What is judging?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

Judge not lest ye be juI am honestly getting sick and tired of hearing people use this verse out of context as a apply to all situation retort.  Person is sinning and you correct them- judge not. You express disagreement with someones actions based on scripture- Judge not. So bad that the word judging once got put on me because i wasnt interested in n unsaved women who drank partied etc. So really- What does it mean to judge

dc2ec7734621fcfb9f332c9bf82b4c77.png

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

We as Christians need to show discernment. Matthew 7:6 Jesus gives us permission to tell right from wrong. The Bible does not say that we can't judge we are not to judge hypocritically. Believers are warned against judging others unfairly or unrighteously but Jesus commends " right judgement" John 7:24.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

We are supposed to judge things, actions, whether they are godly or God's will.  Rom 12:2 WEB Don’t be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what is the good, well-pleasing, and perfect will of God.  

We should not judge people.  Those who are not born again are damned to hell as were we all.  Those who are born again answer to God, as do we.  God judges righteously and sees the inner man.  He doesn't judge outward appearances but looks at the heart.  We don't usually have enough humility to correct others, and certainly not enough love.  So people feel our disapproval, not our compassion.  

I am speaking as one who fails often in this matter.  Perhaps that is why God has allowed me to bare the brunt of the the criticism and condemnation of other Christians so often.  Perhaps God is still working to increase His loving compassion in me.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Willa states this well:  We are supposed to judge things or actions.  We should not judge people.  

Christians many times seem to do the opposite and judge people immediately.

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26
  • Days Won:  3

This is such a famous verse isn't it!

I think we need to remember that what we dish out to others, we shouldn't be hurt when it comes back to us in same manner and force (the measure we use...)

If we are to be critical about a matter, first check yourself eg: womens' dress standards - how am I stacking up in that department,  before I cast a critical look up and down  another woman. Clean up my backyard first before I can help clean someone else's.

Matthew 7:1-5King James Version (KJV)

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Edited by HisFirst

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  315
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  3,491
  • Content Per Day:  1.26

44 minutes ago, Davida said:

:13:  :grin:   O' just put some clothes on!   :P LOL!!!  :rofl: 

Oh no!:o I hope I didn't say anything wrong :ph34r:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,154
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

7 hours ago, Davida said:

I agree with as for judging  but the Bible does have more than a few verses on correcting brethren as in the members of the Church community by the "overseer/Pastor & by the elders.

Galatians 6:1  

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.

Matthew 18:15-17  

“If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

Titus 3:10-11  

As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

2 Thessalonians 3:15 

Do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.

1 Timothy 5:20 

As for those who persist in sin, rebuke them in the presence of all, so that the rest may stand in fear.

2 Timothy 4:2 

Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.

1 Corinthians 5:1-13  

It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife. And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you. For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord. ...

Romans 16:17 

I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them.

Titus 3:10 

As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him,

Matthew 18:15 

“If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother.

James 5:19 

My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

Ezekiel 33:7-12 

“So you, son of man, I have made a watchman for the house of Israel. Whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. If I say to the wicked, O wicked one, you shall surely die, and you do not speak to warn the wicked to turn from his way, that wicked person shall die in his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand. But if you warn the wicked to turn from his way, and he does not turn from his way, that person shall die in his iniquity, but you will have delivered your soul. “And you, son of man, say to the house of Israel, Thus have you said: ‘Surely our transgressions and our sins are upon us, and we rot away because of them. How then can we live?’ Say to them, As I live, declares the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel? ...

James 5:19-20 

My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

Romans 14:1-23 

As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. ...

2 Timothy 3:16 

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

Acts 20:28 

Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.

1 Thessalonians 5:14 

And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all

This was such a good post I can simply say from this that judgment from us can never be condemnation but correction in love... the difference is:  condemnation is cold and indifferent loving the penalty formed only in wrath without any other consideration... correction in love is exactly that all the purpose is to turn one from the condemnation to Life in God... it is easy to see the difference of which is being used at any time!

John 3:16 (KJV)

[16] For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

[17] For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

[18] He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

[19] And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

[20] For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

[21] But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

When one considers hell I can think of no one that I would wish to be there but the devil and his minions... for they are why God's hell 'IS'... Adam and his children are still loved by God and we who have God within us ?____________? As the heart of The Father, Son and Spirit are revealed to us in this where is your heart...
Love, Steven

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

While it's true that Christians should judge other Christians when they have fallen into sin in order to restore their fellowship with God, which is what the Bible calls "righteous judgement." I think what many object to is the ATTITUDE of the one doing the judging.

Edited by Swords99

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93

15 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

Judge not lest ye be juI am honestly getting sick and tired of hearing people use this verse out of context as a apply to all situation retort.  Person is sinning and you correct them- judge not. You express disagreement with someones actions based on scripture- Judge not. So bad that the word judging once got put on me because i wasnt interested in n unsaved women who drank partied etc. So really- What does it mean to judge

My take on this is that one can never know another one's heart. I see it more so applying to judging another Christian. On the bases of how they dress or what kind of music they listen too, that sort of thing. Judging fellow Christians could hinder them from doing the work that God has set before them to do. Maybe Brother Joe has been called by God to walk into the local bar and talk to someone sitting in there about the Lord? But all you are seeing is Brother Joe walking into the local bar! Then you make a judgment about Brother Joe.  :o   Anyway, that has always been my take on this part of scripture. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

38 minutes ago, LadyKay said:

My take on this is that one can never know another one's heart. I see it more so applying to judging another Christian. On the bases of how they dress or what kind of music they listen too, that sort of thing. Judging fellow Christians could hinder them from doing the work that God has set before them to do. Maybe Brother Joe has been called by God to walk into the local bar and talk to someone sitting in there about the Lord? But all you are seeing is Brother Joe walking into the local bar! Then you make a judgment about Brother Joe.  :o   Anyway, that has always been my take on this part of scripture. 

Yeah that's the wrong kind of judging if we look at one's appearances, etc.

The righteous judgement that the Bible talks about is when we see a fellow brother/sister in Christ living in sin, or keep sinning. This hurts their walk with God and may hinder their prayers.