IGNORED

Karen Handel defeats Democratic opponent in the hotly contested Georgia special election

MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

1 hour ago, wingnut- said:

That makes no sense at all, what I posted and said was the best thing Trump did is in regards to the Executive Order from May 4th....

The "relaxation" of the so-called Johnson Amendment? Why didn't you just say so?

"Trump promised during the campaign to dismantle the Johnson Amendment, which bans tax-exempt organizations like churches from political speech and activities. His executive order relaxes IRS enforcement of that ban. While the executive order signals a promise kept, fully repealing the Johnson amendment would require Congressional action...."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-signs-religious-liberty-executive-order-allowing-broad-exemptions-n754786

However, the amendment is still in effect until Congress repeals it via legislation as an EO can't undo law.

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

2 minutes ago, OldSchool2 said:

The "relaxation" of the so-called Johnson Amendment? Why didn't you just say so?

I did say so, that was what I posted. :laugh:

16 minutes ago, wingnut- said:

I did say so....

But not in English and I'm not a lawyer, i.e., "the disallowance of tax deductions for contributions made to entities exempted from taxation under section 501(c)(3) of title 26" refers to the Johnson Amendment, which curtails political speech from the pulpit by the loss of tax exempt status.

But the EO actually can't repeal any amendment; only Congress can.

2 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

It'd sure be nice to read a post from you that was substantive, meaningful and important....

You'll have to settle for one out of three.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

2 hours ago, wingnut- said:

That makes no sense at all, what I posted and said was the best thing Trump did is in regards to the Executive Order from May 4th.  It has nothing to do with cabinet nominees or appointments.  Harry Reid has nothing to do with an executive order that allows ministers to preach the truth from the pulpit without backlash from the government.

It does on De Nial River.  :P

16 hours ago, wingnut- said:

That makes no sense at all, what I posted and said was the best thing Trump did is in regards to the Executive Order from May 4th...

If I understand correctly, what Trump actually did by signing this EO in May was to "relax" the enforcement of the Johnson Amendment -- something like Obama telling ICE not to arrest "Dreamers" even if they are here illegally.

But what Trump didn't -- and couldn't -- do is to undo legislation as only Congress can repeal a law, which in this case is an amendment to the tax code. Therefore, the Johnson Amendment will still declare political campaigning for or against a candidate from the pulpit illegal until the Congress that created it in 1954 legislates it away.

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/03/513187940/the-johnson-amendment-in-five-questions-and-answers

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

5 hours ago, OldSchool2 said:

If I understand correctly, what Trump actually did by signing this EO in May was to "relax" the enforcement of the Johnson Amendment -- something like Obama telling ICE not to arrest "Dreamers" even if they are here illegally.

But what Trump didn't -- and couldn't -- do is to undo legislation as only Congress can repeal a law, which in this case is an amendment to the tax code. Therefore, the Johnson Amendment will still declare political campaigning for or against a candidate from the pulpit illegal until the Congress that created it in 1954 legislates it away.

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/03/513187940/the-johnson-amendment-in-five-questions-and-answers

That is my understanding as well, that this executive order relaxes the Johnson Amendment, which in turn gives anyone the IRS comes after grounds to appeal any action taken against them.  The SCOTUS could potentially hear such a case and overturn the Johnson Amendment as unconstitutional on that basis, so it could possibly bring us to an official conclusion on the matter which bypasses the need for Congress to pass new legislation.  Considering that the Johnson Amendment was in fact unconstitutional to begin with, it needs to be removed.

The bottom line on this is, that it was a positive thing for the people, and as Christians I would think we can all agree on that.  Trump didn't have to do this, but he did, and hence why in my opinion it is the best thing he has done to date.  Campaigning from the pulpit is still illegal, as specifically stated in the executive order, but preaching biblical truths are what has been addressed.  In other words, issues that politicians use such as the homosexual agenda are not off limits to be preached against.

God bless