• Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

4 minutes ago, KiwiChristian said:

To what end?

Jesus first

Others second

Yourself last.

THATS how you spell "JOY"

Although technically, now that we are Saints and Jesus lives in us (Colossians 1:27, 1 Corinthians 3:16) if we take care of ourselves aren't we taking care of Christ? I mean doesn't Jesus say, "The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." (Matthew 25:40) and, "Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own" (1 Corinthians 6:15, 19). For if we (ourselves) are counted among the brothers and sisters, then when someone does good to us, they doing this unto Christ. When Scriptures read, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me," (Matthew 16:24) does that denial mean severity, asceticism, and to put our needs and desires last? I have hard time believing that because Apostle Paul in the Spirit of Christ said, "You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the spiritual powers of this world. So why do you keep on following the rules of the world, such as, 21 “Don’t handle! Don’t taste! Don’t touch!”? 22 Such rules are mere human teachings about things that deteriorate as we use them. 23 These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial, and severe bodily discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person’s evil desires." (Colossians 2:20-23). So what does this deny yourself truly mean when you compare Jesus and Peter's words? The best I can find on it is this commentary, "denial,” i.e., the denial to ourselves of some pleasure or profit, fall far short of the meaning of the Greek. The man is to deny his whole self, all his natural motives and impulses, so far as they come into conflict with the claims of Christ." This I think is the point, when a desire, passion, or desire comes in conflict with Christ, this cross references with, "We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5). 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Should we be constantly seeking to make ourselves happy?

4 hours ago, HisFirst said:

......but happiness means different things to different people....

Today's motto

images (21).jpg

Indeed, happiness means different things to different individual. What makes one happy do not necessarily makes others happy as well. It is nothing wrong to pursue things that make us happy, however, in striving for personal happiness, we must be careful to not overdo them or to only think of our happiness while forgetting others, especially in keeping ourselves in line with God's will or the scriptures. Having said this, the phrase "constantly seeking to make ourselves happy" over here could also mean we could be seeking out selfish ways of anything that guarantees our happiness (echoing the accompanying motto in the image you have uploaded). Of course again, it depends what is it that makes us happy. Another thing is, happiness is a temporal feeling that fades away overtime. Once we are bored of something that once keeps us happy, we would then be looking out for other means to fill our happiness just to see it fading away again. We would then be chasing the wind hoping for everlasting happiness that the world could temporarily offer or satisfy. Again, it is nothing wrong to seek for happiness but while we are at it, we also need to be content with what we have as not to keep seeking for more and more, just to loose it all in the end. Nothing is guaranteed. We should not place too much emphasis or faith on temporal happiness for the source of eternal happiness can only be found when we pursue God and do His will; all the while enjoying the temporal worldly blessings He has given us that makes us happy :)

Psalm 37:4New International Version (NIV)

Take delight in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Guest Thallasa
6 hours ago, warrior12 said:

It is a natural thing for one to be happy and to structure his life to ensure that.   But the Bible plainly says, that those who would live Godly, would be persecuted.  The devil would send forth his fiery darts and there would be battles that would spoil your so called plans to be happy.  The Lord does protect and provide for his own, but would allow the curve ball to be thrown to keep the saints from slumbering and being comfortable in this world.   Paul writings does show that the christian life would entail suffering and endurance as we are to share in Christ suffering. 

Enlightening post .:)  Merci ,and God bless you for your clarity and literary talent

Guest Thallasa
7 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

Yes because the only way to true happiness is through our Lord. 

Pithy !   :D

Guest Thallasa
8 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Good post ,  good question !! :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,058
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I don't particularly like the war I'm in but it is one I have brought about by sin.... My happiness is what The Lord has given me to bring glory back to Him...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

I said in my heart, “Come now, I will test you with pleasure; enjoy yourself.” But behold, this also was vanity. Ecclesiastes 2:1

The things of this world do not bring true joy. They will make you happy for a time. But in a moment, they can all be lost. Along with your happiness if that is what your happiness is bass on. I think that is what needs to be understood. That our happiness should not be in "things" that can be here today and gone the next.  

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

7 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Today's motto

"Life only comes around once,
so do whatever makes you happy,
and be with whoever makes you smile."

This phrase is too broad. Any who do not know the truth will be dangerously deceived in doing works of the flesh and alike.

Deceiving tactics, this world is full of them. What I have been learning is that we must do God's will, be lead by His Spirit; by doing so we feel happy.

The enemy knows our weaknesses and will attack us in there. That is when knowing God's word and being vigilant is very important, without it you will find yourself lost and defeated. The enemy want us to look at our circumstances (problems of life, what we do not have, what we are missing, etc) instead of looking to the Lord, doing His Will, living according to His Spirit.

Our time frame in this world is too short compared to the glorious eternity we all will be in our true home, together with the Lord and His angels.

Then let us not waste our time, focus on doing things we are sure we won't repent. And that is to do God's will, to live according to His Spirit.

All things in this world are just temporary. The key to live a happy, satisfied life is not to seek our own will, is to do God's will and be lead by His Spirit.

We can die, we can suffer, we can have moments of pain in this world but in Christ we will endure all these things with joy, for we know moments just pass, but our Lord is eternal and always with us.

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter:
    Fear God and keep His commandments,
    For this is man’s all." - Ecclesiastes 12:13

For everything: Thank God!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  626
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

I guess it depends on what the definition of happiness is and what makes you happy. Are we looking for earthly things to make us happy? This type of happiness is short lived and not good. However if I am spending time with the Lord and my happiness has a foundation in Him and in HIm only then that is a good happiness. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

18 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Nehemiah 8:10  Then he said to them, “Go your way. Eat the fat and drink sweet wine and send portions to anyone who has nothing ready, for this day is holy to our Lord. And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”