IGNORED

Using Copyrighted Material in Blogs and Forums

pla·gia·rize
ˈplājəˌrīz/
verb

1. take (the work or an idea of someone else) and pass it off as one's own.
    synonyms: copy, infringe the copyright of, pirate, steal, poach, appropriate; More

• copy from (someone) and pass it off as one's own.

"Myth No. 3: You Can’t Copyright Words.

Legal Truth: Actually, you can. I once encountered three websites that had stolen, nearly verbatim, a single page of my website. After a brief fight, two of those pages were taken down. The other page never made it to publication because the copywriter who was asked to “polish” my stolen content by his client said, “Hey, I know this writer. You can’t use this.” (Thankfully, he had contacted me and let me know—I’m forever grateful.)

“People may be confused here because they've heard you can’t copyright facts or ideas. This is true. But one’s expression of those facts and ideas is protected," Kousenis says. "When it comes to written expression, copyright infringement is determined by a measure of substantial similarity.” That means if you compare two pages—the copyrighted, original work and the potentially offending work side by side—they need to be substantially different in order to avoid copyright infringement. "https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/openforum/articles/sharing-vs-stealing-5-myths-and-legal-truths-about-online-copyrights/

"Proper respect for intellectual property = good networking. Good networking means learning about other people’s business. For those of us who write professionally, our content is our product. Learning about our business means learning how to properly refer people to us, just as it would for anyone else. The simplest solution is to always use an excerpt and a link, never content in its entirety. That will pretty much always constitute fair use, and will always be appreciated by the content creator.

This is not the first time this has happened to me, as you might imagine. I always approach it as a networker, not a litigant. “Are you aware that this is copyrighted material and may not be re-posted in its entirety, even with proper attribution? I’d be happy for you to use a short excerpt and a link. Please edit it as soon as possible and inform me when you have made the correction.”

http://www.thevirtualhandshake.com/2005/10/26/using-copyrighted-material-in-blogs-and-forums/

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Thanks for the reminder.  We have that covered in the Terms of Service.

No Plagiarism. You must have permission to post copy righted material. When you do have permission, all due attribution is to be posted as well. (Ex. 20:15, Lev 19:11)

Is there a specific reason why you bring this up, something we should know about, or is it just a general discussion?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  907
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

This may help also. :) 

What Is Fair Use?

In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner. In other words, fair use is a defense against a claim of copyright infringement. If your use qualifies as a fair use, then it would not be considered an infringement.

So what is a “transformative” use? If this definition seems ambiguous or vague, be aware that millions of dollars in legal fees have been spent attempting to define what qualifies as a fair use. There are no hard-and-fast rules, only general guidelines and varied court decisions, because the judges and lawmakers who created the fair use exception did not want to limit its definition. Like free speech, they wanted it to have an expansive meaning that could be open to interpretation.

Most fair use analysis falls into two categories: (1) commentary and criticism, or (2) parody......http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.94
  • Days Won:  3

Someone took a poem I wrote and copy it to their message forum. Then they put their name under it as if they wrote it. :blink:  I was both mad and flatter that they thought my poem was worth stealing. 

27 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

Someone took a poem I wrote and copy it to their message forum. Then they put their name under it as if they wrote it. :blink:  I was both mad and flatter that they thought my poem was worth stealing. 

:laugh: That's the best way to get over the upset. Be flattered a plagiarist thought your work worthy to fill the gap in their own imagination. 

Burns doesn't it? Someone stole something I wrote once and I later found it when Google posted results for keywords in something I was looking for. There I was with someone elses name under my work. 

If they'll steal something someone has written, that kind of person isn't to be trusted not to steal something more valuable. 

10 Big Myths about copyright explained

An attempt to answer common myths about copyright seen on the net and cover issues related to copyright and USENET/Internet publication.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

Plagiarism is only if you don't cite the person and use quotes. If you for instance say, "Hell is paved with many good intentions." (St. Bernard Clairvaux) in your blog or writing, it is alright. 

But I want to let people in on a secret, Plargarism is the norm. 

Disney plagiarized and stole THe Lion King from Japanese animator who wrote Zimba The Lion and Pride Rock. 

William Shakespeare stole Hamlet from Norse Legends, stole Romeo and Juliet from the Roman and Arthurian Tristan and Isolde. 

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings was taken from Norse Ring Saga. 

Some of the most celebrated works are actually copies of older works (even if there are varations, the fact is they don't give credit to who came up with story in first place). 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

I want to add, that our policy here, is not limited to what the law has to say. Laws vary from country to country. our terms of service, describe what is the policy on this site, and are subject to change as the need arises. That being said, it is the Christians responsibility to obey laws, so it should not be necessary that we should have to point that out.

Things created in the mind of another, are that person's ideas and belong to them, and we should respect that person's property, as we would physical property.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

25 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Some of the most celebrated works are actually copies of older works (even if there are varations, the fact is they don't give credit to who came up with story in first place). 

It is not only about credit where credit is due. It is much bigger than just that. Sometimes it is not the stories, but the arrangement of letters and words we are protecting.

Every Bible in existence, contains stories and ideas that come from God, and are written down by man. However, when the NASB (for example) prints it's version of the Bible, it is not trying to pass off the ideas as the ideas of the Lockman Foundation. Nevertheless, the NASB is copyrighted.

Why? Because it is not the ideas that it contains, that are the intellectual property that they are protecting. In that case, it is the actual words. In takes a lot of people, a lot of time, a lot of studying, a lot of translating, a lot of collaborating, editing, proofing, correcting, and eventually, a lot of space, equipment, supplies, marketing and transportation to get these Bibles into our hands. It is right, that these costs be borne by those who benefit from all of this work. This means money!

If I come along, and just wholesale make copies of the NASB and distribute them, based on my costs, I am depriving those who did the actual work, the benefits of their labors. Without supporting those who did the real work, we discourage others from engaging in similar activities that benefit all of us.

This is a major reason that copyright laws exist. Not only to protect those who do the work, but to insure that those who are the ultimate recipients, can continue to benefit for generations to come.

Without the capitalist involved in these venture we might never have had the privilege or owning a Bible, we would at the mercy of a few select priestly types and rich people, to let us know what their hand written copies say.

Copyright laws and principles, are good for us! 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

Don't get me wrong, I abhor plagiarism. I have had it done to me in college, where some plagiarized me. My former post was to show how its sadly common place, and how great supposed authors that you are taught to idolize in school, actually plagiarized!