IGNORED

Church of England bishops in the UK say, Being gay IS NOT A SICKNESS OR A SIN,

HAZARD

Guest shiloh357
44 minutes ago, OldSchool2 said:

So if you can't read the original languages or even if you can but only have copies of the autographs there is no inspiration involved?

Sounds more magical than biblical.

No, it's not that at all.   We have the word of God preserved in tens of thousands of copies/manuscripts  dating back to the  early to mid 2nd century, to within about 50 years of the death of the last apostle.

And so the fact that we only have copies isn't a problem nor is it magical.   God does not inspire translations or copies; He preserves them and has preserved them in every language into which they have been translated.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  616
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/12/2017 at 11:36 AM, OneLight said:

Not really Pudgenik.  A false teacher never means they are not in Christ, just that what is being taught is wrong.  There is only one truth and one way to the Father and salvation, despite how many other ways this post-modern generation wants to say otherwise.  Sin is sin, no matter what color it comes in or how pretty one tries to make it.

Yes I know this, and this is why we need to get back on topic of this gay stuff. 

But i think it would be a good topic as its own post

On 7/9/2017 at 6:26 AM, Deborah_ said:

Being gay is not a sin, just a temptation. It's the behaviour that's the sin.

And most so-called 'conversion therapies' have been discredited, at least in the UK. Their promoters raise false hopes, and exploit (and fleece) some very desperate people. I don't know of any reputable church or Christian group that endorses them.

So I agree with the bishops in this particular instance.

A gross exaggeration. One bishop once associated (unwisely) with a group of Welsh druids. He has never lived it down...

Deborah, what does it mean to you to be gay? (In the LG concept)

Personally, I don't think you can really separate the action of two people, or the desire, lust of one, who claims to be gay. And not call it sinful.

As Jesus stated in scripture, if a man lusts over a woman, he has sinned in his heart.

On 7/12/2017 at 1:33 PM, OldSchool2 said:

Of course some translations are better than others, but that doesn't invalidate them. And the ability to read Koine Greek and/or Hebrew doesn't guarantee spiritual understanding.

True enough. 

The only exceptions I know, off the top, who's bibles are drastically altered are the J. W.'s who never believed in Christ's divinity, and the Methodists who tryed to neuter God by taking all reference of the Father out.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790

47 minutes ago, Pudgenik said:

Deborah, what does it mean to you to be gay? (In the LG concept)

Personally, I don't think you can really separate the action of two people, or the desire, lust of one, who claims to be gay. And not call it sinful.

As Jesus stated in scripture, if a man lusts over a woman, he has sinned in his heart.

To my mind (and I have met a lot of gay people), being gay is one's sexual orientation, pure and simple. Just as 98% of the human race are heterosexual in orientation. None of us has to think about it or stir it up; it's just a fact that we grow up with. 

Now what we call lust is when we become attracted to a particular person (whether of the opposite sex or the same sex) who we are not married to (or who there is no prospect of being married to). Lust is always sinful, whether heterosexual or homosexual. But most heterosexuals don't go round committing lust all the time, and homosexuals are no different. (Think of all the people of the opposite sex whom you meet in the course of work etc - I'm sure you don't lust after them all, and why would gay people be lusting after everyone of the same sex all the time?)

So there's a distinction between the orientation and the desire. The desire (lust) is sinful; the orientation merely dictates the direction of the desire. Nobody has any control over their orientation; we do have some control over our desires; we have absolute control over our behaviour.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

1 hour ago, Pudgenik said:

True enough. 

The only exceptions I know, off the top, who's bibles are drastically altered are the J. W.'s who never believed in Christ's divinity....

Their New World Translation suffers from both bad grammar and interpretation.

2 hours ago, OldSchool2 said:

Their New World Translation suffers from both bad grammar and interpretation.

I heard about a group once that was boasting of having prophets, apostles, teachers and so on. They were claiming to be part of a one world church. Have you heard of it. 

I felt the teachings were off center, at least what I had heard

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

9 hours ago, Pudgenik said:

I heard about a group once that was boasting of having prophets, apostles, teachers and so on. They were claiming to be part of a one world church. Have you heard of it....

The Unification Church, aka the "Holy Spirit Association for the Unification of World Christianity" also known as the Moonies?