are so far in debt as a nation. :huh:

That was all private donations though.  But it's STILL a colossal waste.  Especially for the Dems who got absolutely nothing for their money.

4 minutes ago, MorningGlory said:

That was all private donations though.  But it's STILL a colossal waste.  Especially for the Dems who got absolutely nothing for their money.

Yeah, I know it was all private funds, I didn't mean to sound like I was implying this was tax dollars being spent or anything.  It just shows to me a real disconnect for the things that actually matter.  Consider that now in the education system we have parents providing materials the schools once provided with our tax dollars, or in many cases the teachers themselves in inner cities actually providing materials out of their own pockets.  The fine arts programs are now dependent on outside money, like for example with concert band, becoming a "pay to play" requirement.  These are just a few examples of how money like this could be better spent in my opinion, and those examples are just in regards to education.  Politicians are supposed to be leaders, and yet politics is the most wasteful area within our nation, so that is what I meant by that.

God bless

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

4 minutes ago, wingnut- said:

Yeah, I know it was all private funds, I didn't mean to sound like I was implying this was tax dollars being spent or anything.  It just shows to me a real disconnect for the things that actually matter.  Consider that now in the education system we have parents providing materials the schools once provided with our tax dollars, or in many cases the teachers themselves in inner cities actually providing materials out of their own pockets.  The fine arts programs are now dependent on outside money, like for example with concert band, becoming a "pay to play" requirement.  These are just a few examples of how money like this could be better spent in my opinion, and those examples are just in regards to education.  Politicians are supposed to be leaders, and yet politics is the most wasteful area within our nation, so that is what I meant by that.

God bless

No argument here.  I've figured out that, unless one has deep pockets or big donors, they can't even run for office.  So we don't get the best; we get the best funded.

Guest Butero
4 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

The base is really unimportant, the base didn't win this election.  People that had voted Dem for years voting for Trump won the election.  

I think those people need results or they will be less inclined to vote that way again. 

The base is very important.  Part of the strategy by liberals was to convince the GOP base that Trump was a closet liberal, and turn them to Gary Johnson.  I can't tell you how many people I worked to turn away from Johnson to Trump before the election.  We in the GOP had to work hard to keep the base in tact.  Then we did one more important thing.  We got others to ignore the polls and the media and show up.  We also got new voters to turn out that normally never vote.  I have relatives that never voted that turned out for Trump.  I had a lady in Michigan that hadn't voted in a long time and didn't know where she had to go to vote showed up at my urging.  I will never forget how proud she was to show me her "I Voted" sticker after she voted for Trump.  There was a lady in Pennsylvania that wasn't going to vote because the media said Hillary had it in the bag, and I had to talk her into voting.  The base matters and we have new voters.  These people I speak of didn't show up because they demand results, but they opposed the Democrats positions on the issues of immigration and they didn't approve of the environmental laws putting coal miners and other American workers out of business.  They aren't nearly as engaged as people like we are, so they will still vote for Trump over a Democrat.  I feel we are in a very good position to increase our hold on the government. 

Among my friends, they are all feeling that Trump is being treated unfairly by the media, and they don't believe anything they hear.  I have spent time showing them how the media spins things, and giving them real examples of editing, focusing only on negative things from Republicans, explaining base line budgeting and how Democrats call smaller increases cuts, and how Democrats will call across the board tax cuts breaks for the rich.  My side has been effective in exposing the media and the left, and that has made a huge difference.  Now that they have been exposed, nobody trust the spin anymore. 

You have been using spin, like promoting the old lie that Republicans are about only helping the rich.  We understand that all that means is that liberals want to soak the rich with progressive tax rates, and if we want to lower the highest rate, that is made out as tax breaks for the rich.  In reality, it is unfair they are taxed at a higher rate in the first place.  We know what the spin means.  Talk radio has done a great job exposing them, and those of us at the grass roots have been passing the information on to our family and friends, but Trump did something too.  He had the guts to call out the media and the "fake news."  Once that happened, people were forced to start examining them.  That can't be undone.  Those in very liberal pockets will continue to support Democrats, but those of us in the rest of the country never supported their agenda.  They used trickery to get votes.  Even that guy in Georgia 6 ran ads that made him appear as moderate, when he was clearly a liberal.  He ran ads on fiscal responsibility, rather than on things he knew wouldn't go over.  That is the only reason it was as close as it was, but not enough people believed him.  We are positioned very good.