27 posts in this topic

Oh WOW Mega!!!!

Thats a heap of info for me this time of night,lol    You can be sure tomorrow I am going to read carefully & try to follow what you did so I can understand & learn.....though it doesn't take a whole lot of comprehension to understand the most important thing said....."Do I need to  post it?" It is not mine to share".....great advice,I mean it is "stealing" when you do not have permission...isn't it?

So basically,is there anything you can be sure of,that is okay to to "reuse" ?                      I'll be back tomorrow can't keep my eyes open

57 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

great advice,I mean it is "stealing" when you do not have permission...isn't it?

So basically,is there anything you can be sure of,that is okay to to "reuse" ?

People vary in what they believe. Some people figure, that the internet is a public place. If it is public, it must be as available as if you saw it walking down the street. I think they are in error, and are just knowingly making excuses, justifications for why they steal. We have become so entitled in our mentality, and the internet has increased that I think.

As far as I am concerned, it is not yours, if you did not create it or the person who created it, has given you permission. Property is property, whether physical or intellectual. I try to live this out. The avatar I am presently using, is a composite of several images.

bagatar.jpg

The background is of a painting I made of Bryce Canyon. The Omegaman suit image, I purchased from a now out of business company, call Xtranormal. I modified, that, by removing the brocolli, and replacing it with an Omega letter. The paper bag was cut from another image, of an image that was released to the public domain, as far as I could tell.

By analogy, suppose you spent tens of thousands of hours, researching for a project. you spend thousands, or even millions, of your own money, or the money of investors in your idea. For the sake of an exaggerated argument, after your research and investment in materials, tools, the purchased labor of others, facilities, prototypes, testing, refinement, etc. You finally have your Gizmo 5000, a device that can be added to any gasoline powered engine, to improve it's efficiency, and reduce pollution. You spend more money, getting it EPA certified. Money for patent seaches, and other lawerly type things. You take out insurance, in case of liability issues, and you spend a boatload of money, on marketing.

The day comes, and you announce the price of this, at $99 each. You expect that the sales will be brisk, and that you will recover that money, in perhaps as little as 5 years, you will begin to make a profit. You spent so much effort, that your spouse divorced you, and took half of what you had, and half of your new company and it's future income, etc.

Most people never stop to think, what goes into bringing a product to market, but your day has come, and you have prevailed over hardship, you just have to wait the storm out now.

Fast forward 6 months, it has been great so far, still living on borrowed money and a regular job, that you can keep half the income from. You open up a magazine, and there is a full page ad, featuring your invention. "Wait a minute, I never took out this ad", you think!

Reading the ad copy, you see that this is the Gizwang 5000, available for only $29.99, with your credit card. Some people, would get a lawyer, and fight. The lawyers, take more money for consultations etc, but are not willing to work pro bono for a time, until they can recover your money in a law suit. You hire another law firm, not to fight, just to advise you of your options. Their honest opinion, Gizwang can continue to make the product in China, and you cannot stop them. The have deeper pockets, and can delay any legal outcome for a decade. The most you can do, is fight distribution in the U.S. on a case by case basis, and that also, will cost you money.'

Being a rational human being, you have a breakdown, and require institutionalization for a period. More bills. When you are on the outside again, you do the only thing you can think to do, you kill yourself, intentionally, or by drinking yourself to death!

That is part of the reason, there are copyright and patent laws. People are evil, and willing to steal for selfish reasons. They either make money on what you do, or they just want to avoid giving you money, if they can get it for free. Either way, I see it as theft, and so have U.S. courts, for the most part. Even getting a criminal or civil court to side with you, does not insure you will ever get paid. We probably miss a lot of good products, because the protectuons are not trustworthy enough, to take risks. Fortunely, some are taking the risk, and I think we should be slow to judge, as some do, what they perceive as greed of others, just trying to make a buck, by taking these risks.

You asked:

So basically,is there anything you can be sure of,that is okay to to "reuse" ?

Maybe not! Maybe the best you can do is try to reduce risk of of doing these wrongs. One thing that greatly reduces such risks, is you purchase the right to use an image. I know, that goes against our entitlement mentality, or the idea that it is good to be thrifty and wise stewards of our finances. Sometimes such terms are euphemisms for "cheap-skate". I am not sure why it is that we think that is it okay, to deprive people of income, for the work they do, but it is okay to complain, if an employer asked us to work  for half the going rate, let alone for free!

People might actually consider, that there are places on the web, where you can purchase the right to use photos, art, clip art, etc, for a fee. Some of them might seem a little expensive, but it more people bought such images, the cheaper they might become. If I were an artist, I would rather sell 1000 copies of an image for a dollar each, than one image for $100!

Probably, the vast majority of websites that specialize it selling such images, are doing so legitimately.

15 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Hmmm,maybe it was  New Jersey? I was probably 5,6 & 7 yrs old,I didn't really have my navigation skills yet,lol    Come to think of it,it may not have been Knottsberry Farm at all(I was there in Californiia many times) Maybe Elsie was in Freedom Land?:24:  Too bad my Dad or Mom are no longer here to tell me....sorry,I do know Elsie was not too far across the OuterBridge crossing to New Jersey & South(by car).....we always flew to California(1/2 the family lived there)

oh that explains it :35: :rofl:

by the way, I still don't really "have my navigation skills" :emot-lwt:

Hi Mega

Great analogy,I do hope it gets the message across as intended because I agree 100%....especially as an artist who has had some similar experience with something I created and someone else got a copyright for the print,lithographs..... I never really cared,I was not looking to sell it or anything and I have no idea how much they made in sales because I never looked into it....I figured they must have needed it more than I and doing things that way usually brings grief one way or another:noidea:

Anyway,no matter how anyone twists it ,turns it or tries to justify their actions....errrr,wrong!Now it may not be a big deal if you are emailing a friend or something & you want to show then something you thing is pretty etc...but here,its a public domain and besides that WE REPRESENT JESUS!!! So I think we need to be extra extra mindful of what we do here   

Thank you for the time you took to answer my questions ,it is appreciated and I do value your advice my friend....and I don't know how to clip & copy & all that cool stuff you do....I got lost at "Go to Google Images Section/filters":24:                                                              With love-in Christ,Kwik

Here's something I'm running into when looking for fonts to use on my images. I'm finding that many new fonts that you download have copyright notices that say "free for personal use...for commercial license go to such and such"I haven't looked into getting a commercial license for any fonts yet. Maybe somewhere down the road. For now I look for fonts that say "free for personal and commercial use.

I never use those fonts, Shel.    one never knows where something you create goes, or if they change their policy and a few years later see you using it and give you grief.

All the time I spent with Xerox we dealt with things of this nature.  Fonts for commercial use can cost tens of thousands of dollars.