The_Patriot2017

Message Bible Author Eugene Peterson: Homosexuality Not Wrong, Megachurches Aren't Real Churches

33 posts in this topic

Eugene Peterson, the Presbyterian pastor who wrote the "The Message," has come out in support of gay marriage, saying that he would officiate a same-sex wedding if asked.

In an interview with Jonathan Merritt at Religion News Service Wednesday, the author of more than 30 books said that he knows many gays and lesbians who "seem to have as good a spiritual life as I do," noting that he would not have said that 20 years ago. He added that he thinks the whole debate about gays and lesbians is probably "over."

"People who disapprove of it, they'll probably just go to another church," Peterson, who formerly pastored a PCUSA church, said.

"So we're in a transition and I think it's a transition for the best, for the good. I don't think it's something that you can parade, but it's not a right or wrong thing as far as I'm concerned."

He was asked if he were pastoring today and a same-sex couple in his church asked him to perform their wedding ceremony, would he do it. Peterson replied: "Yes."

The 84-year-old writer is perhaps best known for creating "The Message," a reading Bible that uses contemporary language. "The Message," as Merritt noted, does not use the words "homosexual" and "homosexuality" in key texts. 

Denny Burk, professor of Biblical Studies at Boyce College, argued that Peterson did more than leave out the words "homosexual."  

"n the three New Testament passages that deal explicitly with homosexuality, Peterson obscures and conceals the Bible's meaning altogether (see Rom. 1:26-27, 1 Cor. 6:9-11, 1 Tim. 1:10 in The Message)," Burk, who wasn't surprised by Peterson's new comments on homosexuality, wrote on his blog

 

Full text here

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The_Patriot2017 said:

Eugene Peterson, the Presbyterian pastor who wrote the "The Message," has come out in support of gay marriage, saying that he would officiate a same-sex wedding if asked.

In an interview with Jonathan Merritt at Religion News Service Wednesday, the author of more than 30 books said that he knows many gays and lesbians who "seem to have as good a spiritual life as I do," noting that he would not have said that 20 years ago. He added that he thinks the whole debate about gays and lesbians is probably "over."

"People who disapprove of it, they'll probably just go to another church," Peterson, who formerly pastored a PCUSA church, said.

"So we're in a transition and I think it's a transition for the best, for the good. I don't think it's something that you can parade, but it's not a right or wrong thing as far as I'm concerned."

He was asked if he were pastoring today and a same-sex couple in his church asked him to perform their wedding ceremony, would he do it. Peterson replied: "Yes."

The 84-year-old writer is perhaps best known for creating "The Message," a reading Bible that uses contemporary language. "The Message," as Merritt noted, does not use the words "homosexual" and "homosexuality" in key texts. 

Denny Burk, professor of Biblical Studies at Boyce College, argued that Peterson did more than leave out the words "homosexual."  

"n the three New Testament passages that deal explicitly with homosexuality, Peterson obscures and conceals the Bible's meaning altogether (see Rom. 1:26-27, 1 Cor. 6:9-11, 1 Tim. 1:10 in The Message)," Burk, who wasn't surprised by Peterson's new comments on homosexuality, wrote on his blog

 

Full text here

Hey Patriot, I hadn't heard about this until now. It seems like so many well known Christians are speaking out in favor of lifestyles that in the past would have never happened. We were just discussing a  similar story of a well known Christian author and a musician who,of late has made similar stands. The sad thing is that being in a position where others look up to him, it can make it harder for those who were already battling with current trends and issues. :( 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Message is not a bible.  It is one mans attempt to rewrite scripture to fit his beliefs.  They call it a bible for marketing reasons.

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OneLight said:

The Message is not a bible.  It is one mans attempt to rewrite scripture to fit his beliefs.  They call it a bible for marketing reasons.

 

I do not disagree, I strongly dislike it, it has so much false teachings in it I keep it right next to my copy of the quran. They have watered so much of it down and changed so much I would have a issue even calling it a paraphrase.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OneLight said:

The Message is not a bible.  It is one mans attempt to rewrite scripture to fit his beliefs.  They call it a bible for marketing reasons.

 

I fully agree... I couldn't read that mess ... argh!  It's blasphemous to even label it as the Word of God... very deceptive, imo. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OneLight said:

The Message is not a bible.  It is one mans attempt to rewrite scripture to fit his beliefs.  They call it a bible for marketing reasons.

 

I agree and it is a shame as reading the bible sans chapters and verses is such an amazing way to immerse oneself in the bible and really read it as it was written. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Annette said:

Hey Patriot, I hadn't heard about this until now. It seems like so many well known Christians are speaking out in favor of lifestyles that in the past would have never happened. We were just discussing a  similar story of a well known Christian author and a musician who,of late has made similar stands. The sad thing is that being in a position where others look up to him, it can make it harder for those who were already battling with current trends and issues. :( 

 

II Peter 2  But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2017 at 11:11 AM, wingnut- said:

 

II Peter 2  But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

Thanks Wing :) Blessings

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2017 at 0:05 AM, The_Patriot2017 said:

Eugene Peterson, the Presbyterian pastor who wrote the "The Message," has come out in support of gay marriage, saying that he would officiate a same-sex wedding if asked.

In an interview with Jonathan Merritt at Religion News Service Wednesday, the author of more than 30 books said that he knows many gays and lesbians who "seem to have as good a spiritual life as I do," noting that he would not have said that 20 years ago. He added that he thinks the whole debate about gays and lesbians is probably "over."

"People who disapprove of it, they'll probably just go to another church," Peterson, who formerly pastored a PCUSA church, said.

"So we're in a transition and I think it's a transition for the best, for the good. I don't think it's something that you can parade, but it's not a right or wrong thing as far as I'm concerned."

He was asked if he were pastoring today and a same-sex couple in his church asked him to perform their wedding ceremony, would he do it. Peterson replied: "Yes."

The 84-year-old writer is perhaps best known for creating "The Message," a reading Bible that uses contemporary language. "The Message," as Merritt noted, does not use the words "homosexual" and "homosexuality" in key texts. 

Denny Burk, professor of Biblical Studies at Boyce College, argued that Peterson did more than leave out the words "homosexual."  

"n the three New Testament passages that deal explicitly with homosexuality, Peterson obscures and conceals the Bible's meaning altogether (see Rom. 1:26-27, 1 Cor. 6:9-11, 1 Tim. 1:10 in The Message)," Burk, who wasn't surprised by Peterson's new comments on homosexuality, wrote on his blog

 

Full text here

(UPDATED) In retraction, popular author affirms ‘a biblical view of everything’—including marriage.
 JULY 13, 2017 2:08 PM

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Anonymous Aristotle said:
(UPDATED) In retraction, popular author affirms ‘a biblical view of everything’—including marriage.
 JULY 13, 2017 2:08 PM

 

I saw that later on, and it sounds more like a backpedal to me to avoid public scrutiny.

Either way though, honestly, the message cannot stand as a translation regardless of the authors beliefs. It does not hold true to any ancient manuscripts, and is so full of new age mumbo jumbo that I would have a hard time calling it a paraphrase. Abomination is far more like it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites