School, in a Christian's eyes

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I am a Christian, too. And I see school as something we really need. What do Christians think of school? Is it good, bad, or neutral? (I refer to mathematics, english and to the other subjects, not to bullying, etc.)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I believe very strongly in education and a good education a very important foundation for your future. The subjects you are being taught are good to learn and very  beneficial to you.

I would even consider going on to higher education and refining your skills with a college education. I don't see any downside to an education whatsoever .

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  01/12/1989

true

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I especially enjoyed Print Shop!

Back in about 1956. I  learned type setting, a skill that actually landed me a job in my younger days, as the firm I was interviewing at  had an old Ben Franklin  printing press and no one knew how to use it. I mentioned that I knew how to set type and actually use such a press. And so I got the job, completely unrelated to printing and type setting itself, except that I could save the company some money when they needed to run some  "special" invitations and announcements.

Even the sillier things learned at school expand the horizon of opportunities to come.

Little did I know when I was attending college at night for several years after each day's work, and in the process taking some basic business law classes that had me going into law libraries to learn how to research case law, then standing before professors and classes making  my case, that I would later spend seven years in legal battles over business issues. The college class experience helped immensely in securing proper representation and in getting that representation to dig in and do their job of representing my interests well.

Now accounting, well that is a bore a total bore, but without an understanding learned at school there is only financial disaster awaiting.

School?  I can't say the word here I suppose, but it is one, yet  it is a truly a necessary one too! Now if it could have only been fun, eh?

School  may not be all that great except for one thing; it is the practice of hard discipline that trains one how to learn. How to learn is the skill absolutely needed once one finally decides they want to know something about anything, anything at all.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Is God ok with the idea of advancing in something? (talking about our skills)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

God gives people gifts and abilities.   We're encouraged to learn and advance so these gifts may be used in our lives as Christians.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  20

On 7/1/2017 at 2:27 AM, mat007 said:

I am a Christian, too. And I see school as something we really need. What do Christians think of school? Is it good, bad, or neutral? (I refer to mathematics, english and to the other subjects, not to bullying, etc.)

Well,   the answer(s) found in Scripture may be contrary to what most people think, say, and promote.

See what Jesus Himiself said,  for instance, not just about being educated, but about everything He Spoke About -

His Word is unique in the world,  not followed nor listened to by 95% of the people.