Time for change?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

Was listening to a sermon bybs pastor in outreach methods. He said that he beleived that the age of open air services has passed. (An open air service  is basically when a church would go into a community and preach to the residents)

His reasoning is that once people would  stop what they were doing and come out and listen to the preaching. Now because people have far more distractions -tv ,tablets etc. They  no longer pay as much attention. He then told a story of once having an open aired service  and a man turning on his radio loudly,when they increased their volume, he in turn  raised  his. This he advocated  using  different methods of outreach.

This strikes a nerve with me. I think that some churches may run the risk  at becoming stagnant-following methods which may  have been effective in the 60s,70s and up a but may be ineffective now as society has changed significantly.I I course don't mean the morals or standards because God's word never changed but in terms of outreach and presentation of the gospel

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,182
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

36 minutes ago, creativemechanic said:

Was listening to a sermon bybs pastor in outreach methods. He said that he beleived that the age of open air services has passed. (An open air service  is basically when a church would go into a community and preach to the residents)

His reasoning is that once people would  stop what they were doing and come out and listen to the preaching. Now because people have far more distractions -tv ,tablets etc. They  no longer pay as much attention. He then told a story of once having an open aired service  and a man turning on his radio loudly,when they increased their volume, he in turn  raised  his. This he advocated  using  different methods of outreach.

This strikes a nerve with me. I think that some churches may run the risk  at becoming stagnant-following methods which may  have been effective in the 60s,70s and up a but may be ineffective now as society has changed significantly.I I course don't mean the morals or standards because God's word never changed but in terms of outreach and presentation of the gospel

Hi creativemechanic,

That took me back to the `50`s & `60`s when I would go into the city and join the others in a half circle, speaking scriptures & sharing God`s word. This would be helpful in some places but God have many and varied ways of drawing people to Himself. Relationships I find is how I work with the Holy Spirit, but of course there are times for tracts being given out. And when I was on holidays, a group of young people were on the beach drawing, I asked what it was and they took me through the whole creation, fall and need for the saviour. They handed me a tract, (if I wanted it).

So all methods are appropriate for different times and places, I think.

regards, Marilyn 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Today I would assume one needs permits...is there a law one one would break? We have come so far from that time in the religious laws of the country . Someone would make a call.....

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

16 hours ago, Davida said:

But it isn't "numbers" that you want when  preaching if one person hears and is saved this is cause for celebration. So gather together and do an open air tent if possible - if you could get the license is more the issue.  You might have to do it on some farmers open field.

I always hear "it's not about the numbers" as an argument against changing methods...and while it's a valid point, the quality of your message does absolutely no good if no ones around to hear it. There's a fine line, and one should never sacrifice the message, for sure, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't change the method, if the method isn't working. We had a church in our town that brought it in a old school tent revival preacher every year, and I enjoyed his preaching, but every year we never had any new people come, just the same old people every time, all regular church goers, akd there was fewer and fewer of those showing up....until they just stopped bringing the guy in.

I'm not saying that old school tent revivals are even bad...and should be replaced. Heck I love them. But there's nothing wrong with trying new things in addition to them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

16 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

People have the choice to stop what they are doing to listen to God's word. Life if full of choices and they are making their choice.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  616
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

18 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

You should tell that pastor it is more necessary now than ever

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Going door to door is still effective.  Look at what the mormons and JWs are doing with it.  Don't recommend that women go alone in our country, but it is still effective.  We have groups of high school and middle school kids that go to the parks and large gatherings like fairs and hydroplane races to approach people with a tract in hand, and ask them things like if thy know what true Christians believe.  

Most true evangelism is done by demonstrating our changed lives to people we love and know well.  1 Peter 3 says so he may be won without a word.  We don't have to say much to these people.  They are convicted when we no longer laugh at their dirty jokes or join in with their coarse language and bar hopping. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:28 PM, Davida said:

But it isn't "numbers" that you want when  preaching if one person hears and is saved this is cause for celebration. So gather together and do an open air tent if possible - if you could get the license is more the issue.  You might have to do it on some farmers open field.

Amen davida, amen.

I know another davidac 

Keep up the good work.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, Yowm said:

People have one idea and usually God has another...

I believe as the media comes under tighter control (including the internet) preaching will be more in the public square ...

And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for 1,260 days, clothed in sackcloth." These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth. And if anyone would harm them, fire pours from their mouth and consumes their foes. If anyone would harm them, this is how he is doomed to be killed. They have the power to shut the sky, that no rain may fall during the days of their prophesying, and they have power over the waters to turn them into blood and to strike the earth with every kind of plague, as often as they desire. And when they have finished their testimony, the beast that rises from the bottomless pit will make war on them and conquer them and kill them, and their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city that symbolically is called Sodom and Egypt, where their Lord was crucified. For three and a half days some from the peoples and tribes and languages and nations will gaze at their dead bodies and refuse to let them be placed in a tomb, and those who dwell on the earth will rejoice over them and make merry and exchange presents, because these two prophets had been a torment to those who dwell on the earth. But after the three and a half days a breath of life from God entered them, and they stood up on their feet, and great fear fell on those who saw them. Then they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, "Come up here!" And they went up to heaven in a cloud, and their enemies watched them.
(Rev 11:3-12)

Then I saw another angel flying directly overhead, with an eternal gospel to proclaim to those who dwell on earth, to every nation and tribe and language and people. And he said with a loud voice, "Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come, and worship him who made heaven and earth, the sea and the springs of water."
(Rev 14:6-7)

I believe the two witnesses are spoken of in Zecc also.  it says the same , the two anointed ones.

I know its off subject, but it came to me when I was reading what you wrote.

Be a witness to all let the SPIRIT lead and let the Light o Christ shine.

Praise ,praise , praise the Lord.  And be ye HOLY as HE is Holy amen.

We don't need to think to witness...............just witness as the Spirit leads.

Go ye out into all the world, on streets, net, phone ,just preach the gospel amen.