IGNORED

Cremation - ok or not?

Sunshine 5

14 hours ago, wingnut- said:

I don't see anything wrong with it, certainly nothing in scripture.  I told my daughter she can dispose of me however she chooses and that I'm fine with cremation as it would be less expense for her.  Welcome to worthy by the way. :)

God bless

God is silent on this. I agree.

I told my kids that I want to donate my body to science. My whole body can be used as far as I am concerned.  They cremate the body after all science is performed. Its no cost to my loved ones. Its a win win situation as I see it. No cost to the kids .My old worn out body  is a  means to further  scientific studies.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

1 Samuel 31:8-12
8  And it came to pass on the morrow, when the Philistines came to strip the slain, that they found Saul and his three sons fallen in mount Gilboa.
9  And they cut off his head, and stripped off his armour, and sent into the land of the Philistines round about, to publish it in the house of their idols, and among the people.
10  And they put his armour in the house of Ashtaroth: and they fastened his body to the wall of Bethshan.
11  And when the inhabitants of Jabeshgilead heard of that which the Philistines had done to Saul;
12  All the valiant men arose, and went all night, and took the body of Saul and the bodies of his sons from the wall of Bethshan, and came to Jabesh, and burnt them there. 13
 And they took their bones, and buried them under a tree at Jabesh, and fasted seven days.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

In God's Word,  only the enemies of God were burned after death, or in dying...

God's People were never cremated in Scripture, except by the enemy.

• Loved it! 1

Guest BacKaran

In these ridiculous times of high prices, my hubby and I agreed to be cremated. When he died, if that's not his remains, that's on the funeral home, not me.

I got a fake casket of cardboard, no one knew, it looks like the expensive caskets. Cost me about, if not less than$3000. My aunt prepaid her pink casket with Angels, extras inside and all for $12000... Totally her choice but then she was a Roman Catholic sadly and I pray that she turned to Christ and not Mary before she took her last breathe...

Edited by BacKaran

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Will anyone want to  read  responses from a former  funeral director, licensed embalmer, and Cemeterian, a sales manager and developer-planner of a Memorial Park (Cemetery/mausoleum /columbarium)? If so ask.

I also share that I will be cremated.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Even our pastor agrees it is OK to be cremated.  This is especially to be considered in the expense of burial these days.   My mom and dad had their caskets laid on top of each other to save expense.  I would rather give the difference to the living than to a cemetery.  The most elaborate expensive funerals and caskets are often given by people who have a guilty conscience or who don't understand that the souls of those who are saved have gone into the Lord's presence and don't remain in the ground.  The Jews did not have that option prior to the resurrection and ascension of Christ.   The whole idea of a decaying body lying in a casket is repugnant to me.

It is preferred in our church to hold memorial services to celebrate a person's life.   I just see no need for open casket funerals; a viewing can take place prior to it for the sake of closure.   Our whole family wants cremation.  Some cemeteries bury urns as well, which saves space.  I have a cousin who is Catholic and disapproves of it all, and I don't really care.  So it is according to your conscience, your preferences and your pocket book. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  907
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/7/2017 at 5:53 PM, Sunshine 5 said:

I have seriously thought about being cremated when I die.  I have no husband, my children have their own families, my parents will be buried together so if I am buried (should I remain single at that time) I will be placed in a hole in a plot by myself.  My desire is to be cremated and let the children decide what they want to do with this old earthly body.  My mother (91) is not very happy about this decision.  I have asked several pastors their opinion about cremation and no one can give me an answer whether it go against biblical doctrine or not.  I would really like some imput on this.  

It's perfectly fine if that is what you wish to do with your remains. :) I'm going to be cremated. The Bible tells us we return to the dust from whence we came. And our souls return to the Father that gave it so there is no issue with the perishable flesh. Because the perishable cannot inherit the imperishable kingdom in the first place. As scripture also says. 
Your mother doesn't have to be happy with your decision as to what to do with your body long after she's passed on and entered Heaven. It is your personal choice. Don't be persuaded to go against your own conscience by other peoples opinions. It is your death. And your choice. God doesn't hold it against us if we are cremated. Blessings. 

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/19/1954

Thank you for responding to my question.  I have had the same thoughts as you have stated.   

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

I have already said to my brother and one of my friends that if I should die before the Lords return.

Spend not a penny for my burial.   Bury me either in the backyard, deep, so the dogs don't dig up the body and they get in trouble.

Or put me in a bag, weigh it with rocks and put me in the water.

And the money you saved by not burying me............give to the poor who need it.

But in truth.  the way this world is headed and fast I might add,  the great tribulation will be upon us all , before too much longer.

so if that be the case , no one has to do anything.  either they kill me...........or at the end WHEN JESUS COMES

I get caught up in an instant.  AMEN LORD FOREVER AMEN.  I got the JOY of the LORD no matter what comes against me.

IN LIFE I have his peace and joy and in death I will be forever present with him. JUST JOY OF THE LORD amen.