• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

19 hours ago, HisFirst said:

Should we be constantly seeking to make ourselves happy?

To MAKE OURSELVES happy would be living in the flesh.

We are to be content and humble. Empty for the filling of the lord.

Can God make us happy? Yes definitely, but it is of his will not us MAKING it happen.

We should be seeking God and living as he directs. It may not be a happy journey but it would be a righteous and God ordained journey.

Not all in God are HAPPY, but they should learn to be CONTENT.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

22 minutes ago, notsolostsoul said:

To MAKE OURSELVES happy would be living in the flesh.

We are to be content and humble. Empty for the filling of the lord.

Can God make us happy? Yes definitely, but it is of his will not us MAKING it happen.

We should be seeking God and living as he directs. It may not be a happy journey but it would be a righteous and God ordained journey.

Not all in God are HAPPY, but they should learn to be CONTENT.

But is not Happiness in author of all things (John 1:3, Colossians 1:16)? 

Guest bonnieschamberger

Once people know what that true joy/happiness is and it coming from the Lord I know that I absolutely want them to have that and honestly now knowing God and that true joy I absolutely love being happy I love having His joy ...no one and nothing can take it from me :emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

20 hours ago, HisFirst said:

No. it is not a goal period.

Survival in the flesh is a goal of most everyone, born of a fight or flight instinct tempered by cognitive reasoning skills developed over time.  Christians included, while eternal survival with God is the privilege of some and is a gift from God.

Happiness is not a goal, nor is it a benefit for that matter.

"Don't worry be happy" is a dumb motto. One not fitting for any servant of our Lord Jesus. 

Does a man of constant sorrows seek to be happy? Should the servants of Christ Jesus?

Life is hard and being a Christian a person called to serve  Jesus is not easy fare, for the world hates Jesus and mocks  and persecutes his own that declare He is God.

And then there is routine, daily grind.

"Chuck Swindoll wrote,'The hardest thing about life is that it’s so daily.' We have to get up every morning and put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes we just don’t feel like it. Sometimes our heart just isn’t in it. But that’s the way God set things up. Our lives are so daily. We live one day at a time. The battles we face, both large and small, each and every day, are tests. God isn’t testing us for His benefit- He already knows what’s in us because He made us. He tests us so that we can know what we can do through Him.

Are you hurting? Are your problems so big that there seems to be no solution? Trust in God and put one foot in front of the other. With Christ’s help you can face anything! " ...from part of a presentation on Lamentations source unknown to me, but that which seems to address the concept well that happiness is not a goal for the servants of God.

The goal is to know that with Christ's help "I" can get through anything. It is not to be happy and not have to face turmoil sorrow nor any laments

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Should we be constantly seeking to make ourselves happy? I assume the "WE"above is addressed to us, specifically, born again Christians. Who rely upon the Bible for instruction.

happy;  definition;    feeling or showing pleasure or contentment, cheerful, cheery, merry, joyful, jovial, jolly, jocular, gleeful, carefree, untroubled, delighted, smiling, beaming, grinning, in good spirits, in a good mood, lighthearted, pleased, contented, content, satisfied, gratified, buoyant, radiant, sunny, blithe, joyous, beatific.

I see nothing in that definition that would not be a good description of someone living for Christ. In fact, if you look at each word, and apply it to what's a Christian, that's what a Christian should look like. Christians have a bad reputation for being so somber, solemn, earnest, serious, grave, unsmiling, stern, grim, dour, humorless. There is a time to mourn, and a time to rejoice. Showing others just how serious, solemn, somber,we feel, is not the best way to share the GOOD News    We, as the forgiven, whom the Creator of the universe left heaven and submitted Himself to crucifixion for us, have the greatest reason for happiness, to spend eternity with God. Happiness is not a bad word, especially for a Christian. We should be the happiest people living. Especially in the midst of tribulations.(As God told us) Rom_5:3  And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience    And I believe we should show it. And give to the others the reason for our happiness. And help others to know the reason for our happiness. (Or as the more serious would say, our joy, our blessings)

Joy' definition; a feeling of great pleasure and happiness, delight, great pleasure, joyfulness, jubilation, triumph, exultation, rejoicing, happiness.

Blessed,  definition; supremely blest, fortunate, well off, blessed, happy,  prosper   

It's normal to want to be happy. Lost or saved. It's not normal to want to be unhappy. That would be dysfunctional. There is a worldly way to acquire happiness. Not always bad, but not always good.  Judge not!  But our bible has instructions about this for believers.    

So, how do we seek to make ourselves happy?  What does God say?

Psa 68:3  But let the righteous be glad; let them rejoice before God: yea, let them exceedingly rejoice.   Psa 64:10  The righteous shall be glad in the LORD, and shall trust in him; and all the upright in heart shall glory.  Psa_118:24  This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.  (Good one for breakfast..)         Hab 3:18  Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  Psa 33:21  For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name.     Can an unhappy person do all that? Just a few reasons. So many more.

Chuck Swindoll is one of my top favorites, the funniest and happiest believer I've ever heard. Next to Zig Ziegler, a very positive  and down to earth man. I have several of his books, and a special one "Learn how to Laugh Again" Yea, learn how to laugh again.  On the back of the book cover is  a picture of him and his wife Shirley, in full leathers, on the back of his Harley Davidson, driving into a filled up  arena full of applauding Christians. He's cool, not pretentious or pious, and happy in the Lord.  And if you ever heard him on the radio, he loves to laugh.  (Good book)

"Don't worry be happy" is a dumb motto. NOT!    (A cool song, a cute, uplifting, non offensive song)

The bible tells us above to rejoice, be glad, shall glory, joy in God, joyful, exceedingly rejoice. Is it possible to follow these instructions and not be really happy? Telling people the Good News with a joyful and happy face, will be more receptive than an unhappy or stern face. Mat_11:30  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

"Don't worry be happy" (by Bobby McFerrin lyrics)  It's kinda funny, as my wife and kids gave me this very song years back because I was always so down and  gloomy. But think about it. .....Don't worry    Isn't that what God said,  Be anxious for nothing? Quit worrying, and trust in the Lord. Sufficient is the day.....And then above, Be glad, be joyful, rejoice! .......Come on, get Happy, Mun.....Happiness is a benefit. Of obedience. Regardless of outcome. I personally, am blessed exceedingly  beyond measure. (How could I not be happy )     Just not as the world. 

Joh_14:27  Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.

Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.                                             Be happy!.......:) 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:03 PM, HisFirst said:

Should we be seeking to make ourselves anything? Or should we be seeking God to make us?

Happiness can mean different things to different people. Yet we don't make it. We are blessed with it. The Bible instructs us to be happy in knowing the Lord. 

However our actual living may bring prosecution and strife. Yet we should remain happy in knowing it is all for the Lord.

Not our happiness, but happy for living for his glory.

God gives and God can take.

It is of him not of us/we.