• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

And is it OK?

To direct secular "love songs" to God?

There are some songs that the words (to me) bring God to mind, although in no way are they classed as Christian songs (but they're not foul either). So I sing along to them (in the car) but I'm singing them with God in mind.

Has anyone else done this ?

I'm asking if its "bad" as I've heard that most secular songs are to do with satan as he controls the music industry.

Edited by HisFirst

• Group:  Royal Member

7 minutes ago, Abby-Joy said:

Personally, I don't listen to secular songs.  So I'm not familiar with the love songs.  I have no doubt that your heart is in the right place when you sing to God of your love for Him.  I do the same with Christian songs ...  I love to sing to Him, and I know He loves when we sing to Him from our hearts.  

But... you're right about the secular music industry and their satanic covenants... so maybe it would be a good idea to find other songs from the Christian genre... ?

Is it true Abby the covering one eye and finger/hand signs the celebrities do are satanic?

If so, it goes way back - the Beatles, MJackson when he was a kid.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

A long time ago, Bebe and Cece Winans recorded the song "Love Lift Us Up Where We Belong" - only their version of it was "Lord, Lift Us Up Where We Belong" - and it was a hit among Christians.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

1 hour ago, HisFirst said:

And is it OK?

There are some songs that the words (to me) bring God to mind, although in no way are they classed as Christian songs (but they're not foul either). So I sing along to them (in the car) but I'm singing them with God in mind.

I'm asking if its "bad" as I've heard that most secular songs are to do with satan as he controls the music industry.

Depends on the song's content. If you talking about love songs that anyone can enjoy, sure, is not watching a film and interpreting messages in it the same thing? For instance, if a movie doesn't have a specific Messianic/Christ-like message, but you see it, is that no different if you applied it to music? The problem is if the music contains very specific lyrics that contain expletives and unbelieving statements (granted I don't infer you meant these kind of songs, but I am covering the bases). 

8 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Depends on the song's content. If you talking about love songs that anyone can enjoy, sure, is not watching a film and interpreting messages in it the same thing? For instance, if a movie doesn't have a specific Messianic/Christ-like message, but you see it, is that no different if you applied it to music? The problem is if the music contains very specific lyrics that contain expletives and unbelieving statements (granted I don't infer you meant these kind of songs, but I am covering the bases). 

Definitely no expletives and the like - that's not my taste in music - just some love songs male/female subject matter (not talking sexual however), pretty tame lyrics but some of those songs mainly from the 70's, 80's just make me think of God when they're on the radion - having said all of that, I hardly listen to mainstream secular music - I mainly listen to boring news channels and talk shows discussing politics, current affairs etc :)

40 minutes ago, nebula said:

A long time ago, Bebe and Cece Winans recorded the song "Love Lift Us Up Where We Belong" - only their version of it was "Lord, Lift Us Up Where We Belong" - and it was a hit among Christians.

I've never heard their version of that song and tbh, never heard of those guys!

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

although I don't care to see it done in a Church worship setting.

I'd run a mile if that became the new normal!!!

• Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

8 minutes ago, HisFirst said:

Definitely no expletives and the like - that's not my taste in music - just some love songs male/female subject matter (not talking sexual however), pretty tame lyrics but some of those songs mainly from the 70's, 80's just make me think of God when they're on the radion - having said all of that, I hardly listen to mainstream secular music - I mainly listen to boring news channels and talk shows discussing politics, current affairs etc :)

Indeed, like the Beatles' "All you need is love!" You can see that as Biblical, "Beloved, let us love one another, because love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love." (1 John 4:7-8). For by singing "All you need is love," is to say "All you need is God!" because God is love. :) 

Edited by Fidei Defensor

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

2 hours ago, HisFirst said:

And is it OK?

I Corinthians 10:31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

2 hours ago, HisFirst said:

And is it OK?

Sure, I relate most every conscious thought that enters my mind to God and His will for me. I get myself in more trouble when i don't. So yes. On another thread it was asked if we sing  Christian words to  secular tunes, and the answer there is yes too.

There I mentioned "Amazing  Grace". May  I add here that I happen to love the Blind Boys Of Alabama rendition of Amazing Grace sung  to the tune of The House  Of The Rising Sun  ( Can be found on You Tube if interested ). That is powerful music and worship for my soul. It reminds me that  God can and does turn about that  which is evil and use it for good for those that believe on Jesus. Fact I can use a dose of Blind Boys of Alabama right now to lift me.