HisFirst

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/06/25/11/34/families-of-bali-bombing-victims-dont-want-death-penalty-for-mastermind

Josh Deegan was among the 88 Australians killed when suicide bombers targeted a Balinese nightclub crawling with tourists in 2002.

The father of a man killed in the Bali bombings says he does not want the mastermind behind the terror attack to be executed as charges are finally laid over the atrocity.

Brian Deegan's son Joshua was among the 88 Australians killed when extremists detonated two bombs inside and outside a bustling nightclub on Kuta Beach in Jakarta in 2002.

Riduan "Hambali" Isomuddin allegedly helped orchestrate the bombings - which killed a total of 202 people – and was brought up on terror and murder charges on Saturday, 15 years after the horrific attack.

The Guantanamo Bay detainee, who has been held for 11 years without charge, now faces the death penalty.

But Mr Deegan insists executing Hambali –known as South-East Asia’s Osama bin Laden - will not bring his son, or any of the other victims' justice.

I’m totally opposed to it ... it’s just another form of butchery," Mr Deegan told The Sunday Mail.

"It’s been shown on so many occasions not to have any benefit and it will do nothing to alleviate my distress over the loss of my son, nor for that matter any of the other victim’s families.

"It certainly won’t bring back my son."

The father of 15-year-old victim Chloe Byron said he had no idea Hambali had not been held accountable for the attack that claimed his young daughter's life as she celebrated a friend's birthday at the Sari Club.

The Sydney man said he hopes the terror mastermind stays "in jail forever" but questioned if the legal process would dredge up painful memories for the families of victims.

Snip.

Edited by HisFirst

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  907
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, HisFirst said:

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/06/25/11/34/families-of-bali-bombing-victims-dont-want-death-penalty-for-mastermind

Josh Deegan was among the 88 Australians killed when suicide bombers targeted a Balinese nightclub crawling with tourists in 2002.

The father of a man killed in the Bali bombings says he does not want the mastermind behind the terror attack to be executed as charges are finally laid over the atrocity.

Brian Deegan's son Joshua was among the 88 Australians killed when extremists detonated two bombs inside and outside a bustling nightclub on Kuta Beach in Jakarta in 2002.

Riduan "Hambali" Isomuddin allegedly helped orchestrate the bombings - which killed a total of 202 people – and was brought up on terror and murder charges on Saturday, 15 years after the horrific attack.

The Guantanamo Bay detainee, who has been held for 11 years without charge, now faces the death penalty.

But Mr Deegan insists executing Hambali –known as South-East Asia’s Osama bin Laden - will not bring his son, or any of the other victims' justice.

I’m totally opposed to it ... it’s just another form of butchery," Mr Deegan told The Sunday Mail.

"It’s been shown on so many occasions not to have any benefit and it will do nothing to alleviate my distress over the loss of my son, nor for that matter any of the other victim’s families.

"It certainly won’t bring back my son."

The father of 15-year-old victim Chloe Byron said he had no idea Hambali had not been held accountable for the attack that claimed his young daughter's life as she celebrated a friend's birthday at the Sari Club.

The Sydney man said he hopes the terror mastermind stays "in jail forever" but questioned if the legal process would dredge up painful memories for the families of victims.

Snip.

Better he die in prison than be martyred by the death penalty. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

Its a hard call really - the whole process opens up wounds and it  takes the victims families straight back to that awful time and all those emotions rise to the surface fresh and raw once again. Memories are extremely powerful.