IGNORED

Does anyone else do this?

HisFirst

Guest BacKaran

At my neighbor's funeral, Jackie passed from cancer, they played the Beatles song Here comes the sun to which I was singing Here comes The Son and I prayed for them all that the Lord would show Himself to someone that day.

And I'll find out in heaven, right? Amen!

Guest bonnieschamberger

Yes ..Id said it runs about half and half...if Im in the mood for listening to music half the time its christian music or the spa channel with all those relaxing sounds...and the other half its the sort of easy ..acoustic softer rock stuff...anyway there have been times when I have date night with God He will send me a song and next thing you know we are singing it to each other its really wonderful and I feel Him so strongly in the car with me...a couple of our favorites are Open arms by journey and Come away with me by norah jones...when the norah jones song comes on I have to pull over and cry and let Him hold me..its one of those that when I hear that He knows that I really need Him to hold me and its a long over due crying and releasing that I need to do.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

4 hours ago, bonnieschamberger said:

Yes ..Id said it runs about half and half...if Im in the mood for listening to music half the time its christian music or the spa channel with all those relaxing sounds...and the other half its the sort of easy ..acoustic softer rock stuff...anyway there have been times when I have date night with God He will send me a song and next thing you know we are singing it to each other its really wonderful and I feel Him so strongly in the car with me...a couple of our favorites are Open arms by journey and Come away with me by norah jones...when the norah jones song comes on I have to pull over and cry and let Him hold me..its one of those that when I hear that He knows that I really need Him to hold me and its a long over due crying and releasing that I need to do.

Spa channel? Wow - is that on the radio?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 6/24/2017 at 2:25 AM, Neighbor said:

Sure, I relate most every conscious thought that enters my mind to God and His will for me. I get myself in more trouble when i don't. So yes. On another thread it was asked if we sing  Christian words to  secular tunes, and the answer there is yes too.

There I mentioned "Amazing  Grace". May  I add here that I happen to love the Blind Boys Of Alabama rendition of Amazing Grace sung  to the tune of The House  Of The Rising Sun  ( Can be found on You Tube if interested ). That is powerful music and worship for my soul. It reminds me that  God can and does turn about that  which is evil and use it for good for those that believe on Jesus. Fact I can use a dose of Blind Boys of Alabama right now to lift me.

Thanks for the heads up, Neighbor. I had forgotten all about them. I too am listening to them now.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Yes. I listen to music, that is not exclusively for Christians. Some are very beautiful, and inspiring. Try this one by Selah, a Christian group. It's on their "Press On' album.  "In my life/If we never meet again" The first half is from the Beatles, In my Life, the second half is a southern gospel song, If we never meet again this side of heaven, on utube. Then there's Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen. The best rendition of it, I think is;  "Irish girl singing Hallelujah" also on utube. I usually post that one at Christmas. Original lyrics were secular, by Cohen, then Christian lyrics by permission.

Guest bonnieschamberger
22 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Spa channel? Wow - is that on the radio?

yeah ..well its on xm Sirius radio xm channel 68....when I need to just relax and not think for a while that's the station Ill have on

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

I actually applied a rendition of "You are my Hero" preformed by Bet Medler (from Beaches) over a scene from Passion of Christ. The music synched with song in an incredible way. 

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  242
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4,231
  • Content Per Day:  1.53
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  10/04/1980

yesterday i saw a video of 2 people who redid the pokemon theme song with christian lyrics and it was really bad

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

Several old popular songs started a s spirituals or Christians songs but they changed a few words.  Bridge over Troubled Waters started as a Christian Song, for instance.  I still love it.  

Wiki quotes:  

"Bridge over Troubled Water" was composed by Paul Simon very quickly, so much so that he asked himself, "Where did that come from? It doesn't seem like me." [7]The chorus lyrics were partly inspired by Claude Jeter's line "I'll be your bridge over deep water if you trust in me," which Jeter sang with his group, the Swan Silvertones, in the 1958 song "Mary Don't You Weep."[8] According to gospel producer and historian Anthony Heilbut, Simon later acknowledged his musical debt to Jeter in person, and additionally handed Jeter a check as compensation.[9] Simon wrote the song initially on guitar but decided to transpose it to the piano, to both better reflect the gospel influence and to suit Garfunkel's voice.[3]"Mary Don't You Weep" (alternately titled "O Mary Don't You Weep", "Oh Mary, Don't You Weep, Don't You Mourn", or variations thereof) is a Negro spiritual that originates from before the American Civil War[1] – thus it is what scholars call a "slave song," "a label that describes their origins among the enslaved," and it contains "coded messages of hope and resistance."[2] It is one of the most important of Negro spirituals.[1]

The song tells the Biblical story of Mary of Bethany and her distraught pleas to Jesus to raise her brother Lazarus from the dead.[1] Other narratives relate to The Exodus and the Passage of the Red Sea, with the chorus proclaiming Pharaoh's army got drown-ded!, and to God's rainbow covenant to Noah after the Great Flood.[1] With liberation thus one of its themes, the song again become popular during the Civil Rights Movement.[1] Additionally, a song that explicitly chronicles the victories of the Civil Rights Movement, "If You Miss Me from the Back of the Bus", written by Charles Neblett of The Freedom Singers, was sung to this tune and became one of the most well-known songs of that movement.[3]

In 2015 it was announced that The Swan Silvertones's version of the song will be inducted into the Library of Congress's National Recording Registry for the song's "cultural, artistic and/or historical significance to American society and the nation’s audio legacy".[4]

Recordings[edit]

The first recording of the song was by the Fisk Jubilee Singers in 1915.[1] The best known recordings were made by the vocal gospel group The Caravans in 1958, with Inez Andrews as the lead singer, and The Swan Silvertones in 1959.[1][5] "Mary Don't You Weep" became The Swan Silvertones' greatest hit,

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

On Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 0:20 AM, HisFirst said:

And is it OK?

To direct secular "love songs" to God?

There are some songs that the words (to me) bring God to mind, although in no way are they classed as Christian songs (but they're not foul either). So I sing along to them (in the car) but I'm singing them with God in mind.

Has anyone else done this ?

I'm asking if its "bad" as I've heard that most secular songs are to do with satan as he controls the music industry.

When I found God I received him through all the music I was listening to. I was able to turn every song into a song of how wonderful he is and how happy he makes me or loves me. He can use anything to draw you near.

The Devil uses scripture, what makes you think God can't use whatever he sees fit.

Jill Scott's "He Loves Me" and Alicia Keyes "No one" are songs that make me think of God's Love. 

I even heard him through songs that may be more seductive in the way they were written but God used it to deliver a clear message that had nothing to do with seduction. The particular words fit the message he wanted to deliver.

I.E. 

I had just lost a job promotion due to uncontrollable circumstances not of my fault. I was upset and felt my growth was being hindered. I asked God why would he allow for me to miss this opportunity that I worked so hard for and felt I deserved?

When I jumped in my car, turned it on and the radio played, it was a song of a man professing his love to his partner. 

Yet the lyrics were:

Or do you not think so far ahead (ahead)?
'Cause I've been thinkin' 'bout forever (Oooh, oooh)

For me it reminded me that I am concerned with what I believed I deserved and wanted at that moment, while God's plans are for my future.

I could have gotten that promotion and it may have been the worst case for me. Yet God knows what he has planned for me and I should wait on him. He has my forever already set.

Depends on the music and your relationship with God.