• Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

3 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Don't get me wrong, I abhor plagiarism. I have had it done to me in college, where some plagiarized me. My former post was to show how its sadly common place, and how great supposed authors that you are taught to idolize in school, actually plagiarized! 

and don't get me wrong, I am not being critical of anything you said, just expanding upon it, for the sake of other readers.

1 hour ago, OneLight said:

Thanks for the reminder.  We have that covered in the Terms of Service.

No Plagiarism. You must have permission to post copy righted material. When you do have permission, all due attribution is to be posted as well. (Ex. 20:15, Lev 19:11)

Is there a specific reason why you bring this up, something we should know about, or is it just a general discussion?

General discussion. Its good to know how to properly use other writers material. I wasnt aware that it was in terms of service.

58 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Plagiarism is only if you don't cite the person and use quotes. If you for instance say, "Hell is paved with many good intentions." (St. Bernard Clairvaux) in your blog or writing, it is alright. 

But I want to let people in on a secret, Plargarism is the norm. 

Disney plagiarized and stole THe Lion King from Japanese animator who wrote Zimba The Lion and Pride Rock. 

William Shakespeare stole Hamlet from Norse Legends, stole Romeo and Juliet from the Roman and Arthurian Tristan and Isolde. 

J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings was taken from Norse Ring Saga. 

Some of the most celebrated works are actually copies of older works (even if there are varations, the fact is they don't give credit to who came up with story in first place). 

Right. I try to always give credit to the writer and leave a link to where I found it. I also put quatation marks around quoted material.

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

Someone took a poem I wrote and copy it to their message forum. Then they put their name under it as if they wrote it. :blink:  I was both mad and flatter that they thought my poem was worth stealing. 

Now Im curious about your poem! Perhaps you can share it sometime? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

9 minutes ago, Blueyedjewel said:

Right. I try to always give credit to the writer and leave a link to where I found it. I also put quatation marks around quoted material.

Then don't worry, if you use "" quotations and always try to live citations or links if you can, then you've done everything in your power to not plagiarize. 

@Omegaman 3.0 Totally understood, I thought you were just going into more detail. I appreciate that. Keep it up. :) 

Edited by Fidei Defensor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

14 hours ago, Blueyedjewel said:

Now Im curious about your poem! Perhaps you can share it sometime? 

If I can find it I will p/m you with it.