IGNORED

Matthew 24: Rapture, Second Coming or Both?

rollinTHUNDER

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,986
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  4

On 6/26/2017 at 6:08 PM, Daniel 11:36 said:

But the Lord will descend from heaven and immortalize both the dead in Christ and those living at the time .... a time not revealed in scripture

Paul directly associates it with a specific event, the last trumpet, the trumpet of God.  What scripture in the OT do you think Paul was referring to?  Where in the OT did God reveal this event to his servants the prophets?  I doubt Paul just made it up.

Yes, the timing is revealed in scripture, relative to other events.  Find the OT references to the trump of God that Paul was referencing and you get a good sense as to when in takes place based on associated events.

• Group:  Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

On 6/25/2017 at 6:54 PM, rollinTHUNDER said:

Note: Matthew 24 text will be in Red, all other scripture will be in Purple

After nearly 2000 years, Christ’s Olivet Discourse still remains a hotly debated subject among biblical scholars, not only because of the controversial rapture and/or second coming issue, but also because many scholars surprisingly contend that it has already been fulfilled. My interpretation differs widely from most Eschatology scholar’s, mainly because the vast majority of them have reached their conclusions without studying the entire text.  To be clear, most scholars do not include Matthew 25, probably because they are either intimidated by Christ’s parables, cannot reconcile them with their beliefs about Matthew 24 or maybe they don’t believe the parables are related.  It seems obvious to me, though, that if a theory must ignore or is incompatible with these parables, then it is likely an incorrect interpretation.  Christ provided these parables so that the wise could better understand this profound mystery, but at the same time, they would also be a stumbling block for the wicked or foolish.

Matthew 13:10-11 – “And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?” 11 He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.”
It is because of these parables that I have gained a better understanding, which has allowed me to go much deeper into this subject.  After years of study, it’s my humble opinion that if a theory or interpretation of Matthew 24 is going to carry any weight, it must be compatible with all of the parables that follow into chapter 25 as well, which is the rest of Christ’s answer to His disciple’s question.  I don’t view this as a competition with other scholars, but I do believe my interpretation is the only one, that I’m aware of, anyway, that fits this criterion.  To my surprise, going deeper in these parables has also led me to the discovery of a brand new rapture theory.  Though, it was never my intention to design or create a new rapture theory.  It just seemed to happen while I was breaking down Christ’s answer to His disciple’s question about the sign of His coming (Matthew 24:3).  In fact, I didn’t even realize I had a new theory until after I had finished proof reading the first copy of my book, which includes a complete breakdown of Matthew 24 and 25, and also includes my interpretation of these parables.
Matthew 13:34-35 – “Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable. 35 So was fulfilled what was spoken through the prophet:
“I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter things hidden since the creation of the world.”
Most scholars agree that the events written in Mathew 24 will be fulfilled sometime in the near future, but, again, an overwhelming majority of them have not included chapter 25 in their study.  The most popular rapture theory teaches that Matthew 24 only relates to the physical second coming of Christ to the earth (pre-tribulation rapture).  The second most popular theory (post-tribulation rapture) teaches that Mathew 24 relates to both, the rapture and the second coming.  And this is where my theory begins to separate from all others, because in my view, Matthew 24 reveals only the rapture, not Christ’s physical second coming to the earth.  It’s not the text that is controversial; but rather, the way that many have interpreted it.  And by simply studying the entire text, one thing I’ve discovered is that verse (31) is key in both chapters.  Matthew 24:31 is the rapture, while Matthew 25:31 is the second coming.  So without any further ado, let’s dive in and breakdown Matthew 24 and I’ll share some other things I’ve discovered as well. 
Matthew 24:1-2 (MEV) – Jesus departed from the temple and was leaving when His disciples came to show Him the temple buildings. Jesus answered them, “Do you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another that shall not be thrown down.”
The passage above is the only portion of Matthew 24 that has already been fulfilled, when the Roman armies sacked Jerusalem about 40 years later, in AD 70.  Notice that Jesus was just leaving the Temple in the passage above.  Then there was probably a long pause, before His disciples’ asked Him the most interesting question.  Notice in the next passage, that they were now sitting on the Mount of Olives.  I suppose that they must have been pondering or imagining the future destruction of the Temple, as they walked their way up the Mount of Olives, which led to their next question, in private or while they were away from the crowd that was leaving the Temple.
Matthew 24:3  “As He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of Your coming and of the end of the age?”
This is a very interesting question, indeed. Though it can’t be proven, I get the sense, that as they asked this question; His disciple’s probably presumed that the destruction of the temple and the sign of his coming and the end of the age would all occur in close proximity to each other or near the same time, and that they would still be alive to see it all.  Nevertheless, we now know that was not the case, as the fulfillments of these events were many centuries apart.  Christ made no further mention of the temple in His answer.  The temple was destroyed in the first century, yet here we are today, still waiting for the sign of His coming and the end of the age to be fulfilled.  Notice below, that Christ devoted His entire lengthy answer to their question, concerning only the sign of His coming and the end of the age, not the temple.
Matthew 24:4-8
“Jesus answered them, “Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. You will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled. For all these things must happen, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines, epidemics, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows.”
As I stated earlier, some scholars actually believe all of these things have already been fulfilled in the first century.  And there are other scholars that believe the first-half of Daniel’s 70th week (Dan. 9:27 – final 7 years) has already been fulfilled as well; which would leave only the abomination of desolation and the great tribulation, the final 3.5 years before Christ returns remaining.  I disagree with both positions above.  I contend that everything in Christ’s answer will be fulfilled in the future, the entire seven years.  That’s 3.5 years (birth pains), plus 3.5 years (great trib.).  His answer relates only to the sign of His coming.  His disciples probably expected to be alive to see the sign of His coming when they asked Him this question, but since He still has not returned since ascending into the clouds, none of these things apply to their generation.  All of these signs apply to the final generation that will witness His coming.
Not only have we had impostors claiming to be Christ, but we have also seen many cults come in His name as well, and they have deceived multitudes of believers.  Today we can really relate to the wars and rumors of wars as they are broadcasted daily on television, but they will only increase.  Famines and diseases were few in the first century but they will become more widespread the closer we get to the time of the end.  Earthquakes were also rare 2000 years ago, but they’ve been steadily increasing.  We can expect them to start popping all over the world like popcorn when His coming nears.  Christ said these things are the beginning of sorrows (birth pains), which is another sign.  All of these things will be increasing in frequency and intensity, just like the labor pains of a pregnant woman.  These signs must be important, because Paul and John left us clues about them as well (like a woman in travail with child), which relate to the nearness of His coming and a future time of pseudo-peace.
1 Thessalonians 5:1-3“But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.”

Revelation 12:1-2“And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars: And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.” 
Continued...

The Lord will come as fire.

Isaiah 66
15: "For behold, the LORD will come in fire, and his chariots like the stormwind, to render his anger in fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire. 
16: For by fire will the LORD execute judgment, and by his sword, upon all flesh; and those slain by the LORD shall be many. 

2 Peter 3

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a loud noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fire, and the earth and the works that are upon it will be burned up.