mshienie

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  60
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Hello! i would like to know how people go to college part time and then deal with that and work. let me know because i haven't been able to balance that. I am still also getting SSi! Please let me know more about your thoughts about what can be done as a college student. Thank you

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

When I went to college years ago I went 6 hours each weekday, so roughly 30 hours a week.  I worked full time as well, so basically I just didn't have a life outside of those two things.  I was either working or going to school and had the weekends to do my socializing in.  Not sure if that helps, but that is how I did it.

God bless

• 6 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Try Dave Ramsey books. He lays out different plans for different financial paths. My favorite quote is," Beans and Rice. Rice and Beans. " Basically if you cant afford it, dont buy it. Rice and beans are cheap and they will keep you alive. So till you are through school and have money to spend, you should be adhering to a very strict spending regime.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

2 hours ago, Lamb2Lion said:

Try Dave Ramsey books. He lays out different plans for different financial paths. My favorite quote is," Beans and Rice. Rice and Beans. " Basically if you cant afford it, dont buy it. Rice and beans are cheap and they will keep you alive. So till you are through school and have money to spend, you should be adhering to a very strict spending regime.

"Don't forget the Ramen noodles and tuna . . . they're cheap too." -- former broke college student.  :laugh:

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 6/22/2017 at 2:36 PM, mshienie said:

Hello! i would like to know how people go to college part time and then deal with that and work. let me know because i haven't been able to balance that. I am still also getting SSi! Please let me know more about your thoughts about what can be done as a college student. Thank you

Hi, 

From the perspective of one that faced all that stuff nearly a half century ago, might I share that perhaps it can't be done. And that  it may not be necessary, or even desirable.

It depends upon your goal, not what others think they should do. Why do you need a degree? If you don't, why are you wasting time in college? If you do, then you may have to go much longer than you wish to  be going in order to get  your degree while working.

I could not make it full time. I obtained a specialty education and then went to community colleges nights three nights a week for years on end. I did learn some basics that I used in business and  law, but what I learned and accomplished  over the years had little or nothing to do with any degree.

My own now middle age adult children each went ( to colleges ) full time at a cost of over a quarter of a million dollars each, and yet they  love things other than what they have degrees in! Live is not fixed, it is not stagnant, it is always in tension and dynamic. Be willing to be enthusiastic to the point of obsession in whatever you choose for yourself after prayer reading the word of God and thinking upon it all. Do not measure yourself against what others may be doing. And first, ask God each and every day what you may be doing for that day to His Glory.

May God bless you and keep you safe in your endeavors.

PS I attended my father's  college graduation. He received his chemical engineering degree at age 35 went on to start four companies be an inventor and prospered. The point is; life goes at the schedule set for each person and not by some arbitrary model. Today's effort put forward in hardship is the stepping stone for tomorrow's adventure, God willing that tomorrow come.