• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

<snip>

"While dissenting opinions are important because they often open our eyes to viewpoints that we maybe never considered, the spirit in which they are given is just as important. Comments that are arrogantly dismissive, snarky, nasty or just plain rude reveal far more about the person writing them than they help whatever cause that person is trying to champion. Often these comment threads turn into backyard theology brawls and completely ignore Paul's reminder not to judge or despise our brother, and that we are ultimately only responsible and answerable to God for ourselves (Rom 14:10-12).

But I'm not as interested in dealing with the symptom (people being horrible on social media) as I am with the root, which is ultimately many Christians' feeling that policing other people is not only their right, but their God-given duty. When Paul tells the Corinthians that it is not our place to judge those outside the church, but rather those within (1 Cor. 5:12), I'm not sure he had Facebook or YouTube in mind. When these words were written, there was a natural understanding that any "judgment" of fellow believers was going to happen in the context of relationship. What has happened today is instead a kind of free-for-all of opinions shouted at the top of our lungs that is completely outside of relationship."

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/behind-the-lens/65730-the-ugly-underbelly-of-christian-opinion

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

Anyone guilty or feels so.  In today's world where information and opinions are dime a dozen and which the internet spews out globally, one is likely to find groups or individuals to confirm or agree with their beliefs .   It can be overwhelming to the point that in their opinion it is absolute truth and would fight tooth and nail to support and defend it.  Conceding to others is defeat and no one likes that really, and it takes the believer who truly wants to follow and pursue truth to come to terms with the facts or possibilities and say so.    We have to keep embedded in the back of our minds when we converse, it is to embrace truth and even when we see error, point them out with humility.    Absolutely, we have to study more of Paul's admonition as the OP has pointed out and put them into practice.  

Guest Teditis

I agree with the notion that many Christians (especially on forums) think that it's an imperative to police

other Christians. When asked they'll say something like Paul and Jesus rebuked others... Like they're at that

level of Christian maturity! Ha.

Most are actually too immature spiritually and rather inept socially to raise a legitimate argument about anything.

"You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye".

People should truly take this Scripture to heart and allow it to be a significant rule-of-thumb for them to live by in all matters

pertaining to something that they disagree about... they should really be staying out of things and remain quiet whenever their

thoughts lean towards wanting to correct an error in someone else or to defend the Scriptures.

Love is supposed to be the Way of a Christian... we should set examples to the world over for how generous and understanding

Christians can be in conversations.. but unfortunately, it seems that Christians are seen as just the opposite... why is that?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

Holier than thou attitude.. that's why...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

"the spirit in which they are given is just as important"

"Out of the belly comes..........."  I come and look on this forum with anticipation, hoping to find a nugget of wisdom, or contribute same. I'm mostly am starting out in the spirit. Along the way, I might be seeing  comments by the police that appeal to my flesh. Sometimes it's hard not to reply in like fashion. If I see what I consider an error in scripture by someone, I try to show my personal understanding and do it in whatever "spirit" I happen to be in. Or often, I'll ignore the thread, as I get tired/frustrated with all the back and forth bantering. That's why I will sometimes leave the keyboard, go out to the shop and do some physical work and cool off, think,  as the spirit reminds me that though I may be right in my own mind, I'm only falling into a trap laid by the unseen enemy. But if I KNOW there is an obvious untruth being stated, I would be negligent to my Lord to not state the truth. Scripturaly. As unto the Lord. In the spirit of my savior.  I just gotta stop, and think. Quick to listen, slow to speak.  (hopefully)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

First, Christians need to read the Bible. Second, they need to obey what it says. Such as don't judge, treat others as you want to be treated, etc. If we do this the problem will solve itself.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Gary Lee said:

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

"the spirit in which they are given is just as important"

"Out of the belly comes..........."  I come and look on this forum with anticipation, hoping to find a nugget of wisdom, or contribute same. I'm mostly am starting out in the spirit. Along the way, I might be seeing  comments by the police that appeal to my flesh. Sometimes it's hard not to reply in like fashion. If I see what I consider an error in scripture by someone, I try to show my personal understanding and do it in whatever "spirit" I happen to be in. Or often, I'll ignore the thread, as I get tired/frustrated with all the back and forth bantering. That's why I will sometimes leave the keyboard, go out to the shop and do some physical work and cool off, think,  as the spirit reminds me that though I may be right in my own mind, I'm only falling into a trap laid by the unseen enemy. But if I KNOW there is an obvious untruth being stated, I would be negligent to my Lord to not state the truth. Scripturaly. As unto the Lord. In the spirit of my savior.  I just gotta stop, and think. Quick to listen, slow to speak.  (hopefully)

Amen. Very true. I see myself in everything you wrote.

There's been many times when I will quickly type a response to a poster whom I believe is wrong. Feels good to be adding my own 2-cents. Then just before I send it, the Holy Spirit nudges me and I start making some deletions. Or even deleting the entire post. Feels even better not to say anything sometimes.

Timely post! Thank you for bringing this to brothers and sisters attention for reflection, myself included [mainly]!  I wont point a finger but I will reflect upon my own heart. When we look at others sins;we lose focus of our own wickedness. 

Pride is the root of discord.

Humility is, I think, the hardest characteristic to attain. I mean true humility where it comes naturally MOST of the time.  Are we brave enough to go before the LORD and ask him to remove our pride?   It has to be done . I think everyone has a measure of it whether we think we do or not. The Lord will take measures to remove it and we will not like it!  Hence the reason I asked if we are brave enough. Get ready to be chopped down to size by our Father who chastens those who are his. If a person says they have no pride;they do! 

I hate my pride. I hate my sin. I hate everything about me that isnt Christlike. 

Father,

So,its a new day. I gird my loins with the word of God and ask Christ to lead the way . Cleanse me from my trespasses. Forgive me Lord for those moments I should have walked away. Forgive me for the times  I acted out of haste. Forgive me for not glorifying your Holiness. 

Make my day pleasing to you Lord. Teach me to love as you love Jesus. Show me the way. Amen

Psalm 139:23-24

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Blessings

Luke 9:23-25

Luke 9:23-25

23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

24 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

25 For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

1 hour ago, Blueyedjewel said:

Timely post! Thank you for bringing this to brothers and sisters attention for reflection, myself included [mainly]!  I wont point a finger but I will reflect upon my own heart. When we look at others sins;we lose focus of our own wickedness. 

Pride is the root of discord.

Humility is, I think, the hardest characteristic to attain. I mean true humility where it comes naturally MOST of the time.  Are we brave enough to go before the LORD and ask him to remove our pride?   It has to be done . I think everyone has a measure of it whether we think we do or not. The Lord will take measures to remove it and we will not like it!  Hence the reason I asked if we are brave enough. Get ready to be chopped down to size by our Father who chastens those who are his. If a person says they have no pride;they do! 

I hate my pride. I hate my sin. I hate everything about me that isnt Christlike. 

Father,

So,its a new day. I gird my loins with the word of God and ask Christ to lead the way . Cleanse me from my trespasses. Forgive me Lord for those moments I should have walked away. Forgive me for the times  I acted out of haste. Forgive me for not glorifying your Holiness. 

Make my day pleasing to you Lord. Teach me to love as you love Jesus. Show me the way. Amen

Psalm 139:23-24

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Blessings

"Humility is, I think, the hardest characteristic to attain".

Agreed. I always say     "My abilities are only surpassed by my humility".....................:laugh:  :mellow::unsure:

Cool post, Blueyedjewel.   I agree, humility seems to be a forgotten character of a believer.  ( Or at least I'm always forgetting)