• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,056
  • Content Per Day:  15.13
  • Days Won:  0

Source: Chicago Tribune

What to do with a broken Illinois: Dissolve the Land of Lincoln

See the article hyperlinked above.  Is this the answer?

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

It is a answer, and maybe the best one.  As a resident of this great state, let me tell you, things are worse than this article makes them out to be.   One of the local state parks closed a while back because the state could not pay a $250 electric bill.  It only reopened due to private donations to keep it going.  Our local community just passed a new school funding bill due to the state taking so much of our money and not giving much back.   My daughter left the state to get away from the broke(n) university and we paid out of state tuition for a time to get out of this mess. 

We are still here because my son is in high school and I do not want to move him during high school.  The community I live in is better off than most, but then again the vast majority of us work in Missouri.  We will be looking to leave the state when my son is done with school.

This plan will never happen, but I am not so sure it shouldn't. 

• Group:  Royal Member

8 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

It is a answer, and maybe the best one.  As a resident of this great state, let me tell you, things are worse than this article makes them out to be.   One of the local state parks closed a while back because the state could not pay a $250 electric bill.  It only reopened due to private donations to keep it going.  Our local community just passed a new school funding bill due to the state taking so much of our money and not giving much back.   My daughter left the state to get away from the broke(n) university and we paid out of state tuition for a time to get out of this mess. 

We are still here because my son is in high school and I do not want to move him during high school.  The community I live in is better off than most, but then again the vast majority of us work in Missouri.  We will be looking to leave the state when my son is done with school.

This plan will never happen, but I am not so sure it shouldn't. 

As a former resident of Illinois, I understand your frustration.  As a former resident of Missouri and current resident of Indiana, let me just say that either state would welcome you. 

4 minutes ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

As a former resident of Illinois, I understand your frustration.  As a former resident of Missouri and current resident of Indiana, let me just say that either state would welcome you. 

And the crazy part is that where I live they are putting up new sub-divisions with half million dollar houses.  I do not know who they think is going to buy them.  They are trying to entice people from across the river, but why would anyone move here now?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Why would neighboring states want any part of illinois and its debt? Because each state that takes any of its land under that articles opinion plan would also have to take on its debt. I cant even imagine how it would change politics. Would it then make red states blue if they absorb parts of illinois?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00

3 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Why would neighboring states want any part of illinois and its debt? Because each state that takes any of its land under that articles opinion plan would also have to take on its debt. I cant even imagine how it would change politics. Would it then make red states blue if they absorb parts of illinois?

Depends on what part. The more rural you go in any state, the more red it becomes.

1 hour ago, Running Gator said:

And the crazy part is that where I live they are putting up new sub-divisions with half million dollar houses.  I do not know who they think is going to buy them.  They are trying to entice people from across the river, but why would anyone move here now?

I don't know why companies would want to move their headquarters to Chicago either.

13 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

In the last election I think a total of three counties in Illinois went for Hillary, which is one more than went for Obama in prior election.  The problem is that one of those counties contains Chicago which has more people than the rest of the state combined. 

There is a lot of prime farmland in Illinois that would benefit any state that took it.  We are one of the top producers of corn and soybeans and the number 1 producer of pumpkins, but a lot.  

There is a lot to be gained that has not been tainted by Chicago and Springfield

4 minutes ago, Running Gator said:

In the last election I think a total of three counties in Illinois went for Hillary, which is one more than went for Obama in prior election.  The problem is that one of those counties contains Chicago which has more people than the rest of the state combined. 

There is a lot of prime farmland in Illinois that would benefit any state that took it.  We are one of the top producers of corn and soybeans and the number 1 producer of pumpkins, but a lot.  

There is a lot to be gained that has not been tainted by Chicago and Springfield

I agree.  I lived in Jacksonville, IL, for a few years.  Very nice people and plenty of farmland.   Besides Jacksonville, I worked in East St. Louis and Wood River.

Source: Illinois: The North American Venezuela

Illinois Is Venezuela and the Solution Is Cryptocurrency

Why bitcoin suddenly makes sense to ordinary Americans

By Ken Kurson06/27/17

The reason I’m so much fun at parties is that my idea of a good time is to lecture everyone on cryptocurrency. I can pretty much talk bitcoin and blockchain with Hamiltonian ferver all night.

Ever since I began writing about cryptocurrency in general in 2013—I believe this story I wrote for Esquire in fall of that year was the first ever mainstream media mention of Ripple (on whose board I now sit)— I have been making one point to anyone who will endure my “what is cryptocurrency” lecture. People are all wrong about the difference between cryptocurrency and “real money.”

The story continues at the link above.