angels4u

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Should Christians witness if they get a chance in bars and jails , knowing  there are people they can reach for the Lord?

Do you see or not see anything wrong with witnessing in certain places or buildings?

Could there  be a time in our life that God might ask us to go to a certain person who could be in a bar and witness to that person , what would you do? (of course not to drink with them )

Also what would you do if your work has a meeting after work and they decided to have it in a Mormon church?

Where would Jesus go?

Matthew 28:19-20 

“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Mark 16:15

“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'”

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

Interesting.  When I was young, the Baptist preacher one day talked about how a Christian has to care about the image he projects, and brought up how a son's character reflects his Father's name.  Made sense to me.  Went on to state that if a preacher walked into a bar, even if it was only to help someone to drunk to get home, it would reflect on how unsaved would see God.  That one should never be seen entering a bar for any reason.  I was young, and thought this was wise.  

Today, I completely reject this man made philosophy.  There should be no place a Christian is afraid to enter, as if God is for us, who can be against us?  The interesting thing is at the time we were meeting for church by renting the local roller rink on Sunday!  

Seems too many of us still judge the outside of the cup.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I do not go into bars. I don't drink. I think it is best for a jail chaplain to witness to those in jail. There is a time and place for everything and I think that witnessing to those in jail and bars is not the best choice.

3 hours ago, angels4u said:

Should Christians witness if they get a chance in bars and jails , knowing  there are people they can reach for the Lord?

Do you see or not see anything wrong with witnessing in certain places or buildings?

Could there  be a time in our life that God might ask us to go to a certain person who could be in a bar and witness to that person , what would you do? (of course not to drink with them )

Also what would you do if your work has a meeting after work and they decided to have it in a Mormon church?

Where would Jesus go?

Matthew 28:19-20 

“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Mark 16:15

“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'”

I know there have been times in my life when I have been led to speak with someone in some very unusual places .

I have to admit that years ago I struggled with it I had my own preconceived ideas and had to learn that my way of seeing things needed some correction

I know that when God has asked me to do something ,that even though I may not understand at the time that it's something I need to do .  So I just do it ? And things have always worked out.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

Jesus had no problems with associating with sinners and publicans.

Matt. 9:10, And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples.

Matt. 9:11-13, And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?

12, But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.

13, But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

I witnesses on the job in coal mines where men could not say more than three words without using filthy disgusting language, and often blasphemed the Name of Jesus when ever something went wrong. They laughed at me, ridiculed me and even called me "Father." All water off a ducks back as far as I was concerned. They did come to me when help was needed regarding health, safety, and negotiating wage increases when due every time. They elected me as local check inspector, Lodge President and delegate. Why, because they trusted me because of my beliefs.

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

I believe  that as a Christian we are set free to set the captives free, no matter where they are as we're all saved by grace and not by anything we could add to our Salvation.

Mark 2:17

17 And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.

John 4:27 

27 Just then his disciples came back. They marveled that he was talking with a woman, but no one said, “What do you seek?” or, “Why are you talking with her?”

Luke 19:10 
10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, Luke 4:18

We were all sinners and Jesus took us all out of the miry clay, so who are we thinking we're too much of a  Christian to reach the lost no matter where they are?

He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. Psalm 40:2

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

The gideons regularly go into jails and hold bible studies and hand out Bibles. As far as bars....I think wisdom is important, it may not be a good idea for a pastor or a elder to hang out in a bar witnessing unless it was a well advertised ministry, just to avoid rumors. I spend a decent amount of time in bars myself, when im on the road, because i often stay in small towns and theyre often the best-and sometimes, the only places to eat, especially later at night when I pull on, and some of the best biblical discussions ive had with complete strangers, have been in bars.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,371
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

Psalm 1Amplified Bible (AMP)

Book One

The Righteous and the Wicked Contrasted.

[a]Blessed [fortunate, prosperous, and favored by God] is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked [following their advice and example],
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit [down to rest] in the seat of [b]scoffers (ridiculers).

I would take the advice of the above and refrain from bars.   Bars, depending on how you see or imagine  the setting can actually be a danger to your person as you can easily become entangled in situations that could be  harmful.  The Bible does tell us to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.   

Prisons, though you are surrounded by criminal elements, you are within the law and has protection to some degree.  

Going to a mormon church to attend to your duties would not be an issue to me as it would not change my salvation.   Would i choose to go on my own for a worship service and to witness, i don't think so.  

In your daily walk, plenty of opportunities are presented and you have to learn to recognize them and use the approaches with diligence.  The Holy Spirit would lead and guide you in those situations.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

We have a lot of people in our church who engage in jail ministry, and we also have a group of new Christians from a pretty rough background who come on Wednesday night service and ask a lot of question, have prayer requests for unsaved children, etc.  But we also have quite a few who work as jailers as well as other forms of law enforcement.  We all must do the things God places on our hearts to do.  That is part of walking in the Spirit.  

Some people think we should avoid walking down the liquor section of the grocery store.  Sorry, but that is often the only isle that is not blocked or crowded.  I use an electric chair so it is important not to run into people or displays.  But I don't feel comfortable eating or waiting in the bar part of a restaurant, where sometimes we are required to pick up take out orders. We usually eat mid to late afternoon, and often they want to seat us in the bar.  I finally confronted the manager and told her I was insulted that they assumed I was a bar fly.  She sputtered a little.  But at least they ask where we would like to be seated now.

As far as the mormon church is concerned.  I know for a fact that they have a lot of occult symbols and images in the temple.  I haven't seen that in their wards.  Parents were outraged when the high school band was required to play for mormon gatherings.  And I hesitate to use the building for a work gathering when there are so many neutral places to gather.  We have a buddhist temple here as well and I wouldn't want to have a work gathering there either.  There is a difference in my mind between being required to go there and choosing to go to visit or say to view historical material in the mormon library.  But in all cases we need to listen to the Holy Spirit.  I wouldn't want an immature Christian to mistake that for being an endorsement of their religion, since many people believe they are Christians as they also claim to be.  

We need to be as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves, to be in the world but not of the world.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  3

-

You have those who knock on doors and you have those who only let their light shine for the Lord.

Then you have those who sit and debate about which of those is wrong.

Perhaps, the best ability you can have for Jesus The Christ, is availability.

If you are Available, then He'll find a way to use you.

If you are never really being used, then its because you are not really available.