• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,188
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

That phrase, `to agree to disagree,` I believe is wrong. It has always not sat right with me. We, as believers would then not speak to atheists, as we would all disagree and that would seemingly, from that phrase, be OK. The world uses this term to try and have `peace,` no conflict, but that is not correct.

The right phrase is `I agree THAT we disagree.` From that understanding then there is room to discuss perhaps at a later date, the topic etc.

I believe it is important not to parrot the world`s jargon, as it can seep into our own beliefs. Finally it is not scriptural, as we are encouraged to `contend earnestly for the faith.` (Jude 3) and to `speak the truth in love.` (Eph. 4: 15)

What are your thoughts?

Marilyn.

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  187
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

That phrase, `to agree to disagree,` I believe is wrong. It has always not sat right with me. We, as believers would then not speak to atheists, as we would all disagree and that would seemingly, from that phrase, be OK. The world uses this term to try and have `peace,` no conflict, but that is not correct.

The right phrase is `I agree THAT we disagree.` From that understanding then there is room to discuss perhaps at a later date, the topic etc.

I believe it is important not to parrot the world`s jargon, as it can seep into our own beliefs. Finally it is not scriptural, as we are encouraged to `contend earnestly for the faith.` (Jude 3) and to `speak the truth in love.` (Eph. 4: 15)

What are your thoughts?

Marilyn.

I agree with you, and I like your phrase. if one agree to disagree you're still in disagreement. for the Lord through the prophet Amos said, 3:3 "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?", and if one agree to disagree then they cannot walk together. so your saying is better. 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I disagree.....

If we can't agree to disagree, when we really do disagree, then we can't walk together.   That I agree with....   but if you only walk with people you agree with you will most likely be a lonely person......    I don't know a single person that agrees with everything their friends think.....

I would agree that there are a few things that would keep two people from walking together if they didn't agree, but taking it to not being able to come together and just agree to let the other person have thier view is just wrong.   And constantly arguing  over the disagreement will drive people apart.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

7 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

That phrase, `to agree to disagree,` I believe is wrong. It has always not sat right with me.

What are your thoughts?

Marilyn.

I'll start with this one.

You and I have bumped heads on a few subjects in the past.  I stand firm in my theology and you in yours.  Yet, we do not change our stance due to "evidence" the other provides.  Notice this all has to do with prophecy, something that has not come to pass yet?  How can one person be so sure of the future when we are not given unmovable specifics?  We can't, which is why we agree to disagree as it is theology we have come to believe about the future and no evidence is available as the event has not happened.  We try to "fill in the gaps" of information we garner from scripture, needing to have a full picture instead of just accepting that we don't know.  That is our nature, a nature that caused Adam and Eve to sin, and a nature to divides the body still today.

When it comes to salvation, there is only one truth, and we should not accept nor rest when we see false teachings on this particular issue.  Here I will agree with your statement.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

On the salvation issues, I agree with Cobalt1959 and OneLight. However, Marilyn C was speaking of our dealings with atheists and other non-believers. Romans 12:18 says, " If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. " Since "all men" most likely includes atheists, non-believers and other assorted miscreants, I believe "agree to disagree" would be appropriate. Our agreement extends only to the topic we disagree about and in no way obligates us to any worldly doctrine or heresy. At least by being agreeable, we sow the seed for future discussions at which time we plant another seed for Jesus. While man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God, we have been given dominion over words, so we should be able to use them however we see fit to give glory to God and promote the Kingdom.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  190
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

I think Marylin is entitled to her opinion. We speak for ourselves. Not the whole of Christendom.

For my part, if I agree to disagree with someone it means we've arrived at an impasse in our discussion and neither side is going to concede to the other's perspective. Rather than butt heads in an endless round of work to change the others mind we simply agree we've arrived at an impasse, agree to disagree with each others perspective, and move on.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

12 hours ago, other one said:

I disagree.....

If we can't agree to disagree, when we really do disagree, then we can't walk together.   That I agree with....   but if you only walk with people you agree with you will most likely be a lonely person......    I don't know a single person that agrees with everything their friends think.....

I would agree that there are a few things that would keep two people from walking together if they didn't agree, but taking it to not being able to come together and just agree to let the other person have thier view is just wrong.   And constantly arguing  over the disagreement will drive people apart.  

But what if all your heart loves is TRUTH.  I desire fellowship with others, but never at the expense of the TRUTH.

JESUS is truly first.  From that I see HOW to do all THINGS righteously .

I had sooner be alone than to be unequally yoked together.   Not that I hate anyone.

BUT , anyone who truly knows the LORD will understand clearly what I say next.

I have no real peace in it.  It is truly as though my only family are those who love truth.

I have all in common with a stranger who loves the LORD , than I do with my own flesh family who serves not GOD.

The love of TRUTH is my hearts desire and from that LOVE comes the real LOVE for mankind.

the Love that don't worry about where one spends vacation , but rather ETERNITY

the LOVE that aint all about hugs and being a friend of the world , but CORRECTION < SOUND DOCTRINE and hugs.

We cannot be in harmony with those who are not agreed in the LORD , in love with TRUTH.

Any who don't understand this..........my advice is start over , pray , seek only HIM , forget all cares and pleasures in life which choked the word.

Just seek him with the whole heart..........the whole heart and find Him you will.  Be encouraged peoples and praise the LORD>

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Usually people are disagreeing as to what the truth is.  So you are basically saying if you don't agree with me it'd be goodbye guy.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

You guys are wayyyy over thinking this. Agree to disagree is totally acceptable.

The term "agree to disagree" or "agreeing to disagree" is a phrase in English referring to the resolution of a conflict (usually a debate or quarrel) whereby all parties tolerate but do not accept the opposing position(s).

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,188
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

14 hours ago, 101G said:

I agree with you, and I like your phrase. if one agree to disagree you're still in disagreement. for the Lord through the prophet Amos said, 3:3 "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?", and if one agree to disagree then they cannot walk together. so your saying is better. 

Hi 101G,

Hey that is a good scripture there. Thanks for sharing.

Marilyn.