WHY ALL THE TITLES?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

I saw something in atyler perry play recently which I've also heard of in real life. Basically, the pastors wife in the church was called the first lady. Why? Why doesn the pastors wife need to be given the same title which is given to the  wife of president of the country? For that matter, whats will all these names being given to people in churches as of late- I know pastor, priest, deacon and reverend were there for centuries, now I'm seeing- Apostle this, Prophet/Prophetess that. Its like people are just adding prestige to themselves.were the original apostles even called that title by the  people in their churches?

• Group:  Royal Member *
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  10,596
  • Content Per Day:  3.69
  • Days Won:  25

I have never seen a single one of those titles used 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

47 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

I saw something in atyler perry play recently which I've also heard of in real life. Basically, the pastors wife in the church was called the first lady. Why? Why doesn the pastors wife need to be given the same title which is given to the  wife of president of the country? For that matter, whats will all these names being given to people in churches as of late- I know pastor, priest, deacon and reverend were there for centuries, now I'm seeing- Apostle this, Prophet/Prophetess that. Its like people are just adding prestige to themselves.were the original apostles even called that title by the  people in their churches?

I have never heard the pastor's wife being called the "first lady".  You sure it wasn't just said as a joke?  This was in a play? Well maybe the people who wrote the play never attended church before? ( sometimes people who put on plays and shows wrote by people who never attended church get the church parts wrong)  Anyway like I said, I've never heard of such a thing being done. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  419
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

55 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

I'm seeing- Apostle this, Prophet/Prophetess that. Its like people are just adding prestige to themselves.

I have seen these titles in a Baptist church that I know of. I've also witness the praising of these titles, yet their behavior speaks differently. 

To me the title means nothing if the fruits are spoiled or rotten.

This includes Pastor, Priest, Deacon, First Lady....etc.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

56 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

I have never heard the pastor's wife being called the "first lady".  You sure it wasn't just said as a joke?  This was in a play? Well maybe the people who wrote the play never attended church before? ( sometimes people who put on plays and shows wrote by people who never attended church get the church parts wrong)  Anyway like I said, I've never heard of such a thing being done. 

I've heard of them outside of the play

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I've never heard those titles either but I DO know that no one there is an Apostle, a Prophet or a Prophetess.  That is simply self-aggrandizement.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93

34 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

I've heard of them outside of the play

Do you attend a lot of different churches? In my life time so far I have attended four churches depending on where I was living at the time.  If you have been to a lot of different churches there could be some that do these strange things I guess. Why that is I could not say. Unless it is a way for them to "rule" over the  congregation. I say never be afraid to ask questions in the church. I would flat out ask them why they want me to call the pastor's wife "the first lady"?  If they did not like me asking such questions well then, I guess it is time for me to find a new church. If they told me I am to obey the pastor and "first lady"? It would be time for me to find a new church. 

• Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, LadyKay said:

If you go to a Pentecostal church you will hear all the above titles used.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  508
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  03/09/1985

I have seen the title "first lady" used in black churches. I have never seen it in a white church. Black church culture is a little different from non black church culture. 

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26

First Lady for a Pastor's wife? 

I've never heard that used here in Aus - I'm pretty certain there's no title except "the Pastor/preachers wife"!...or Mrs so and so:)

Edited by HisFirst