Legal Separation

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

What does the bible have to say about legal separation? 

Mark 10:9What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

The Bible contains many "tough precepts" to live by sometimes...

However, in a situation where a married couple is experiencing relationship difficulties, I wouldn't have an issue with some "time off" or a vacation from each other for a period of time. A cooling off period, if you will.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

12 hours ago, Gentle Fawn said:

Speaking from personal experience, I would advise against it.  The only way to resolve marital issues is to deal with them, together.  Separation typically leads in the opposite direction, marriage counseling would be a much better path to take.

God bless

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

22 hours ago, Gentle Fawn said:

Hey GF,

You know.....life is a learning process, and marriage is no different.

We get better and more successful at life, the exact same way we get better at marriage......= working at it.......practice, practice, practice.

Love, passion, desire, need, hope, ....many things lead us to the Marriage Alter, but its sustained effort and determination and forgiveness,  that makes the marriage work.

And you know....there are no perfect marriages, as there are no perfect people....but a marriage can be very happy and very solid and  very successful and fulfilling.

Here for you, is a video link to  someone whose ministry is devoted to helping (the married)  find their best way to a  happier and healthier, marriage.

There are many videos connected to this link....... So, Check out on Youtube what seems to speak to your particular marriage issues, if possible.

blessings,

B

Edited by George:  Video was placed in the Video Section of Worthy.  This is the link to the video in this message.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

The only time our pastor advises that a time of separation is advisable is when the wife or children are being abused, in hopes that he will agree to biblical counseling.   Legal separation is usually the same as divorce, and is a last resort.  The best solution is godly forgiveness and love, and lots of prayer.  Love believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  After hubby was saved he started leading us in prayer, and this has welded us together like nothing else could.  When we draw close to God we also draw close to each other.  

Blessings and praying,

Willa

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

On 6/20/2017 at 11:18 PM, Gentle Fawn said:

It all depends on why you want the legal separation.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Gentle Fawn

Teachings about Divorce
Mark 10:3“What did Moses command you?” He replied. 4They answered, “Moses permitted a man to write his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away.” 5But Jesus told them, “Moses wrote this commandment for you because your hearts were hard.…

The reasons for "legal seperation" ,usually as a prelude to Divorce,are to get legalities in order that the husband or wives rights &/or entitlements are set in order & protected by the Courts ...Husbands & wives want child visitations,one spouse or the other wants child support ,food stamps,to remain in the marital home & have the other spouse be made to leave etc,,,etc,,,.....I've never heard of anyone wanting a legal separation that has not been advised by an attorney to do so   What other purpose would it serve? So I do believe the Word of God does not say "legal separation" because the Marriage is a Covenant between man & woman WITH God,not the Courts,the City &/or the State     But "Divorce" was addressed (above)

I do agree with wingnut

The only way to resolve marital issues is to deal with them, together.  Separation typically leads in the opposite direction, marriage counseling would be a much better path to take.

God made a provision within the Law,an allowance for mans short comings.....that is not the Will of God that the "one flesh" should ever be separated

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

Legal Separation is relatively new and did not exist in Biblical times. Unlike divorce, Legal Separation doesn't nullify (eradicate, dissolve, destroy) the marriage vows, you are still legally married. Legal Separation simply splits the revenues/money 50/50 or 40/70, and all possessions and properties become divided between the two spouses. It's divorce in the economic and material realm, but not spiritually or vow-wise. Jesus Himself said this about vows, "But I say, do not make any vows! Do not say, ‘By heaven!’ because heaven is God’s throne. 35 And do not say, ‘By the earth!’ because the earth is his footstool. And do not say, ‘By Jerusalem!’ for Jerusalem is the city of the great King. 36 Do not even say, ‘By my head!’ for you can’t turn one hair white or black. 37 Just say a simple, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘No, I won’t.’ Anything beyond this is from the evil one." (Matthew 5:34-37). So the vow problem in the marriage ceremony actually is something Jesus said not to do, and why newer wedding vows don't have these heavy promises, but simply have "yes, I will," to go along with Christ's own words. 

When Jesus talks about divorce in Matthew 19, he actually is talking to men (not women) about the hardness of their hearts. Jesus is not saying stay with a verbal, physical, and sexual abuser. In fact, if you look carefully at how husband and wife are to be, Paul says "wives submit to your husbands," (Ephesians 5:22) but tells men something heavier, "Husband love your wives as Christ loved the church, laying down His life for her." (Ephensains 5:25). This means a husband must cherish his wife and die to anything that harms the relationship, nailing it to the cross. If your husband isn't laying down His life for you, then you aren't obligated to submit. The idea of submission has so been taken out of context, because what woman would struggle submitting to a husband who is laying down anything that harms his wife and the relationship, and is willing to die for her? 

4 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

When Jesus talks about divorce in Matthew 19, he actually is talking to men (not women) about the hardness of their hearts. Jesus is not saying stay with a verbal, physical, and sexual abuser. In fact, if you look carefully at how husband and wife are to be, Paul says "wives submit to your husbands," (Ephesians 5:22) but tells men something heavier, "Husband love your wives as Christ loved the church, laying down His life for her." (Ephensains 5:25). This means a husband must cherish his wife and die to anything that harms the relationship, nailing it to the cross. If your husband isn't laying down His life for you, then you aren't obligated to submit. The idea of submission has so been taken out of context, because what woman would struggle submitting to a husband who is laying down anything that harms his wife and the relationship, and is willing to die for her?  

I totally agree with this.

We have been married for 43yrs. He is very abusive mentally and speaks harshly to me all of the time, and he talks to me like I am stupid, mentally challenged, senile. I have done all that I know to do to help  us, but he has resisted everything that I tried.  I have had extensive counseling for myself, bought several books on marriage ( he refused them all and he rejects counseling also).  He is contrary, disobedient to God and His word, and he will not listen to anyone!!!

You cannot force a horse to drink!

As for me I am too sick (literally) to put up with his constant taunting.  I am living with the enemy!

4 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

I sure do love my Heavenly Father!  He so gets me, understands me and how that I just need simple answers to complicated questions.  Hum, I can almost hear Him chuckling in the back ground LOL!  Awe, He came through for me again and I just have to share it with all.

Recently and even lately, when I read the bible, especially Romans ch. 1, which I have reread repeatedly, the word Covenant Breakers, has jumped out at me several times ( when that happens then I KNOW that God is speaking to me, and if I am truly listening there is an either an answer to a puzzling question or an instruction that He has for me).

So His answer to me about a legal separation or any kind of separation for that matter, is out of the question, oh I could continue down my own path but I will become a Covenant Breaker!   So since I do not want to be a Covenant Breaker, and end up on the list in Romans 1: 31!  I want my name to be in the Lambs Book of Life and to be able to See Him in all of His Eternal Glory!  That is my goal and my destiny, I will obey my Heavenly Father.

I put everything into His hands, thank you for helping me get here, but being honest with me.