Steve_K

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  220
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

My mom used to say "There's people starving in Africa, eat your potatoes." It was hard for me to relate to, mainly because I lived in Millington. Michigan, not Africa. Besides, I was 8 years old and didn't really care what was going on it the world, just my little part of it.

Some people find me hard to relate to anymore, especially the last couple of years. Especially since I've been down about as far as I could go, without having the Lord call me home.

In the Spring of 2015, I started to have some problems with my left arm. I didn't think much of it because I was always having aches and pains. By that summer, I couldn't walk up steps anymore. And I grew weaker and weaker.  That fall, I went to the doctor and he put me on pain med. From then on. my wife became my primary care giver. We tried to find out what was wrong with me, but I had a terrible doctor.

Skip to 2016, summer. My wife left me and I could not take care of myself at all. So, I ended up in a nursing home in a wheelchair. Plus, I was now going through a divorce.  In October, I was finally diagnosed with a mild form of Parkinson's and was put on medication and extensive rehab.

Some people, especially in my church, make me feel a little like those starving Africans years ago. As I was indifferent to the struggles of the Africans, so people in my church are detached from my struggles. I'd had 3 people visit me, and no one calls me or my mom to find out how I'm doing. Why I don't know.

By the way, August 1st I'm being discharged from the nursing home. Everyone says I'm good enough to go home. And I now use a walker instead of the wheelchair.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

Ah, people!  The bad thing about us is that we get so into our own struggles we forget those that others are going through.  Case in point; last year I nearly lost my sight and struggled for months before I found the right doctor and had the surgery that saved my sight.  But, while I was off work and feeling sorry for myself, I had to have a new roof put on due to hail damage.  The roofing contractor came over, climbed up on the roof and did his assessment.  When he came down and was telling me the problems, I mentioned that I envied him and that I wouldn't be able to see to go up there.  And he said 'yes, you could do it' and rolled up the leg of his jeans.  His name is Tommy and he lost his right leg in Afghanistan.  He owns and runs a successful roofing company and climbs all over with a prosthetic leg!  I felt ashamed of myself and decided right then and there that, every time I was tempted to have a pity party, I would think of Tommy.  I'm telling you this because I want you to NEVER give up.   I know the Lord will bring you back to independence, as He did Tommy, all you need to do is ask.  And I'm going to pray for your full recovery right now.  And once you are back to your old self remember to check on and help those who need it.  

7 hours ago, eileenhat said:

A similar occurrence occurred in my life (though I was not the person who was ill in my case, but the sole caregiver of two people who did attend a local Church I knew well from earlier attendance).

No one came when I called for assistance from their Church.  Just needed a week or two of help.  A few hours here and there.  A shoulder to lean on in my time of need.  I almost failed on my own but God heard my prayers and gave me strength to endure and get through it (they both got ill and couldn't think clearly for a time due to several injuries that went awry all at once.  Predictable in the elderly).

A year later she (the Church deacon who I called and knew of my situation) denounces me in public for being a bad caregiver.

From bad to worse behavior on the Churches part (already requested prayer here for the Pastor, who has so many of his own public and private issues he can't be called on for any help anymore.  Just not available to Church members).

Was it because I was indifferent to someone?

No.  Not my sin.

I asked for their forgiveness (all you can do).

On demonstrating Compassion for Others

Colossians 3:12  NIV

"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."

Philippians 2:1-3 NIV

"Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.  Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves,"

What's the matter with Christians anymore?

7 hours ago, Abby-Joy said:

People think when someone comes to them with something that seems beyond their understanding or beyond their own experience, that they can't do anything to help, so often, they push the person in need away (rejection, avoidance, even condemnation, blame, shame)  ....... most of the time, a simple hug ... a good, long secure hug from a sister would have meant the world to me........ or someone just to say, "I'm so sorry... I love you... let's pray... "  .... you know what I mean?  That is what my heart so longed for ..... and that is what I try to give to others... no judging, just love ....and prayer... maybe a hug...  

The church is becoming the church of Laodicea.

REVELATION 3:15-16 

"I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth"

Christians are becoming lazy, uncommitted and self centered. Too comfortable in their own little world. And Lord help anyone who messes up a round of golf or a trip to Walmart, for of all things, a need someone has *GASP*.

Allot of Christians have the attitude, "I put my money in the plate every Sunday, let the Pastor handle it. After all, I've got a BBQ tonight." 

It reminds me of MATTHEW 25:41-45 

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ 44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ 45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

You're right, just a simple hug means allot. But alas, we're talking about the modern church of Laodicea. Has the church forgotten these words of Jesus?

JOHN 13:35

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

Amen, brother... you're right ... but we must not forget.... dear Heavenly Father, may we never forget why we love .... You loved us first, and we love You in return.... and we extend Your love to others, in Jesus' name!:emot-heartbeat:

Abby, I thought I was a little too hard on the church. But I really wasn't. I love the church, I think I need to remind myself as well as other believers.

I understand, Steve ... I can tell you are an encourager, and so it's hard to speak something that seems negative, even when it is true.  Sometimes, the truth is hard to swallow, and needs to be spoken... in love.  I believe you have. It's good to remember Jesus' words... and be diligent to stay close to His heart, to guard our hearts so that our love toward one another will not grow cold... 

I never rebuke unless I include myself. Thanks Abby :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  471
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,542
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Days Won:  9

I think people in the church's are too wrap up in there own life's a lot of the time. And in church's they have friendships in different groups that you are not in. Just like the world. Jesus said blessed are the poor in spirit. The meek and humble souls. I have to pity Christians who have hard hearts. They are poor and think they are rich. And the worst part there fellowship in the spirit is really broken. Wherever you are Steve I am praying for you.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

2Co 1:3  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,

2Co 1:4  who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

2Co 1:5  For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.

God uses every problem in our lives so that we can come along side and know how to support others going through these same problems and trials.  It is not till we have suffered that we know how to reach out to others.  So the people in your church did not know how to reach out to your--didn't know how to comfort or support you.  Perhaps they had a fear of hospitals and nursing homes.  Many people do.  And God will chasten those who have misjudged you if they are truly His.  I do ask God to comfort you in the grief and anger you are going through.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Life does go on. And I admire you for your courage, even when you feel like you don't have any.  God is stretching your faith and will use you.  We are told that we need to identify with the sufferings of Christ, despised and rejected by men.  

Blessings,

Willa

18 hours ago, eileenhat said:

I have a different viewpoint than 'what is wrong' and view this as a distress call instead from people who have neglected their walk with the Lord and need his help to return to his embrace.

Automatic attendance of any Church, while always understood intellectually as not meaning automatic salvation, is still viewed as the best walk with the Lord by everyone.

I find myself on a solo mission often to retell people to 'get out of their pews' and walk with God instead, as I can see for myself how better in the end it works out (as I have only moved closer to the Lord since I took off 'my training wheels').

But people will not let go of their dedication to their Church system, even when it stops working spiritually for them.

Just the way it is.

No need to gripe or become involved in their decision.  We are only meant to walk with the Lord ourselves the best we can.  We are not responsible for other Christians walk who tell us 'their walk is better', other than to recognize their behavior and pray for them.

You probably attest to 'only' walking with the Lord through Church attendance etc.  You probably see no reason to change.

Even if evidence begins to pile up that that path no longer functions as it once did.

We were warned of this time in Revelations.

Hence my many attempts here to tell people about Revelations in order for a fuller understanding to occur to them.

There is no need for hopelessness, rather we are on the brink of Jesus's rule on earth taking over (from what insight I have received from God of Abraham on this time period) and therefore no tears please, but joy instead Steve_.

OK to not want change.  Just not OK to attempt to 'change people's minds' about their own walk with the Lord*.  They need to see this for themselves and not be coerced into changing by us who do not know what the Lord wants from us right now.  I quote a nice article below about not coercing people or forcing people to accept our viewpoints about walking with the Lord (not really any different that bringing someone to the Lord), but instead just honest witnessing and allowing the Holy Spirit involvement instead works best.

Perhaps my own situation was just a way for God to lead me to the truth of that Church's long term issues that now i can begin to renounce them and pray for them verses just get upset over the entire situation there (in the Church I shared about).

Quote from article "How Do I Lead Others to Christ":

*"John 3:1-8 tells of the new birth experience of Nicodemus. Anyone desiring to lead another person to Christ needs to be aware of verse 8: “The wind blows where it wills, and you hear the sound of it, and you don’t know where it comes from or where it’s going. So it is with everyone that is born of the Spirit.” No human being can make this happen. It has to do with the Spirit. In any situation, depend upon the Holy Spirit to present opportunities to minister the truth and life of Jesus. Then, let the Holy Spirit take it from there."

source: http://www.jackhayford.org/teaching/articles/how-do-i-lead-others-to-christ/

My viewpoint isn't so narrow that I look only to church attendance as the a way to show our faith. "You probably" assumes my beliefs are so static I could never change. Its also a tad pompous of you. 

My walk as a Christian involves a 24/7 365 life of repentance and faith. I also do my best to share the good news of Jesus Christ as God allows. I'm in church 1 hour a week.